#3103 - Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2008
      #3103 - Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDhighlights

      EVERYDAY LIFE IS THE PATH

      Joshu asked Nansen: `What is the path?'
      Nansen said: `Everyday life is the path.'
      Joshu asked: `Can it be studied?'
      Nansen said: `If you try to study, you will be far away from it.'
      Joshu asked: `If I do not study, how can I know it is the path?'
      Nansen said: `The path does not belong to the perception world,
      neither does it belong to the nonperception world. Cognition is a
      delusion and non-cognition is senseless. If you want to reach the
      true path beyond doubt, place yourself in the same freedom as sky.
      You name it neither good nor not-good.'

      At these words Joshu was enlightened.

      In spring, hundreds of flowers; in autumn, a harvest moon;
      In the summer, a refreshing breeze;
      in winter, snow will accompany you.
      If useless things do not hang in your mind,
      any season is a good season for you."

      posted to AwakenedAwareness by Tom McFerran

      The Dharma of the Buddha is not found in books. If you want to really see for yourself what the Buddha was talking about you don't need to bother with books. Watch your own mind. Examine to see how feelings come and go, how thoughts come and go. Don't be attached to anything, just be mindful of whatever there is to see. This is the way to the truths of the Buddha. Be natural. Everything you do in your life is a chance to practice. It is all Dharma. When you do your chores try to be mindful. If you are emptying a spittoon or cleaning a toilet don't feel you are doing it as a favor for anyone else. There is Dharma in emptying spittoons. Don't feel you are practicing only when sitting still cross-legged. Some of you have complained that there is not enough time to meditate. Is there enough time to breathe? This is your meditation: mindfulness, naturalness in whatever you do.

      --Ajahn Chah, in Jack Kornfields Living Dharma

      The realization of samsara is the condition of Nibbana. As we recognize the cycles of habit and are no longer deluded by them or their qualities, we realize Nibbana. The Buddha-knowing is of just two things: the conditioned and the unconditioned. It is an immediate recognition of how things are right now, without grasping or attachment. At this moment we can be aware of the conditions of the mind, feelings in the body, what we're seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, smelling and thinking, and also of the emptiness of the mind. The conditioned and the unconditioned are what we can realize.

      So the Buddha's teaching is a very direct teaching. Our practice is not 'to become enlightened', but to be in the knowing, now.

      --Ajahn Sumheo (One of the Sources for Eckhart Tolle and an amazing person)

      Anapanasati
      http://www.buddhanet.net/nowknow2.htm

      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      by Alan Larus

      During the question and answer period after a lecture, someone said to
      Suzuki-roshi, "Here I sit near the end of this session energized and
      thinking, there is a lot of power in this practice."  Suzuki
      replied, "Don't use it."

      --Jack Van Allen

      *

      Once Suzuki Roshi was asked by someone, "How much ego do you need?" and
      Suzuki said, "Just enough so that you don't step in front of a bus."

      --Denis Samson

      posted to AwakenedAwareness by Tom McFerran

      "A 'position' is something that
      an Awakened One has done away with.

      What an Awakened One sees is this:

      'Such is form, such its origin,
      such its disappearance;
      such is feeling, such its origin,
      such its disappearance;
      such is perception...
      such are mental fabrications...
      such is consciousness,
      such its origin,
      such its disappearance.'

      Because of this, I say, an Awakened One —
      with the ending, fading out, cessation,
      renunciation, and relinquishment
      of all speculations,
      all conceptualizations,
      all I-making & mine-making
      and obsession with self-images —
      is, through lack of clinging/sustenance,
      released."

      --Buddha

      posted by Bob O'Hearn