#3143 - Monday, April 21, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2008
      #3143 - Monday, April 21, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights
      - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDhighlights

      Haiku, and the Art of Disappearing

      Gabriel Rosenstock April 6th, 2008

      Would you like to disappear? Haiku can show you the way!

      ‘How painful it is to see people all wrapped up in themselves,’ commented Ryokan. Well, it’s unwrapping time, for all of us now, time to let go. How? Let’s see!

      Haiku is an ardent, inspired and inspiring engagement with everyday life, an intercourse with nature-centred events, mainly, events that are happening around us all the time but which we perceive more keenly on the haiku path. Read true haiku with reverence, write true haiku - do it right and you can disappear, happily, now — and over and over again in the course of your life.

      ***

      There’s a professor in Chicago who has been studying happiness. What is happiness? It’s all about flow, maintains Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi in Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement with Everyday Life: ‘The metaphor of ‘flow’ is one that many people have used to describe the sense of effortless action they feel in moments that stand out as the best in their lives …’

      ***

      Catechism… Sometimes it appears that the cat knows more than we do, learning from experience, fitting into the world, and disappearing from it, more gracefully than we can:

            the cat
                  walks into the autumn wind -
                        extended whiskers

                        Murayama Kokyō
                        (Version: GR)

      nothing
            she doesn’t know –
                  the cat on the stove

            Fusei
            (Version: GR)

      / Photo by fazen /

            from darkness
                  and back into the dark
                        the affairs of the cat!

                        Issa
                        (Version: GR)

      from what unknowable universe
            beyond Hubble –
                  the cat’s green stare
                              GR

      ***

      Disappearing in the haiku moment… Think about moments of flow, ordinary or extraordinary events in your life in which you have experienced flow: it may have been entering another dimension while dancing, or when engaged in some aesthetic pursuit – music, pottery or painting; it may have been lovemaking, or the highlight of some athletic activity, or simply watching the dawn, or the stars, in some exotic location. You needn’t strip fitter as athlete, hill-walker or lover, no need to book a trip to Kerala or Kerry. You can flow now with haiku, like water, like a cloud.

      Wandering monks were called unsui in Japan, literally ‘cloud and water’.

      Bashō moved about quite a bit and caught the beauty of flow and stillness, the intermingling textures of life:

            The squid seller’s call
            mingles with the voice
                  of the cuckoo

      (Matsuo Basho, Poems, trans. Robert Hass, PoemHunter.com, 2004)

      It is your static, self-conscious, unflowing self which makes you so stolidly visible, so permanently present to others and to yourself. Disappear for a while. True haikuists will show you the way because they have developed a magnetic capacity to attract the haiku moment.

      ***

      Disappearing in the flame… Mystics will show you what true haikuists already know:

      Hildegard of Bingen, Hildegard of Bingen poetry, Christian poetry‘I, the fiery life of divine essence, am aflame beyond the beauty of the meadows, I gleam in the waters, and I burn in the sun, moon and stars … I awaken everything to life.’

      It was Hildegard von Bingen who uttered those magnificent words. What a haikuist she would have made, had she known of the technique, given her life-long engagement with the secret life of plants and stones. Another German mystic, Angelus Silesius, was a master of minimalist verse; though his strange couplets are generally too abstract to resemble haiku, he presents us with a fine, if cryptic, reason for disappearing:

            God, whose love and joy are present everywhere,
                  Can’t come to visit you unless you aren’t there!

                              (Version: GR)

      ***

      Disappearing in the ordinary… Haiku poems focus on ordinary, seasonal goings on around us. Some form of brain synchronization happens in the haiku moment and the ordinary becomes extraordinary. We do not need a magic wand, or magic mushrooms, to disappear. A turnip can take us there, a tree, a crow, a shadow on a lake, the hissing of geese.

      Meher Baba reminds us: ‘The best way to cleanse the heart and prepare for the stilling of the mind is to lead a normal, worldly life .’

                  i m’aonar anocht
                        leis na torbáin
                              leis an gcruinne

      alone tonight
            with the tadpoles
                  with the universe

                  GR

      Kobayashi Issa, Kobayashi Issa poetry, Buddhist poetryin the silver dewdrops
            vanishing …
                  my house

                        Issa
                        (Trans. David G. Lanoue)

      The haikuist can disappear first thing in the morning, last thing at night, each haiku moment being a cleansing of the heart, a stilling of the mind, a vanishing.

      —

      Excerpted by permission from Haiku: the gentle art of disappearing, by Gabriel Rosenstock.

      Gabriel Rosenstock is the author/translator of over 100 books, including 12 volumes of poetry in Irish and a number of volumes of bilingual haiku.

      Discovered on http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/blog/

      http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/blog/2008/04/06/haiku-and-the-art-of-disappearing/