#3047 - Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2008
      #3045 - Monday, January 14, 2008 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "My place is the Placeless, my trace is the Traceless"

      - Rumi

              Birdsong brings relief
              to my longing.

              I am just as ecstatic as they are,
              but with nothing to say!

              Please, universal soul, practice
              some song, or something, through me!

                         - Rumi

      When the ear is penetrating, it becomes an eye.

      Otherwise, the word of God becomes entangled

      in the ear and does not reach the heart.

      (II 862]

      The world is full of remedies,

      but you have no remedies until God

      opens a window for you.

      Though you are unaware of that remedy now,

      God will make it clear

      in the hour of need.

      [II, 682-3]

      When the ocean comes to you as a lover,
      marry, at once, quickly,
      for God's sake.

      Don't postpone it!
      existence has no better gift.

      No amount of searching will find this.

      A perfect falcon, for no reason
      has landed on your shoulder
      and become yours.

      - Rumi. Mathnawi.

      We’re quite addicted to subtle discussions;

      we're very fond of solving problems.

      So that we may tie knots and then undo them,

      we constantly make rules for posing the difficulty

      and for answering the questions it raises.

      We're like a bird which loosens a snare

      and then ties it tighter again

      in order to perfect its skill.

      It deprives itself of open country;

      it leaves behind the meadowland,

      while its life is spent dealing with knots.

      Even then the snare is not mastered,

      but its wings are broken again and again.

      Don't struggle with knots,

      so your wings won't be broken.

      Don't risk ruining your feathers

      to display your proud efforts.

      [II, 3733-8]

      There is a world outside Islam and Disbelief,
      We are enamoured of the atmosphere therein.
      The mystic lays down his head when he reaches there.
      There is neither Islam nor Disbelief in this place.
      - Rumi

      In Divan-i Shams, Rumi says:

      What is to be done, O Muslims? for I do not recognize myself.
      I am neither Christian, nor Jew, nor Gabr, nor Muslim.
      I am not of the East, nor of the West, nor of the land, nor of the sea;
      I am not of Nature's mint, nor of the circling heaven.
      I am not of earth, nor of water, nor of air, nor of fire;
      I am not of the empyrean, nor of the dust, nor of existence, nor of entity.
      I am not of India, nor of China, nor of Bulgaria, nor of Saqsin
      I am not of the kingdom of 'Iraqian, nor of the country of Khorasan
      I am not of the this world, nor of the next, nor of Paradise, nor of Hell
      I am not of Adam, nor of Eve, nor of Eden and Rizwan.
      My place is the Placeless, my trace is the Traceless

      When we talk about the witness in our verse,
      we talk about you.
      A pure heart and a noble demeanor
      cannot compete with your radiant face.
      They will ask you
      what you have produced.
      Say to them,
      except for Love,
      what else can a Lover produce?

      - Rumi
      Trans Shahram Shiva
      http://www.rumi.net/rumi_by_shiva.html

      I just discovered 'The Mathnawi of Jalalu'ddin Rumi'
      translated by E.H. Whinfield is online at: