#3079 - Sunday, February 17, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2008
      #3079 - Sunday, February 17, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Featured are selections from Roy Whenary's The Texture of Being. Further information is available through the following links:

      Roy is regularly quoted by nondual writers, such as Dennis Waite.

      CHAPTER 1
      LIVING ADVAITA

      Our Apparent separateness from the rest of the
      universe is not due to the universe being separate
      from us, but because we have contracted within
      our minds what we think we are.

      We must always be aware that our use of
      language is limited, is only representational ....
      We must be careful not to get trapped in words
      and definitions.

      When we really understand, we begin to use
      our own language, our own expression - we no
      longer stick to formulas and phrases that our
      teachers used.

      Spiritual understanding is not something which
      comes from the head, from the intellect - it comes
      from a deep feeling-level understanding.

      CHAPTER 2
      THE TEXTURE OF BEING

      It is with the ‘feeling’ that we truly
      understand and comprehend. The mind
      understands very little, because it is
      usually disconnected from reality.

      There is, in reality, nothing ‘personal’ about our
      life. Through our repetitive thinking processes
      and our emotional involvement, we have
      temporarily created this virtual entity that
      we call ‘me’ or ‘I’. Life knows no ‘me’ nor ‘I’ -
      it exists purely in our imagination.

      CHAPTER 3
      BEYOND THE DOER

      Acting from the ‘doer’, you are merely acting
      from repetition. There is nothing new or
      creative about anything that is born out
      of the ‘doer’ mentality.

      From a spiritual or scientific perspective, there is
      no substance to the ‘doer’, to the ego. It manifests
      in the world for a period of time and then is gone.

      The ‘doer’ is a contraction, a limitation, a
      prisoner of the mind. We are fixated by this
      non-entity, and this fixation causes tension
      and anxiety in all that we ‘do’.

      Imagine the quality and depth that comes
      from a mind that is not burdened by the
      sense of being a ‘doer’. Such a mind flows
      like water, like poetry.

      CHAPTER 4
      DIVING INTO THE BLISS

      We do not need to search in order to find our
      true being. We already are it, and the mind
      which searches for it is the very reason
      why we cannot find it.

      Everything that is done from the ego, the
      doer, always carries the flavour of
      incompleteness and dissatisfaction.

      In meditation, one sits with openness,
      not focused on arriving at a thought-free
      state nor focused on anything else.

      CHAPTER 5
      LOVING KINDNESS

      ‘Loving Kindness’ is a term used in Buddhism.
      It is a recognition of our oneness with each other.
      How can I be angry with you when I understand
      why you are the way that you are, when I
      comprehend your suffering and your intense
      desire for peace and joy? How can I feel anything
      but Loving Kindness towards another being who
      does not know how to find freedom, but
      ceaselessly causes suffering for himself and
      others because of his ignorance?

      There is nothing original, nothing different,
      nothing better or worse about you or I. We use the
      same materials in life. So what is so special or
      significant about ‘me’? Why do I put so much
      effort into ‘my’ welfare and enjoyment, and so
      little into yours - and vice versa?

      The atoms and molecules that make up your
      body are not personal to you.

      CHAPTER 6
      SEEKING HAPPINESS

      When we find the clarity of our true nature,
      all the obstacles to happiness fall away,
      revealing an inner joy which, like a flower,
      is always ready to respond to the light.

      If happiness is a state which comes and goes
      according to circumstances, is it really worth
      having? Happiness should never be seen as an
      object. It is not something which we can go out
      there and obtain. It is an inner attitude.

      CHAPTER 7
      LIVING IN THE WORLD

      We need to stand back from all that is going
      on in the world, enter that timeless part of
      ourselves and learn to feel what it is to be
      alive. Then we can live in the world if we
      wish, but not be a product of it.

      There are many obstacles to spiritual
      unfoldment in the modern world, but there
      is also an intensification of any awakening
      that begins to take place, because the chasm
      between what is going on in the world and the
      spiritual perspective is so vast that everything
      becomes clear and obvious.

      People use emotion in order to avoid really going
      deeply into the feeling. It is much easier to play
      around with emotion, manipulating other people
      through emotional blackmail, but never really
      going to the root of the problem, never seeing
      beneath the surface of life.

      CHAPTER 8
      DEATH AND SLEEP

      Time is a human invention. When we live
      by the clock, we miss the passing moments
      of life, which means that we do not live at
      all. These passing moments are all that
      we have. The rest is merely a dream.

      Everything that has a beginning must have
      an ending. It is only a matter of time, but life
      operates timelessly. Death only has meaning
      in terms of the particular, the individual
      who is caught up in the dream of a solid,
      permanent existent entity enduring for all
      time. Such a view is a complete illusion,
      having no basis in reality.

      CHAPTER 9
      BEYOND EMOTION

      When we live from the silent emptiness
      of our true nature something different
      happens. Instead of life being a continual
      regurgitation of old ideas and beliefs, it
      becomes a creative exploration, from
      moment to moment, of the unknown.

      The ego learns, in life, that in order to get
      what it wants, anger and aggression are very
      useful tools, so it uses them in order to
      manipulate situations to its advantage.
      That is what living in duality is about -
      protecting the interests of the ego.

      Emotional life is about the ego: “I want
      to be happy”, “I want to have this”, “I don’t
      want that”. All the emotions revolve
      around these issues.

      Negative emotions are like seeds within us.
      If we feed them, they will grow, and
      eventually they will take us over .....

