#3134 - Saturday, April 12, 2008

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13 9:21 AM

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3134, Saturday, April 12, 2008

      Meditation Practice

      With practice, one will gradually have fewer and fewer deluded thoughts. Too many thoughts in the mind make it difficult to perceive things clearly. The fewer the thoughts, the fewer the problems. If we had no random or controlling thoughts, then all problems would disappear. We would find ourselves in harmony with others and our environment. Our judgment would be unbiased, and we would be able to accept the good and bad things that come our way without undue emotional turmoil.

      - Ch'an Master Sheng-yen, posted to DailyDharma

      To remember what needs to be remembered is the secret of success.
      You come to it through earnestness.

      The activity of 'knowing' is 'from beyond' the form - (this is so obvious we miss it). - That knowing-ness, itself, is formless, colorless, tasteless. - All these aspects, forms, colors, flavors etc. are all appearances in the knowing which is obviously prior to these transient appearances.

      Gilbert Schultz, posted to NondualitySalon

      It is well known and admitted that only with the help of the mind can the mind be killed. But instead of setting about saying there is a mind, and I want to kill it, you begin to seek the source of the mind, and you find the mind does not exist at all. The Mind, turned outwards, results in thoughts and objects. Turned inwards, it becomes itself the Self.

      - Sri Ramana Maharshi, posted to SufiMystic

      suffering is the child of belief in my thoughts...

      -Lisa Vallon, posted to TheNow_2

      ----------------------

      A fine distillation.

      And a useful point for me to take away from this.

      Some with a philosophy of "being in the Now" consider that having thoughts itself is a sure sign of not being fully present. I've never agreed with that view. I've had trouble, however, talking about thought processes that are "free" vs. those that are part of a mechanism conditioning. Lisa's statement is an Aha! for me in that regard.

      One can be completely in the Now and still think about a physics problem, an electrical problem, etc. The thoughts that should be a flag are those that are about ourselves. And it seems that to believe in a thought means to connect it back to oneself.

      Bill Rishel, posted to TheNow_2

      ------------------------

      However, the lie is in the beLIEf.
      It fosters the world of imagination and creates worlds.

      Experience is something else; leaves nothing to beLIEve in.

      - Anna Ruiz, posted to TheNow_2

      -------------------------

      experience leaves nothing to believe in,

      so we believe in the Great No Thing

      ... hehehe, that's true belief

      - John Bailey, posted to TheNow_2

      What we are, what we can be, what we become
      are just flux points
      in a vastness we can never comprehend.

      Freedom and okayness are twin,
      umbilically joined.

      Peace walks silently beyond
      curling the carpet of destiny
      in soft brush of its robe.

      A sparrow falls to the ground,
      a dart from Heaven's breast.

      What we take up
      and what we leave
      What we carry
      and what we shed
      simply odd curliques,
      doodles on the Wall of Life.

      A Gaze of Vastness
      ripples through now...
      I feel carried in its train.

      - Bill Rishel, posted to TheNow_2

      The mind is only a bundle of thoughts. The thoughts have their root in the I-thought. Whoever investigates the True "I" enjoys the stillness of bliss.

      - Ramana Maharshi