#3067 - Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6 8:55 AM
      #3067 - Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      In this issue, notice of the passing of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

      A lyric by the Beatle who apparently was most influenced by Maharishi: George Harrison.

      And life goes on: notice of a new movie about the spiritual search, Closer Than Close, A Portrait of Seeking and Finding Our True Self.

      The Beatles guru Maharishi dies aged 91

      Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the man who taught the Beatles transcendental meditation, has died. He was 91.

      The Indian mystic became famous in 1968 when the Beatles travelled to the foothills of the Himalayas to learn his techniques and he was also filmed with Mike Love of the Beach Boys, the singer Donovan and actress Mia Farrow.

      Love said: "His passing is profoundly sad. But I for one, am among the millions who are grateful for what he shared with us. We will miss you, but your great light will shine on."

      Maharishi Mahesh Yogi moved to the village of Vlodrop in Holland in 1990 and died there last night.

      The Maharishi built a business empire worth billions, including property dealing and a company selling ayurvedic medicine and cosmetics.

      He set up universities and schools all over the world and his Natural Law Party has campaigned in elections in dozens of countries around the world.

      Story from RTÉ Entertainment:
      http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0206/maharashi.html

      Song:           The Inner Light
      Duration:       2.35
      Track No.:      6
      Composer:       Harrison
      Vocals:         George Harrison
      Year:           1968

      Lyrics:

      Without going out of my door
      I can know all things on earth
      Without looking out of my window
      I could know the ways of heaven

      The farther one travels
      The less one knows
      The less one really knows

      Without going out of your door
      You can know all things on earth
      Without looking out of your window
      You can know the ways of heaven

      The farther one travels
      The less one knows
      The less one really knows

      Arrive without travelling
      See all without looking
      Do all without doing

      Instruments & additional info.:

      The B-side of 'Lady Madonna', and the first George Harrison composition to
      appear on a Beatles single. The instrumental track was recorded in five takes
      by Indian musicians, under George's direction, at the EMI studio in Bombay on
      12 January 1968. George's lead vocal and John and Paul's brief backing vocals
      were overdubbed at Abbey Road on 6 and 8 February.

      [*1:]

      Harrison: vocal
      Lennon: backing vocal
      McCartney: backing vocal
      Sharad Gosh or Hanuman Jadex: shehnai
      Hariprasad Chaurasia or S. R. Kenkare: flute
      Ashish Khan: sarod
      Mahapurush Misra: tabla, pakavaj
      Rij Ram Desad: harmonium

      Rec.: 12th January, 6th/8th February 1968
      Rel. UK: 15th March 1968 (B single / Lady Madonna)
      Rel. US: 18th March 1968 (B single / Lady Madonna)

      Shawn Nevins writes:

      Closer than Close is a new documentary that investigates the spiritual search – the search for the essential questions of human life: is there an eternal part of ourselves? what has lasting meaning? where do we find certainty? Rather than philosophical discussion, it explores the possibility of living a life devoted to a search for answers, and the radical possibility that answers exist, closer than we can imagine, within our selves.  John Kain writes:

      Closer Than Close is a deftly crafted and poignant tale that weaves the stories of a handful of seekers bivouacked at various stages along the spiritual path with the straight-talk wisdom of three extraordinary individuals who have seemingly put an end to seeking. This juxtaposition creates a compelling resonance in which we can see (if the angle of light is just so) that the seekers and those that have stopped seeking are closer than we think.  These are real stories of struggle and despair, friendship and hope, but above all, insight. Put this video on your list, better yet put it in your player and see what happens.  –John Kain, author of A Rare and Precious Thing: The Possibilities and Pitfalls of Studying with a Spiritual Teacher. www.johnkain.net

      The film has received positive reviews from a wide range of figures in the spiritual community including: Janwillem Van de Wetering, Bruce Joel Rubin, Brad Warner, Rabbi Rami Shapiro, and Dr. Gene Thursby.  Video clips and ordering information are at www.poetryinmotionfilms.com.