      CHAPTER 10
      LIVING IN PEACE

      In order to bring peace into one’s life, one
      needs to first learn the art of acceptance and
      surrender to whatever reveals itself in every
      moment. This means ... no resistance.

      How is it that human beings can live
      for sixty, seventy, eighty or more years
      and still not find inner peace? Why is it
      not a priority in our lives?

      CHAPTER 11
      WORKING WITH THE BODY

      Living in the mind only is like living in
      a virtual world. It may be your personal
      reality, but that personal reality is still
      an illusion.

      In moving with the body we surrender our
      control, going into the pure feeling and
      sensation of the movement. There will be
      limitations in our ability to move, depending
      on our age and flexibility, but we do not need
      to react to these limitations or allow ourselves
      to be psychologically constricted by them.

      We will become aware of our breathing,
      which may seem tight and shallow. But we
      surrender all our ideas of how we should be
      physically, and go with the way things are.
      We do not identify with any limitations that
      we feel in our body, in our breathing, and we
      let go of any personal involvement. Then we
      find ourselves in the pure feeling of the moment.

      CHAPTER 12
      WHAT IS THE POINT?

      What you have now, which you do not
      have to struggle for, which you will never
      lose, but which you may not even know you
      have, is Being, in the silent emptiness
      of your true nature.

      What you are is the pure essential radiance of
      your true nature. This is what underlies the
      canvas of your life’s painting. All the
      negativity is little more than the dirt on a
      window, partially obscuring the view.

      CHAPTER 13
      THE PAIN OF SEPARATION

      When we live in the person, when we live
      in this little ‘self’ that we carry around
      everywhere, life brings us difficulties.

      When we are concerned about our own
      personal, individual interests, we immediately
      cut ourselves off from life. When we understand
      fundamentally that we are not this person,
      this body, this mind, and that we are really
      nothing less than ‘pure consciousness’ itself, then
      we also know that we do not need to
      suffer anymore. Indeed, we also know that
      there is no one here to suffer anyway and
      that there never was anyone here.

      There is a vast play unfolding in our universe -
      a play which goes on and on, a play in which
      all its actors, like phantoms, appear and
      disappear. The price that we pay for believing
      in the illusion of separateness, is pain and
      suffering. The yearning that most of us feel
      at some stage in our life is the yearning to
      return to our original purity, to our true
      nature, to the bliss of simply Being.

      CHAPTER 14
      RELATIONSHIPS

      When we meet each other outside of the mind,
      in the silent emptiness of our common true
      nature, then our relationship becomes not
      one of opposites or from different perspectives -
      it becomes a relationship from common
      understanding. Then we see the beauty in
      each other and instantly realize that the
      beauty in the other is identical with our own.

      Then we cease to try to control each other
      and, instead, rejoice in each others’ well-being
      and, indeed, our outward differences.

      CHAPTER 15
      TEACHERS & ENLIGHTENMENT

      We all have the potential to be awake, to be
      conscious, in the silent emptiness of our true
      nature. However, there are thousands of us who
      have studied spiritual writings and scriptures
      for decades and still are unable to break through
      the enclosure of the mind, to taste the nectar of
      realization directly. Thought cannot take us
      there. No prescribed practices will jolt us into
      this realization. No book will lead us there.

      The fact is that there is nowhere to go, nothing
      to realize and no one to realize it. We have
      created this myth about enlightenment and
      the enlightened seer, out of our own frustration
      and confusion. We have set them apart from
      ourselves, as something to achieve, something
      to reach out for, and in doing so have made
      them unattainable.

      Listening to the voice of our own true nature
      is what we really need to trust in. Then we need
      no outward teacher. The outward teacher then
      becomes, maybe, a source of inspiration and a
      motivating force rather than someone
      on whom we become dependent.

      CHAPTER 16
      WISDOM OF THE ORDINARY

      We need to stand back, sit back and relax
      into clarity. What we seek is already here.
      Truth, reality, are not at the end of some
      psychedelic trip, not the result of some
      magical ritual, but are right here and now.

      When we live in full openness, energy is not a
      problem - it just flows through us without any
      effort. When we abuse ourselves or cling to
      certain psychological states, the energy flow is
      naturally inhibited, and we need to boost it
      by excessive and dubious means.

      CHAPTER 17
      LIVING IN THE PRESENT MOMENT

      If you cannot live in the present moment,
      there is no other time to live. This is what
      is on offer - this is your opportunity to
      manifest your destiny.

      Living in and accepting the present moment
      does not confine you to your present
      circumstances. When your mind is dissatisfied
      with what is manifesting right now, it wants
      to take off, it wants to run, to escape into the
      dream. But the dream does not become reality
      in this way. The dream, the possibility, the
      creative unfoldment of your inner destiny,
      does not come about through the ego’s desire
      and its reaction to the here and now. It comes
      about through the ability to keep sight of
      the vision whilst, at the same time, living
      in the here and now with patient and
      alert understanding.

      CHAPTER 18
      WHERE DO I BEGIN?
      ENLIGHTENMENT

      Who am I? All I can do is to Be who I am -
      to be who I am in the feeling of it, in the
      silent emptiness of my true nature. I can
      never say who I am. And the moment that I
      say “I am this” or “I am that”, I have lost it.

      When we live our lives in the feeling, rather
      than in the thinking, we are truly in touch
      with reality. But there are no limits on that
      reality, which is why you can never truly say
      “he is enlightened” - as if enlightenment was
      some kind of object with boundaries and
      limitations, some kind of goal that can
      be achieved and owned.

      CHAPTER 19