#3073 - Monday, February 11, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2008
      #3073 - Monday, February 11, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Nonduality Highlights - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDhighlights
      Someone I cared for

      Someone I cared for
      put it to me: Who
      do you think you are?

      I went down the list
      of all the many

      carefully — did it
      twice — but couldn't find
      a plausible one.

      That was when I knew
      for the first time who
      in fact I wasn't.
      - Cid Corman, from And The Word. © Coffee House Press, 1987

      After you wake up you probably open the curtains and look outside. You may even like to open the window and feel the cool morning air with the dew still on the grass. But is what you see really "outside"? In fact, it is your own mind. As the sun sends its rays through the window, you are not just yourself. You are also the beautiful view from your window. You are the Dharmakaya. Dharmakaya literally means the body (kaya) of the Buddha's teachings (Dharma), the way of understanding and love. Before passing away, the Buddha told his disciples, "Only my physical body will pass away. My Dharma body will remain with you forever." In Mahayana Buddhism, the word has come to mean "the essence of all that exists." All phenomena--the song of a bird, the warm rays of the sun, a cup of hot tea--are manifestations of the Dharmakaya. We, too, are of the same nature as these wonders of the universe.
      - Thich Nhat Hanh, Present Moment, Wonderful Moment

      All That Is Glorious Around Us
      (title of an exhibit on The Hudson River School)

      is not, for me, these grand vistas, sublime peaks, mist-filled
      overlooks, towering clouds, but doing errands on a day
      of driving rain, staying dry inside the silver skin of the car,
      160,000 miles, still running just fine. Or later,
      sitting in a café warmed by the steam
      from white chicken chili, two cups of dark coffee,
      watching the red and gold leaves race down the street,
      confetti from autumn's bright parade. And I think
      of how my mother struggles to breathe, how few good days
      she has now, how we never think about the glories
      of breath, oxygen cascading down our throats to the lungs,
      simple as the journey of water over a rock. It is the nature
      of stone / to be satisfied / writes Mary Oliver, It is the nature
      of water / to want to be somewhere else, rushing down
      a rocky tor or high escarpment, the panoramic landscape
      boundless behind it. But everything glorious is around
      us already: black and blue graffiti shining in the rain's
      bright glaze, the small rainbows of oil on the pavement,
      where the last car to park has left its mark on the glistening
      street, this radiant world.
      - Barbara Crooker from Radiance. © Word Press, 2005

      When you awaken to truth as it really is, you will have no occult
      vision, you will have no "astral" experience, no ravishing ecstasy.
      You will awaken to it in a state of utter stillness, and you will
      realize that truth was always there within you and that reality was
      always there around you. Truth is not something which has grown and
      developed through your efforts. It is not something which has been
      achieved or attained by laboriously adding up those efforts. It is not
      something which has to be made more and more perfect each year. And
      once your mental eyes are opened to truth they can never be closed
      - Paul Brunton, Notebooks
      posted to Wisdom-l

      Awakening doesn't happen through effort or will, but by being what my teacher Jean Klein used to call "disponible," a French word meaning "available or receptive." to truth.  The less you do, the better, no need to make sense of what I say in a conceptual level.  Over time, the teaching will keep returning to you unbidden at unexpected moments in your everyday life, perhaps to bring light to a particular circumstance or challenge, or merely to illuminate another aspect of truth.  The fact is, the awakening process, once begun, develops its own momentum without effort on your part, and the truth naturally yearns to awaken itself through you.

      Stephen Bodian
      Wake Up Now
      McGraw Hill

      posted to Wisdom-l