#3269 - Saturday, May 17, 2008

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2008

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3169, Saturday, May 17, 2008

      Reality is simply the loss of the ego. Destroy the ego by seeking its identity. It will automatically vanish and reality will shine forth by itself. This is the direct method.

      There is no greater mystery than this, that we keep seeking reality though in fact we are reality. We think that there is something hiding our reality and that something must be destroyed before reality is gained. How ridiculous! A day will dawn when you will laugh at all your past efforts. That which will be on the day you laugh is also here and now.

      - Ramana Maharsh, from The Essence of Wisdom

      People think you have to be going some place, when, in fact, the ride is plenty.

      Ann Patchett, posted to DailyDharma

      If life is not play for you, you have made it unnecessarily serious.

      - Swami Amar Jyoti

      Let yourself be one big open book. We are a bunch of newborn babies looking around at each other. No one has taught us anything yet, so we don't know better than to just drink each other in. Isn't it thrilling?

      We were taught to skip over this being on our way to something that made sense, so the invitation is to just rest here in complete nonsense. For no good reason, doing nothing of import, not having a single coherent thought, just resting in the nonsensical, this being. Just this. It needs no proof, it needs no defense. Just because.

      There is a vast world outside the world created and interpreted by the everyday mind, which is very conditioned to think the way everyone else thinks, to adopt the same strategies that our forebears attempted to use to bring them everlasting peace and happiness. Until we either get it completely wrong and run our ship aground, or we get all the good stuff and we're still hungry. So this is the good news in this room between worlds where nothing makes sense. That this being, that this sweet being that you already are is the source of all that you're hungering for in every other corner of the external world.

      - Jeannie Zandi

      Sagacity

      Despair to my mother was I in my youth,
      For I was considered inept and uncouth;
      Unkempt and unruly
      Was infant Yours Truly.

      Throughout tempestuous puberty
      She battled my uncoutherty,
      And with a stern unfoolishness
      Coped with my unrulishness.

      My mother (flushed with her success)
      Then tackled my unkemptliness
      And with relentless recitude
      Conquered my ineptitude.

      How well my mother schooled me,
      How well my mother fooled me,
      At last I've discovered the terrible truth -
      It's no fun being ept, kempt, ruly or couth.

      -- Roslyn Taylor

      Mr Kartoffel

      Mr Kartoffel's a whimsical man;
      He drinks his beer from a watering can
      , And for no good reason that I can see
      He fills his pockets with china tea.
      He parts his hair with a knife and fork
      And takes his ducks on a Sunday walk.
      Says he, "If my wife and I should choose
      To wear our stockings outside our shoes,
      Plant tulip bulbs in the baby's pram
      And eat tobacco instead of jam
      And fill the bath with cauliflowers,
      That's nobody's business at all but ours."
      Says Mrs. K., "I may choose to travel
      With a sack of grass or a sack of gravel,
      Or paint my toes, one black, one white,
      Or sit on a bird's nest half the night -
      But whatever I do that is rum or rare,
      I rather think that is my affair.
      So fill up your pockets with stamps and string,
      And let us be ready for anything!"
      Says Mr. K. to his whimsical wife,
      "How can we face the storms of life,
      Unless we are ready for anything?
      So if you've provided the stamps and the string,
      Let us pump up the saddle and harness the horse
      And fill him with carrots and custard and sauce,
      Let us leap on him lightly and give him a shove
      And it's over the sea and away, my love!"

      -- James Reeves

      The Trouble With Geraniums

      The trouble with geraniums
      is that they're much too red!