Wed./April 12

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14 3:44 AM

      As a spittoon

      It is no wonder
      That you now resist
      Playing the role

      Of being the repository
      Of the ejaculations
      Of others.

      GENE POOLE

      As I have discussed extensively, our 'identities' stem from
      'agreements' (compromises) made during our PRE-VERBAL period of
      development. As bizarre as these agreements tend to be, made between
      infant and 'other', these bizarre agreements form the foundation of
      ALL SUBSEQUENT AGREEMENTS.

      Our initial agreements are the criteria which must be OBEYED as we
      form all later agreements. Can you see how this is a virtual
      guarantee of disaster?

      Rooting out and feeling our initial agreements can be done. In my
      'case', 15 years of psychotherapy actually was a big help. But that
      is 'just what I did'. I am very grateful to be able to manifest an
      'identity' other than that of a 2-year old.

      To realize that there is no actual arbitrary qualifier, frees; any
      criteria held by you is indeed, held by you. As someone pointed out
      the other day... "the thoughts you think, are YOUR thoughts".

      To take on choice itself is what is called for... and this means to
      abandon 'choices'. Choice in this context is sheer possibility, which
      includes 'everything and nothing'. This is freedom.

      The authoritarian context of the world-dream offers only 'choices';
      to seize CHOICE is your choice, and is what has been called 'the
      choiceless choice', because when you consider it, it is the only
      choice. In a manner of speaking!

      Enjoying Choosing,

      Choosing Enjoying,

      ==Gene Poole==

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      Thanks for the reminder Gene. Instead of rational or
      emotional, a little observational:

      The stereotype which BTW can be frequently met in NG's too is
      that males translate their emotions into arguments whereas
      females will directly express the emotions, eventually with
      the reasons for it. That difference by itself can give enough
      ammo to keep "discussion" going for a long time and
      particularly in NG's about health and animal rights it can get
      rather extreme, making the NDS look like a sanctuary :) Apart
      from that, even if arguments are convincing they remain
      without effect (like on diet and smoking) and emotions as
      "convincers" are just as worthless because, to mention one
      example, all the sadness and misery of WWII didn't prevent the
      massacres/wars in Tibet, Bosnia, Rwanda and Kosovo, to name
      just a few. This doesn't mean all hope is lost, simply I never
      had nor will have any hope/wish to "solve" anything:)

      MANCHINE

      Love is not so much bliss and joy
      as it is the way through
      Without it we go back as we came.

      Love does not live in itself
      Outside of love is nothing
      Within it is all

      Love IS within

      HANS

      It seems that WHATEVER enters the mind ceases to be real, unless of course
      it's a splinter :)
      *the context of mind wrapped around it* appeals very much to me. This seems
      to be so for me. I can not speak for others.
      i also notice a hunger for experience in myself which IMO seems to be the
      desire for control in disguise which makes unreal things look very real and
      personal. On the other hand, even unreal things are part of Reality. If not,
      it simply would not exist. Or we are simply making things up by defining
      them as *real* and *unreal*. In other words, they either exist both or
      neither one exist. The socalled *real* and *unreal* can not be separated but
      by the mind. Realizing this, why bother about the *real* and the *unreal*.
      Who or what is it in which all this appears ?

      XAN

      Funny thing, this drop being only of ocean,
      and yet forgetting and then remembering ...

      ***

      Truth is one. No types, no sets, no them.
      Ideas are many but truth is no idea.
      In fact, if something is many, variable and subject to belief
      you can be sure it is not Truth which eternally only itself.

      ***

      You are always in Love
      and you can only Love yourself,
      the Changeless One in which even space is.
      There is no beginning, no middle, and no end to it.
      Only Love is worth Loving and this is your own Self.

      Papaji

      MARK OTTER

      I was just reading in Shambala Sun, the article The Practice of Love, by
      John Welwood, and came across the Sanskrit word maitri, which means
      unconditional friendliness, or loving kindness, or unconditional
      positive regard (metta in Pali). As I was looking at the word on the
      page, this 3 year old voice in me rose up and asked in an innocent and
      simultaneously plaintive voice "May I try?"

      ROGER ISAACS

      "The only purpose of this human birth, which is very
      difficult to get, is to realize God and hence terminate this incessant cycle
      of birth and death."

      Who is it that wants to escape this cycle of birth & death? Such Hindu
      escapist doctrine is just more vain exercise of egoic identification
      attempting to acquire some imagined goal, trying to gain some imagined
      security. Believers in such nonsense sometimes become impractical & avoid
      appropriate worldly responsibilities.

      There is a razor's edge to walk here. In the west we have fallen off the
      razor to one side claiming that only matter exists, scientists sometimes
      claim that consciousness is only an artifact of having a material brain.

      In the east they have fallen off the other side of the razor claiming that
      an escape from the material world into a pseudo Spirit separate from matter
      is the thing. They make this imagined/projected Spiritual escape superior to
      the higher discovery of material creation as a projection of spirit.

      This "spirit superior to matter" or wanting to "get off the wheel of karma"
      is an egoic trap, an illusion in itself.

