#3163 - Sunday, May 11, 2008

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2008

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3163, Sunday, May 11, 2008

      Nature does not know or care about the world or man-made opposites.
      Nature is perfectly satisfied and happy to produce a world of
      infinite, rapturous variety that knows nothing about pretty or ugly,
      ethical or unethical. Nature never apologizes for anything, nor does
      it see or acknowledge anything of man's misconceived errors of
      opposition.

      -Ramesh Balsekar, posted to ANetofJewels

      God-communication is the best communication that true spiritualism can teach us.

      Bowl of Saki, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      The most profound inspiration comes always from the divine mind, and
      to God alone the credit is due. Even if an inspiration comes through
      the mind of a person living on earth or through a soul who has passed
      on to the other side, it still has come from God, for all knowledge
      and wisdom belong to God.

      It is a fault on the part of mankind to attribute inspiration to some
      limited being who is nothing but a shadow covering God. When a person
      believes that an old Egyptian comes from the other side to inspire
      him or that an American Indian comes to lead him on his way, he
      builds a wall between himself and God. Instead of receiving directly
      from the source that is perfect and all sufficient, he is picturin
      his limited idea, making it a screen between himself and God.

      Is not God enough for our souls, and is He not sufficient to inspire
      us and to illuminate our wills and guide our souls? Is he any less of
      a friend here or in the spirit life? He is the great well-wisher. In
      Him mercy is complete. He is the Soul of all souls. When we devote
      ourselves to the thought of Him, all illumination and revelation are
      ours. God-communication is the best communication that true
      spiritualism can teach us.

      Thus the ultimate purpose, for which the soul is seeking every moment
      of our life, is our spiritual purpose. And you may ask how to attain
      to that purpose. The answer is that what you are seeking for is
      within yourself. Instead of looking outside, you must look within.
      The way to proceed to accomplish this is for some moments to suspend
      all your senses such as sight, hearing, smell, touch, in order to put
      a screen before the outside life. And by concentration and by
      developing that meditative quality you will sooner or later get in
      touch with the inner Self which is more communicative, which speaks
      more loudly than all the noises of this world. And this gives joy,
      creates peace, and produces in you a self-sufficient spirit, a spirit
      of independence, of true liberty. The moment you get in touch with
      your Self you are in communion with God. It is in this way, if God-
      communication is sought rightly, that spirituality is attained.

      - posted to SufiMystic

      Two Kinds of Deliverance

      1

      Last night the geese came back,
      slanting fast
      from the blossom of the rising moon down
      to the black pond. A muskrat
      swimming in the twilight saw them and hurried

      to the secret lodges to tell everyone
      spring had come.

      And so it had.
      By morning when I went out
      the last of the ice had disappeared, blackbirds
      sang on the shores. Every year
      the geese, returning,
      do this, I don't
      know how.

      2

      The curtains opened and there was
      an old man in a headdress of feathers,
      leather leggings and a vest made
      from the skin of some animal. He danced

      in a kind of surly rapture, and the trees
      in the fields far away
      began to mutter and suck up their long roots.
      Slowly they advanced until they stood
      pressed to the schoolhouse windows.

      3

      I don't know
      lots of things but I know this: next year
      when spring
      flows over the starting point I'll think I'm going to
      drown in the shimmering miles of it and then
      one or two birds will fly me over
      the threshold.

      As for the pain
      of others, of course it tries to be
      abstract, but then

      there flares up out of a vanished wilderness, like fire,
      still blistering: the wrinkled face
      of an old Chippewa
      smiling, hating us,
      dancing for his life

      . Mary Oliver

      From Unseen Rain

      Don't let your throat tighten
      with fear. Take sips of breath
      all day and night. Before death
      closes your mouth.

      There's no love in me without your being,
      no breath without that. I once thought
      I could give up this longing, then though again,
      But I couldn't continue being human.

      - Rumi

      Two Kinds of Intelligence

      There are two kinds of intelligence: One acquired,
      as a child in school memorizes facts and concepts
      from books and from what the teacher says,
      collecting information from the traditional sciences
      as well as from the new sciences.

      With such intelligence you rise in the world
      . You get ranked ahead or behind others
      in regard to your competence in retaining
      information. You stroll with this intelligence
      in and out of fields of knowledge, getting always more
      marks on your preserving tablets.

      There is another kind of tablet, one
      already completed and preserved inside you.
      A spring overflowing its springbox. A freshness
      in the center of the chest. This other intelligence
      does not turn yellow or stagnate. It's fluid,
      and it doesn't move from outside to inside
      through the conduits of plumbing-learning.

      This second knowing is a fountainhead
      from within you, moving out.
      Rumi, Mathnawi IV:1960-1968

      Drop asking "why" and simply become totally
      involved in the absolutely wonderful miracle of
      life just as it is, right here, right now. Can you
      not see that whatever has just happened for you
      at this moment has never happened before and
      will never happen again? It is totally unique and
      fresh and innocent, and it is here and then it isn't.
      Isn't that just great?

      - Tony Parsons, from As It Is - The Open Secret of Spiritual Awakening, posted to AlongTheWay