#3159 - Wednesday, May 7, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2008
      #3159 - Wednesday, May 7, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights -

      On this day (May 6) in 1862, Henry David Thoreau died of tuberculosis. He was 44. His aunt asked him if he was at peace with God. Thoreau said, "I was not aware that we had quarreled." The last clear thing he said was, "Now comes good sailing," and then two words: "moose" and "Indian."

      When he was dying, Heisenberg said to von Weizsäcker, "It is very easy: I did not know this before." At another moment he said, "I see now that physics is of no importance, that the world is illusion." He passed away in peace.

      — Paul Brunton, Notebooks Category 9: From Birth to Rebirth > Chapter 1: Death, Dying, and Immortality > # 104
      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      "We cannot be considered the true captain
      of our own vessel in life until we realize
      that while it is our duty to be on deck
      at all times with our eyes on the horizon,
      it is the wind that moves us, and the sea
      that keeps us afloat. "

      ~Guy Finley

      If we were not so single-minded
      about keeping our lives moving,
      and for once could do nothing,
      perhaps a huge silence
      might interrupt this sadness of never
      understanding ourselves
      and of threatening ourselves with death.

      ~ Pablo Neruda

      Gill
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk/

      Alan Larus

      "Most people view themselves as waves
      and forget that they are also water.
      They are used to living birth-and-death,
      and they forget about no-birth-and-death.
      A wave also lives the life of water, and
      we also live the life of no-birth-no-death.
      We only need to know that we are living
      the life of no-birth-no-death.  All is in
      the word `know.'  To know is to realize.
      Realization is mindfulness.  All the work
      of meditation is aimed at awakening us in
      order to know one and only one thing:
      birth and death can never touch us in any
      way whatsoever."

      ~Thich Nhat Hanh

      From "The Sun My Heart"

      ---
      gill
      www.allspirit.co.uk

      About David Whyte

      Timeline (1955 - )

      It is Not Enough

      It is not enough to know.
      It is not enough to follow
      the inward road conversing in secret.

      It is not enough to see straight ahead,
      to gaze at the unborn
      thinking the silence belongs to you.

      It is not enough to hear
      even the tiniest edge of rain.

      You must go to the place
      where everything waits,
      there, when you finally rest,
      even one word will do,
      one word or the palm of your hand
      turning outward
      in the gesture of gift.

      And now we are truly afraid
      to find the great silence
      asking so little.

      One word, one word only.

      "It is Not Enough" from Where Many Rivers Meet by David Whyte.  Copyright © 1990, 2004 by David Whyte.  Used by permission of the author and Many Rivers Press (www.davidwhyte.com)  All rights reserved.

      Here are the last words
      of Zen Master Seung Sahn:

      The Human Route

      Coming empty-handed, going empty-handed ...
      that is human.
      When you are born, where do you come from?
      When you die, where do you go?
      Life is like a floating cloud which appears.
      Death is like a floating cloud which disappears.
      The floating cloud itself originally does not exist.
      Life and death, coming and going, are also like that.
      But there is one thing which always remains clear.
      It is pure and clear, not depending on life and death.

      Then what is the one pure and clear thing?

      posted by ts