Highlights from April 2, 2000

  • Lynne Helwig
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 7:49 AM
      Fuck!

      Avoiding what is harmful has nothing to do with non-acceptance or
      not
      loving. I may "accept" lions and tigers and cobras, but that
      does not
      mean I have to allow myself to be eaten or bitten. To love
      implies seeing
      something as it is, and respecting distance if necessary. To
      love may
      also mean expressing your real emotional state, rather than
      covering it up
      with sweetness and light.

      I understand what you are talking about. The difference between
      self-improvement and working for being is the difference in where
      it is coming from not what it is. Ego self-improves. Essence
      wants
      growth of being.

      how people respond to you has less to do with
      who you are....than with who 'they' perceive themselves
      to be....and how well your presence enhances the experience
      of their lives.

      I don't know that it is that complicated. I think we each should
      basically take responsibility for ourselves.

      1) If we take responsibility for how we feel, we needn't worry
      about
      analyzing everything that everyone else does to see if it harms
      us.
      Rather, we make the decision up front that it won't and learn how
      walk the walk. I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying it's
      impossible if
      we don't find a way to practice it.

      2) If we take responsibility for what we put out to others,
      checking
      before we send it out if it serves love, then we are doing our
      part. If
      they don't see that it was put out to serve love, then that is
      their
      problem, just as in part 1). (I mean that they have to take
      responsibility for how they interpret our outgoing messages.) I
      certainly do agree that how we check to see that our outgoing
      stuff
      serves love takes practice and will change with experience, but I
      think
      getting the intent right and maintaining a correct intent is
      plenty of
      work for now, so trust that the Universe made you well and that
      you will
      get good at it with practice. (but by all means, practice...)

      3) On rare occasions, we may need to intervene to prevent someone
      who
      disregards 1) and 2) from harming others. Yes, it's a judgement
      call,
      but I am finding that with careful attention to 1) and 2), 3)
      pops up
      less and less. My interpretation of what is harmful is
      changing. I
      don't think anything that has happened here need have harmed
      anyone
      unless they wanted to be harmed. I do think that noticing what
      harms us
      is worth the effort, and that much less apparent harm will be
      done to
      those who work to look at it all closely. I think one word that
      has
      been used here to describe behavior has been "ignorance".
      Ignorance is
      the act of ignoring. If we ignore our buttons, then we deserve
      suffer, cause there is alway someone around to push the button.
      I think
      dismantling the buttons is the only sensible course of action
      here.
      These are just my opinions, and my strategy. I hear often that
      opinions
      and strategies are the problem. I think that opinions and
      stategies are
      needed as long as there are buttons, and when there are no
      buttons,
      opinions and strategies become traps. So when my buttons stop
      operating, I'll stop having the opinion that my buttons should
      stop
      operating.
      At last you suggest we both take lovers
      but continue to live "officially" together,
      long evenings spent comparing notes
      on the young scapegoats send into our desert.

      Did you think we were jockeying for position,
      determined to influence the turn of events,
      to susidize feelings and control the world?

      Poor fool, in love with an image of yourself!

      In the end you even came to believe in yourself,
      your sensible advice and reasonable demands,
      as the burning bush might have mistaken its flowers
      for flames, or the rustling in its spindly branches
      for the indrawn, unreliable voice of God.

      J.D. McClatchy
      >From "Ten Commandments", an excerpt from "Betrayal"

      " We have a language that is capable of comprehending life as we
      live it,
      but we have no language to comprehend that life which we have
      never lived.

      If a useless thing has to be explained, we have clever words to
      express it.

      Do you realize that when you are angry you become so garrulous,
      but when it
      comes to expressing love you fumble for words? You can hardly
      find words
      when it comes to prayer! We have language for anger but no
      language for
      love. The language of love can only develop if we have a closer
      understanding of ourselves. The language of anger is easy
      because it
      concerns other, who is apart and away from us.

      We cannot express our love half as much as we can express our
      anger. The
      lover is always lost for words. What should he say, how should
      he say it?
      But the same lover will not find himself lacking for words when
      he is
      filled with anger or hate. He will have enough to say, and more.
      We have no
      language to express that which is closest to us. "

      OSHO
      - The Way of Tao - part II

      Certainly the mask is one of the
      functions of personality, but I see more in us as individuals and
      to each other than a
      defensive/offensive mask. The human face is far more than a mask.
      We are different
      from other animals because we live with the full awareness of
      death. In the relative
      world we are persons, full of complexity, ambiguity,
      individuality. Saying the
      personality interface is only a defense mechanism is like saying
      making art and poetry
      is only a way to get laid, you can argue it that way but it's an
      oversimplification.

      All this doing, all this effort to see, to know, what drives you
      from day to day, from the depths of your heart is this search,
      which is nothing but an identity of unhappiness.
      Apart from that, there is nothing. What else can I say?
      Surprised yet? :-)

      As Gurdjieff says - stop. What more kind of information
      do you need about yourself? Sheesh.
      I mean, I need more information like I need a hole in the head!
      :-)
      Unless my hair is on fire or something, then I might need that
      bit of information. :-)

      I like this one better : enough is enough

      We don't see things as they are,
      >we see things as we are.
      >
      > Anais Nin

      A beauty!
      An rose for the garden,
      from Anais - an arrow
      hitting the target!

      Discover all you are not. Body, feelings, thoughts,
      ideas, time, space, being and not-being, this or that
      - nothing concrete or abstract you can point out to
      is you. A mere verbal statement will not do - you
      may repeat a formula endlessly without any result
      whatsoever. You must watch yourself continuously
      - particularly your mind - moment by moment, missing
      nothing. This witnessing is essential for the separation
      of the self from the not-self.

      Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Expectations lead to frustrations.

      ~ The key is in intent - are you looking into your personal self
      in the service of freedom, or are you indulging in the self-
      gratification of pleasure and pain in your unique delusions.

      Compassion is openness...
      unclouded interbeing...
      the original unconditioned awareness
      actively doing nothing.
      It is open to pain, to joy,
      to love, to sorrow, and to
      the nothingness of interbeing.

      Enlightenment? Enlightenment? There ain't no stinkin
      enlightenment.

      Gautama said it and i agree. 'When I attained pure and perfect
      enlightenment I saw that there was no such thing as pure and
      perfect
      enlightenment! Wonderful! Wonderful!'

      Awaken and realize - there is only me - the I AM.

      Fuckity Fuck.