Highlights for Thursday April 13th

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2000

      Hans and Dan; but seriously

      Hans:
      [snip]
      Someone said that seriousness is a real disease and i think that is so.

      Yes, humor is good, good humor especially good,
      and taking things lightly is an art.
      However, on the other hand...

      "There are many here among us, who think that life is
      but a joke"
      Bob Dylan

      and J. Krishnamurti often said (paraphrasing),
      "Ask one question deeply, seriously, with
      all your energy."

      -- D. --

      And he is right. And i add, look very seriously into a joke that hits you
      like lightning, with all your energy.
      I am serious, very serious.

      Love,
      Hans

      D: Sounds good to me.
      Laughing your head off,
      along with all other parts
      of your body,
      Is very serious.

      Quietly laughing
      as the parade marches on,
      Dan

      Jerry and neo; acting or being

      Dear Jerry

      I think you said it in acting positive vs being positive. If you are
      love, if that is your being, you are positive. Is the last statement
      of these messages not positive?

      love, neo

      Yes. I think that's the confusion. In the workplace they
      want people who act positive. That's what the masses want.
      They can handle that. Everyone's an actor. To BE positive is
      to be in touch with reality. The masses may think that such
      a person is 'acting' negatively, because all they know is
      acting. You either act positively or negatively in this
      life. No one's allowed to be real, or truly positive. You
      have to pretend to be positive.

      I hope this doesn't sound too negative.

      Jerry

      Gene and Melody; Giving up the Implant

      M: Do we give it up by becoming it?

      Gene: "I Am That". Already 'it'... and 'IT'.

      M: Or is that simply a way of holding onto it?

      "I Am That". Holder and held.

      M: It has been a part of me so long,
      I would feel empty without it.

      "I Am That". Emptiness and fullness.

      M: And that's the rub...isn't it?

      love,
      Melody

      Gene: Yes, indeed... that is the rub.

      As I have discussed extensively, our 'identities' stem from
      'agreements' (compromises) made during our PRE-VERBAL period of
      development. As bizarre as these agreements tend to be, made between
      infant and 'other', these bizarre agreements form the foundation of
      ALL SUBSEQUENT AGREEMENTS.

      Our initial agreements are the criteria which must be OBEYED as we
      form all later agreements. Can you see how this is a virtual
      guarantee of disaster?

      Rooting out and feeling our initial agreements can be done. In my
      'case', 15 years of psychotherapy actually was a big help. But that
      is 'just what I did'. I am very grateful to be able to manifest an
      'identity' other than that of a 2-year old.

      To realize that there is no actual arbitrary qualifier, frees; any
      criteria held by you is indeed, held by you. As someone pointed out
      the other day... "the thoughts you think, are YOUR thoughts".

      To take on choice itself is what is called for... and this means to
      abandon 'choices'. Choice in this context is sheer possibility, which
      includes 'everything and nothing'. This is freedom.

      The authoritarian context of the world-dream offers only 'choices';
      to seize CHOICE is your choice, and is what has been called 'the
      choiceless choice', because when you consider it, it is the only
      choice. In a manner of speaking!

      Enjoying Choosing,

      Choosing Enjoying,

      ==Gene Poole==

      Gene; Heavy Nuggets

      Panning for gold

      Do you know
      How to pan for gold?
      A shovel of earth
      Washed in a pan of water,

      The skill of panning
      Lies in patience
      As agitation
      Is the method;

      What was muddy
      Becomes clear
      Sediments lift
      And are poured out

      Leaving only
      The heaviest materials
      Now exposed
      To view;

      What is persistent
      Is the most valuable
      Both in content
      And in habit,

      Gold is found in the pan,
      Proper panning is gold;
      Value lies not only in product,
      But also in process.

      ==Gene Poole==

      Terry, musing

      friends,

      As I was driving home for lunch I was considering the concept of love,
      and of the pleasure we take in love, and the concept of consciousness. The
      hindus speak of the identity of love, bliss, and consciousness, in the term
      *satchitananda*. The experience of enlightenment may be explained as an
      insight which allows us to realize the identity of love, bliss and
      consciousness.
      Consciousness, or awareness, is generally not realized to be bliss, or
      love. It is easy to associate bliss and love, because we expect to feel
      really good when we feel love. When you think about, though, you may
      realize that love is caring, and caring can be painful when those we care
      for are suffering; this is called compassion. When we suffer with those we
      love, as we care for ourselves when we are in pain, we may not think of love
      as pleasant; love can hurt, too.
      Similarly, consciousness may be 'stained' or 'defiled' by
      identification with the contents of consciousness, the impressions
      (*samskaras*, to the buddhist). For example, if we are conscious of pain,
      we may feel that consciousness is a painful business.
      Thus, love and awareness may regarded as painful or hurtful, rather
      than blissful, or joyous.
      The spiritual worker - and it is in this sense that discipline comes
      into practice (or play) - wants to realize the blissfulness of love and
      consciousness, and to free all beings from suffering. This is a process of
      realization (insight) and purification (practice).
      Realization may sought from teaching, from reading scripture and of the
      words and lives of the saints, and by the practice of meditation or
      comtemplation. Purification is a constant process of using our awareness
      (or faith) to increase awareness (or love). When love or consciousness
      appears to cause suffering, it is a matter of attachment (or clinging). The
      basic insight that love, consciousness and bliss are one at the root needs
      to be held in faith and practiced by seeing through attachments. Pain is a
      fleeting sensation, as is pleasure; the bliss of love and consciousness is a
      constant thing, always there underlying everything, the Ground of reality,
      the empty void in which all apparent things take place.
      You may note the utter simplicity of this, as one term after another is
      demonstrated to be an identity. (The numerology of the I Ching is to the
      same end. 10,000 = 64 = 8 = 3 = 2 = 1 = 0.)

      aloha, terry

      Dan; Say It

      It's clear that words are not
      able to carry the knowing