#3028 - Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2007
      #3028 - Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "Realization of Truth is higher than all else.
      Higher still is Truthful Living."

      - Guru Nanak, Sri Rag

      That quote was a favorite of Kirpal Singh. Nanak seems
      to have been, like Kabir, one of the non-dual Sants.

      A Buddhist friend of mine said, "who cares about your
      realization or if you're in sahaj samadhi  or whatever,
      if you can't even help people."

      posted to Wisdom-l

      Salt and Water

      The degree of love we manifest determines the degree of spaciousness and freedom we can bring to life's events. Imagine taking a very small glass or water and putting into it a teaspoon of salt. Because of the small size of the container, the teaspoon of salt is going to have a big effect on the water. However, if you approach a much larger body of water, such as a lake, and put into it the same teaspoonful of salt, it will not have the same intensity of impact, because of the vastness and openness of the vessel receiving it. Even when the salt remains the same, the spaciousness of the vessel receiving it changes everything. We spend a lot of our lives looking for a feeling of safety or protection--we try to alter the amount of salt that comes our way. Ironically, the salt is the very thing that we cannot do anything about, as life changes and offers us repeated ups and downs. Our true work is to create a container so immense that any amount of salt, even a truckload, can come into it without affecting our capacity to receive it.

      - Sharon Salzberg, Lovingkindness

      Recognizing the power of our minds means that even as unfortunate or terrible things happen to us, we can receive them in a more spacious and ultimately more enlightened way. The Buddha taught his students to develop a power of love so strong that the mind becomes like space that cannot be tainted. If someone throws paint, it is not the air that will change color. Space will not hold the paint; it will not grasp it in any way. Only the walls, the barriers to space, can be affected by the paint. The Buddha taught his students to develop a power of love so strong that their minds become like a pure, flowing river that cannot be burned. No matter what kind of material is thrown into it, it will not burn. Many experiences--good, bad, and indifferent--are thrown into the flowing river of our lives, but we are not burned, owing to the power of the love in our hearts.

      - Sharon Salzberg

      The expression of emptiness is love, because emptiness means "emptiness of self." When there is no self, there is no other. That duality is created by the idea of self, of I, of ego. When there's no self, there is a unity, a communion. And without the thought of "I'm loving someone," love becomes the natural expression of that oneness.

      - Joseph Goldstein, The Experience of Insight

      "When your sense of self is no longer tied to thought, is no longer conceptual, there is a depth of feeling, of sensing, of compassion, of loving, that was not there when you were trapped in mental concepts.

      You are that depth."

      - Eckhart Tolle

      From: 'Living Truth'  Jean Klein

      There is nobody to look for something, because it is your
      nearness. Nothing can be more near to you than what you are.
      It is enough to live with this for some time, not to think about
      it, not to manipulate it, but simply to live with it.

      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      Sometimes the cosmos seems so tiny and unreal.
      Love is much vaster and wider. Still it is near and dear.
      The cosmos just appears out of nowhere and there it is.
      Every branch, every cloud, every smoking chimney hurts right to the bone.
      I see Love everywhere, infinity everywhere, God everywhere.
      God is tiny and small--so intimate it contains everything and nothing.
      God is like a sweet baby's dream.

      - Ben Hassine

      "Distinctions such as large and small
      have relevance for you no more.