#3031 - Saturday, December 29, 2007

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2007

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3031, Saturday, December 29, 2007

      Everything spontaneously appears or happens without any entity with any volition being behind it.

      - Gilbert Schultz, posted to NondualitySalon

      It is your idea that you have to do things that entangle you in the results of your efforts - the motive, the desire, the failure to achieve, the sense of frustration - all this holds you back. Simply look at whatever happens and know that you are beyond it.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That

      Question: I see you doing things. How can you say that you never perform actions?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: The radio sings and speaks, but if you open it you will find no one inside. Similarly, my existence is like the space; though this body speaks like the radio, there is no one inside as a doer.

      Question: I find this hard to understand. Could you please elaborate on this?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: Various illustrations are given in books to enable us to understand how the jnani can live and act without the mind, although living and acting require the use of the mind. The potter's wheel goes on turning round even after the potter has ceased to turn it because the pot is finished. In the same way, the electric fan goes on revolving for some minutes after we switch off the current. Prarabdha (predestined Karma) which created the body will make it go through whatever activities it was meant for. But the jnani goes through all these activities without the notion that he is the doer of them. It is hard to understand how this is possible. The illustration generally given is that the jnani performs actions in some such way as a child that is roused from sleep to eat eats but does not remember next morning that it ate. It has to be remembered that all these explanations are not for the jnani. He knows and has no doubts. He knows that he is not the body and he knows that he is not doing anything even though his body may be engaged in some activity. These explanations are for the onlookers who think of the jnani as one with a body and cannot help identifying him with his body.

      - Ramana Maharshi, from The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi, edited by David Godman

      It has nothing to do with effort. Just turn away, look between the thoughts, rather than at the thoughts. When you happen to walk in a crowd, you do not fight every man you meet, you just find your way between. When you fight, you invite a fight. But when you do not resist, you meet no resistance. When you refuse to play the game, you are out of it.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That

      Question:

      What do we experience when we connect with our real self? How does that experience change the way we live our own life?

      Answer:

      You no longer create suffering for yourself. Anger, resentment, regret, grievances, anxiety, guilt, etc, which are all inseparable from the egoic state of consciousness, no longer arise. And when you no longer create suffering for yourself, you no longer create suffering for others. You have deep empathy, not only with other human beings, but also with nature and all life forms. You see all life forms as manifestations of the one formless and eternal Life, which is what you are in essence, and you can sense that essence not only in yourself, but in all beings. In other words, everywhere you encounter yourself.

      - Eckhart Tolle

      When Realization dawns, then what happens? You are no longer 'you'. You remain established in the inner silence and freedom without any concern for your welfare, content with whatever comes along - and life goes on in perfect effortlessness.

      - Ramesh Balsekar

      Here's a video clip of Adyashanti on this topic:

       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWOYbXS8Dgk&feature=related

      Here's a printed interview with Eckhart Tolle you may find interesting:

       http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/eckharttolle.htm

      link posted to The_Now2