#3070 - Friday, February 8, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2008
      #3070 - Friday, February 8, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Warren Buffett, C. G. Jung, and Omkaradatta.

      There was a one hour interview on CNBC with Warren Buffett, the second
      richest man who has donated $31 billion to charity. Here are some
      very interesting aspects of his life:

      1)  He bought his first share at age 11 and he now regrets that he
          started too late!

      2)  He bought a small farm at age 14 with savings from delivering
          newspapers.

      3)  He still lives in the same small 3 bedroom house in mid-town
          Omaha, that he bought after he got married 50 years ago. He says
          that he has everything he needs in that house. His house does not
          have a wall or a fence around it.

      4)  He drives his own car everywhere and does not have a driver or
          security people around him.

      5)  He never travels by private jet, although he owns the world's
          largest private jet company.

      6)  His company, Berkshire Hathaway, owns 63 companies. He writes
          only one letter each year to the CEOs of these companies, giving
          them goals for the year. He never holds meetings or calls them on
          a regular basis.

      7)  He has given his CEO's only two rules. Rule number 1: do not lose
          any of your share holder's money. Rule number 2: Do not forget
          rule number 1.

      8)  He does not socialize with the high society crowd. His past time
          after he gets home is to make himself some pop corn and watch
          television.

      9)  Bill Gates, the world's richest man met him for the first time
          only 5 years ago. Bill Gates did not think he had anything in
          common with Warren Buffet. So he had scheduled his meeting only
          for half hour. But when Gates met him, the meeting lasted for ten
          hours and Bill Gates became a devotee of Warren Buffet.

      10) Warren Buffet does not carry a cell phone, nor has a computer on
          his desk.

      11) His advice to young people: Stay away from credit cards and
          invest in yourself.

      Alice Chestnut writes: The complete Jung Lexicon is online through the graciousness and generosity of its author, Jungian analyst, Daryl Sharp, publisher and general editor of Inner City Books.  http://www.psychceu.com/Jung/sharplexicon.html

      The following is from the lexicon:

      Analysis, Jungian. A form of therapy specializing in neurosis, aimed at bringing unconscious contents to consciousness; also called analytic therapy, based on the school of thought developed by C.G. Jung called analytical (or complex) psychology.

      [Analysis] is only a means for removing the stones from the path of development, and not a method . . . of putting things into the patient that were not there before. It is better to renounce any attempt to give direction, and simply try to throw into relief everything that the analysis brings to light, so that the patient can see it clearly and be able to draw suitable conclusions. Anything he has not acquired himself he will not believe in the long run, and what he takes over from authority merely keeps him infantile. He should rather be put in a position to take his own life in hand. The art of analysis lies in following the patient on all his erring ways and so gathering his strayed sheep together.[Some Crucial Points in Psychoanalysis," CW 4, par. 643.]

      There is a widespread prejudice that analysis is something like a "cure," to which one submits for a time and is then discharged healed. That is a layman's error left over from the early days of psychoanalysis. Analytical treatment could be described as a readjustment of psychological attitude achieved with the help of the doctor. . . . [But] there is no change that is unconditionally valid over a long period of time.[The Transcendent Function," CW 8, par. 142.]

      Analysis of the unconscious begins when conscious material has been exhausted and there is still no satisfactory resolution of the neurosis; it requires an ego strong enough to deal directly with unconscious material, particularly dreams. Jung believed that analysis in this sense was particularly suited to psychological problems in the second half of life, but even then he expressed caution.
      Consistent support of the conscious attitude has in itself a high therapeutic value and not infrequently serves to bring about satisfactory results. It would be a dangerous prejudice to imagine that analysis of the unconscious is the one and only panacea which should therefore be employed in every case. It is rather like a surgical operation and we should only resort to the knife when other methods have failed. So long as it does not obtrude itself the unconscious is best left alone.[The Psychology of the Transference," CW 16, par. 381.]
      In his analytic work, Jung shunned diagnosis and prognosis. He used no systematic technique or method. His aim was to approach each case with a minimum of prior assumptions, although he acknowledged that the personality and psychological disposition of the analyst made complete objectivity impossible.
      The ideal would naturally be to have no assumptions at all. But this is impossible even if one exercises the most rigorous self-criticism, for one is oneself the biggest of all one's assumptions, and the one with the gravest consequences. Try as we may to have no assumptions and to use no ready-made methods, the assumption that I myself am will determine my method: as I am, so will I proceed. ["Appendix," ibid., par.543.]
      Jung also insisted that those training to be analysts must have a thorough personal analysis.
      We have learned to place in the foreground the personality of the doctor himself as a curative or harmful factor; . . . what is now demanded is his own transformation-the self-education of the educator. . . . The doctor can no longer evade his own difficulty by treating the difficulties of others: the man who suffers from a running abscess is not fit to perform a surgical operation.["Problems of Modern Psychotherapy," ibid., par. 172.]

      Essay: Nonduality? - by Omkaradatta

      Many are questioning - is advaita real?  Is the nature of things really
      nondual?  Will I die if ego drops off, should I awaken?  Of course all
      "enlightenment experiences" are reporting joy/relief, but ego will always
      find something to worry about.

      Ego is always questioning.  You do not realize why you question - just you
      focus on what you are questioning, the specific question.  If you would
      question questioning, the answer would come to you - you would come back to
      paradise, back where you really are.

      Instead of asking new questions or answering old ones, I would like to
      demonstrate something.  Don't worry, this will not strike the ego, hurt the
      ego - not even ruffle any feathers.  Rather, it will show you the
      possibility: Maybe it is real, truth is nondual.  You will enjoy.

      Here below is a writing, just a little bit of text, a story.  It is just a
      comment from the nondual perspective, don't take it personally - it's meant
      in the general case, "you the reader".

      -------------------
      I think you will like this.  You will see how your thinking is a little
      confused by the idea "something's out there".  You are always worrying
      about yourself, worrying about something coming from "out there" - what
      will happen to me?  You are concerned - you want to be reassured.  You are
      seeking something out there - how do you know it isn't already here?  I can
      assure you, what you are seeking is already with you.  Some day you will
      realize you are already enlightened, already here-now.  Your day is coming,
      you will be free.
      -------------------

      I would expect that took awhile to get through - seemed a complicated bit
      of text.  It had to be read carefully, you almost had to study it to
      comprehend the meaning.

      Below is a very similar text, almost identical.

      -------------------
      I think I will like this.  I will see my thinking is a little confused by
      the idea "something's out there".  I am always worrying about me, worrying
      about something coming from "out there" - what will happen to me?  I am
      concerned - I want to be reassured.  I am seeking something out there - how
      do I know it isn't already here?  I can assure me, what I am seeking is
      already with me.  Some day I will realize I AM already enlightened, already
      here-now.  My day is coming, I will be free.
      -------------------

      Was that a bit easier to read?  I will guess - not just a bit, drastically
      easier -  it seems like your IQ shot up to the stratosphere.

      Why?

      The second text swapped subject/object - "you" became "me"

      No longer did you have to think "SOMETHING IS OUT THERE" - pretend you were
      being addressed by "other".  That is the only difference, ONLY one.  Your
      thinking became NORMAL!

      I can only testify: The answer to "Is there anybody out there?" is a joyous
      HELL, NO! :-).

      "I love that person out there - they live far away from me, I am lonely"

      "Thought of that person is HERE, I love that HERE, they are here with me"

      Something to look at.