#3021 - Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2007

      #3021 - Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "Wu wu hu zhi zhi"
      [How would I know that?]
      ~ Zhuangzi

      This phrase appears a number of times in chapter
      two of the Zhuang Zi [Chuang Tzu]. It expresses
      the thought that nothing can be known for sure,
      and therefore there is no reason to speculate
      what the fundamental nature (or ultimate truth)
      of any phenomenon is. A mind free of speculation
      is free to fully participate in the immediate
      moment of world. A mind free of speculative a
      priori assumptions is better able to accurately
      and objectively perceive and evaluate events
      which are occurring and therefore respond more
      effectively.

      ~ ray sigrist
      http://www.apophaticmysticism.com/

      Heron stands in the blue estuary,
      Solitary, white, unmoving for hours.
      A fish! Quick avian darting;
      The prey is captured.

      People always ask how to follow Tao. It is as
      easy and natural as the heron standing in the
      water. The bird moves when it must; it does
      not move when stillness is appropriate.

      The secret of its serenity is a type of vigilance,
      a contemplative state. The heron is not in mere
      dumbness or sleep. It knows a lucid stillness.
      It stands unmoving in the flow of the water.
      It gazes unperturbed and is aware. When Tao
      brings it something that it needs, it seizes the
      opportunity without hesitation or deliberation.
      Then it goes back to its quiescence without
      disturbing itself or its surroundings. Unless it
      found the right position in the water's flow and
      remained patient, it would not have succeeded.

      Actions in life can be reduced to two factors:
      positioning and timing.
      If we are not in the right place at the right time,
      we cannot possibly take advantage of what life
      has to offer us. Almost anything is appropriate
      if an action is in accord with the time and the place.
      But we must be vigilant and prepared. Even if the
      time and the place are right, we can still miss our
      chance if we do not notice the moment, if we act
      inadequately, or if we hamper ourselves with
      doubts and second thoughts. When life presents
      an opportunity, we must be ready to seize it without
      hesitation or inhibition. Position is useless without
      awareness. If we have both, we make no mistakes.

      http://www.duckdaotsu.org/1/positioning.html

      contributed by -ts-

      Alan Larus Photos

      "The way of daily life is the way of working with our viewpoints. We do
      that just as we work with our thoughts in meditation practice. We just
      recognize, 'this is just a viewpoint, it's not me.  This viewpoint has
      arisen in this circumstance. It is there. I do have a feeling about
      it, but it's not the absolute truth. It's just a viewpoint.'

      When we understand that this is a viewpoint that comes from conditions
      and train ourselves the same as we train ourselves in meditation, when
      we train ourselves minutely in our daily lives to understand our
      viewpoints are just viewpoints, this makes a tremendous difference in
      how we live. When we don't try to protect or justify our viewpoints,
      suddenly there's freedom, a spaciousness and happiness in our
      lives."
      -Zoketsu Norman Fischer

      From the journal, "Karuna," edited by Kristin Penn, published by the
      Karuna Meditation Society.
      posted to Daily Dharma

      "We now come to what is perhaps the trickiest trap set in the
      path of the spiritual pilgrim - his blithe assumption that he
      can use conditioned thinking to find truth and reality. Impossible!
      The everyday mind, although conditioned, is strictly limited in its
      activities, like a collie dog tied to a post.

      The ordinary mind consists of stored up memories of facts. It
      knows only the old, habitual ways. Now, this is good and neces-
      sary whenever we want to conduct our business or cook a dinner
      for we call upon our memory of facts.

      But any attempt to use the mechanical mind to penetrate the
      spiritual world will always fail, even if it appears to itself
      to succeed. Genuine spirituality means to break into the unknown,
      the unconditioned. And this is why so many seekers fail. They
      inwardly or fearfully resist the unknown mysteries of reality or
      they prefer the falsely assumed security of familiar words and
      exterior authorities."
      - Vernon Howard

      Empty and Full.jpg

      http://www.pbase.com/1heart/image/73855598

      Listen.jpg

      http://www.pbase.com/1heart/image/73868639

       by Mazie Lane and Bob O'Hearn

      Rumi poetry read by Coleman Barks, with time lapse photography