      Isn't material creation the expression of God? Why would we want to escape
      God as material existence? How is LOVE served by escaping from the
      challenges of this material world ?!

      The world constantly provides the challenges necessary for each individual
      to realize the truth. Escapism is a diversion, it's a failure to take
      advantage of the divine opportunity present in every moment.

      MATTHEW FILES

      Belief in the reality of "me" definitely needs to be examined, and perhaps even
      more necessary is the examination of the belief that there is no longer a
      "me". This "me" will continue to exist but that doesnt mean that the
      belief in it as an exclusive entity needs to exist.

      The following appeared on Petros-Truth:

      ------------------------

      from Ch. 1 of the Ribhu Gita, vv. 35-38

      35.
      I truly am the Highest Truth;
      I truly am ultimate Joy.
      I truly am nothing buy Myself.
      I truly am nothing but God.

      36.
      I am nothing but pure Consciousness,
      Possessed by that Divine Truth beyond "knowledge,"
      A knowledge without words to speak.
      I truly am nothing but God.

      37.
      There is no "meaning" to Life;
      For I am That,
      The Maker of all meanings.
      I truly am nothing but God.

      38.
      I abide unalloyed, forever.
      I am nothing but Joy and Freedom.
      I truly am nothing but God.
      I truly am "you," for you (as you) are not, save as you are
      Me.

      Silly people
      Doing silly things.
      These too are one.

      >From the Heart of Awakening - Mu

      TIM GERCHMEZ

      Once upon a time, there were billions of bubbles drifting in an endless,
      timeless, expansive void, something like empty space or pure awareness.
      Inside each bubble existed some of the empty space outside it, but also a
      cloud of memories, images and habits. Most bubbles were either unaware of
      the empty space inside them, or so focused on the memories and habits that
      they did not perceive the awareness-space.

      The walls of each bubble were more or less permeable. Many had managed to
      make themselves totally impermeable, self-enclosed in a world of their own.

      The entire goal of each bubble was to strengthen its own sense of
      "Bubbleness." This it tried to do by doing these things:

      (1) Strengthen the outer membrane, so that neither the empty space nor
      other bubbles could intrude. The stronger and tougher the membrane, the
      more the bubbles felt they *existed*. You see, each bubble treasured its
      own separation, and at the same time was utterly terrified of the idea of
      its nonexistence. It was so used to being a bubble that it did not even
      perceive the space in which it floated, and most did not even perceive the
      space within. Most of the bubbles were entirely ignorant of what lied
      outside them, and were obsessively focused on their membranes, and the
      contents of memory within.

      (2) Constrict, to become smaller, so that there was more of the
      memory-habit content and less of Awareness. You see, the bubbles were
      terrified of the Awareness they contained within. It intimated of the
      empty space that lied outside them, the unknown. They had been bubbles so
      long that they had forgotten what they were and where they were. Yet, as
      bubbles, they suffered and caused other bubbles to suffer. The bubbles
      were something like prisoners that had been in prison so long that they had
      become totally institutionalized, and were terrified of parole.

      The individual bubbles were so self-enclosed that they could not
      communicate with the other bubbles. To strengthen their membranes and
      constrict further, they bumped up against other bubbles. This bumping was
      termed by the bubbles as either "love" or "hate." Both the words "love"
      and "hate" were used to describe a bump against another bubble. By bumping
      and pressing against each other, the sense of separation was increased, and
      the membranes of each bubble strengthened. The "hate" bumps were often
      violent, even attempting to pop other bubbles, while the "love" bumps were
      more of the nature of prolonged pressing. Yet the results were the same.
      Even when a bubble had pressed against another bubble a long time, and
      somehow wanted to merge with that bubble, the membranes of each made it
      impossible.

      Often, bubbles delighted in popping or trying to deflate other bubbles. It
      strengthened their own membranes to do so.

      Each bubble had a specific lifespan. When a bubble died, it popped, yet
      through habit and desire the contents of memories and habits were held
      together just long enough for another membrane to form around them. When
      a bubble popped and re-formed, the previous contents of memory were
      sublimated or hidden away, and new memories began to form, thus making each
      bubble a part of an endless cycle. Again and again, membranes formed,
      dissolved and re-formed around collections of memories and desires.

      The bubbles usually referred to their membranes as "I" or "me," and
      considered them the center around which the internal contents of memory and
      desires flowed. Rather than seeing the membrane as the outer part of
      themselves, they thought the membrane to be the innermost part, while
      thinking the inside contents the outer. Very few of the bubbles ever
      managed to see past this illusion.

      Very rarely, but occasionally, a bubble began to focus on its membrane, and
      wonder if there could be anything outside it. Most bubbles were so
      terrified of anything outside them that they could not even entertain the
      possibility that they were bubbles. Occasionally, though, a bubble became
      conscious of the fact that it was a bubble, and somehow realized that the
      membrane, the "I," was their own outer shell, not their center. These rare
      bubbles began to believe that there might be something outside of their
      membranes, and that perhaps whatever was outside them was not threatening,
      but would give them a new kind of freedom - something much greater than
      just being a bubble. Somehow, they sensed that the endless expanse was so
      much greater than what was trapped within the membrane.

      ... To Be Continued....