#3062 - Thursday, January 31, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008

      #3062 - Thursday, January 31, 2008 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      This issue brings you the poetry of Kanwar Dinesh Singh. His books are not available on Amazon.com, however they can be found in other online shops, mostly based in India. Do a search for his name.

      The following portion of an interview with Singh, in which he mentions the social benefits of nondualism, is from http://www.himvani.com/news/2008/02/01/himachal-beauty-enthused-the-poet-in-me-kanwar-dinesh-singh/1258/himalayan-bookman/nilanshu/

      Kanwar Dinesh Singh’s verse has originality, the spontaneity, simplicity and gravity which may bind any serious reader of poetry.

      This man of intense poetic genius talks to Dr Nilanshu Kumar Agarwal about the influences on his poetry, poetic creation, pantheism, English Studies in India and several other issues.

      NKA: In your poem ‘They and I‘, you have exhibited human destiny under the guise of the sun. The concluding lines “I am shorn of both/Light and Warmth” touch the innermost chords of the reader’s heart. Are you trying to establish a triad of Man, Nature and God? Are you indicating at the non-dualistic philosophy of the Upanishads in your poetry? Nature and Man are just the two different reflections of One Great Ultimate Reality. In the poem ‘Absorption‘, your pantheistic approach is evident, when you say “Come, and do absorb me/Within yourself.” This emphasis on pantheism and non- dualism can cure the various ills of the contemporary society. Perhaps, this approach can eradicate ‘the weariness, the fever and the fret’ of life. Your views, please.

      KDS: The poem “They and I” depicts the relationship between man and nature. Human sustenance / existence is dependent solely on nature. Yet, human being is too self-seeking and ungrateful toward nature. Through symbolism of Sun, the source of light, warmth and energy, this poem shows how when Sun, during the first half of the day, is capable of giving, human beings adore him, and when by fall of the night, he loses capacity to give, human beings turn indifferent and callous to him. It is the selfish nature of man that causes conflict with nature. Man must realize the fact that he is dependent on nature for all his needs, for his overall existence. Thus, the poem primarily deals with ecological perspectives and human ingratitude towards nature.

      There are several other poems of mine in which you will find reflections on the triad of man, nature and God with emphasis on pantheism and non-dualistic philosophy. As, for instance, you have taken the poem captioned “Absorption“. This poem, on the one hand, invokes human beings (symbolized by rivers) to live in harmony / unison as all have one and the same destiny (symbolized by ocean), on the other, holds that all religious faiths are different passages leading to one Great Ultimate Reality, which is the Absolute Truth.

      And I agree with you on your statement that emphasis on pantheism and non-dualism can cure the various ills of the contemporary society. Besides, this approach can certainly help eradicate what you call “the weariness, the fever and the fret” of life. In other words, with this approach, as a way of life in today’s world, we can make our living better, dignified and full of grace.

      ~ ~ ~

      Here are some of Singh's poems, from http://sawf.org/bin/tips.dll/getcontributions?user=Sawf&contributor=Kanwar+Dinesh+Singh&class=Poetry&subclass=Original&pn=Contributors

      love me more . . .

      love me more