#3004 - Sunday, December 2, 2007

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007

      Nondual Highlights: Issue #3004, Sunday, December 2, 2007

      What is the difference
      Between your experience of Existence
      And that of a saint?

      The saint knows
      That the spiritual p
      ath Is a sublime chess game with God

      And that the Beloved
      Has just made such a Fantastic Move

      That the saint is now continually
      Tripping over Joy
      And bursting out in Laughter
      And saying, "I surrender!"

      Whereas, my dear,
      I am afraid you still think
      You have a thousand serious moves.

      - Hafiz, posted to Adyashantigroup

      The search for Self Realization is the search for Self, and this search is being made by the Self. The Self is seeking itself. The irony is hilarious if you think about it, and yet can be extremely frustrating when one feels bombarded by anxiety, suffering and even frustration. Frustrated by frustration. It becomes an evil circle. Suffering due to suffering. Anxious because you want to end anxiety. Angry that you can't break free of anger. Yet all of these emotions are simply appearing in awareness. You need only shift your perspective and drop the identification and attachment, and ultimately ask - To whom is this arising? The moment this question is asked, immediately the arrow points back toward the Self. One may not have instantaneous realization, but awareness is now shifting, away from the object and back to the subject, back to Self. It doesn't mean it won't encounter something on the way. If you are away from your home and you decide to return there, turning around and heading in that direction doesn't mean that you are instantly at home. You may walk past many things along the way, but ultimately you get home. You are heading in the right direction. With inquiring into who you are, you are directing the mind back to its home, its source. And this inquiry can instantly bring you back to home. However, you may continue to be aware of more internalized things 'along the way'. Just know that you are still pointing in the direction of home and no matter what arises, simply inquire to whom it is arising.

      - Aja, from In This Moment

      You cannot deliberately progress towards an open state, you can only see clearly that you are in a blocked state. So, you let your body-mind slowly become more open to your conviction that you can attain nothing. That you are going to die in total stupidity. You may die in the very next moment, so there is no time to reach anything, to achieve anything. In sadhana you live with the feeling that you are going to die the very next minute; thus, you no longer make strategies and you just do things for the sake of doing them. If you think that you will die within two minutes, what do you do ? Nothing. You don't call anybody, you don't think of anything, you just totally enjoy seeing, feeling, smelling, listening to the last seconds of your life, the beauty of life.

      - √Čric Baret

      All spiritual methods are eventually realized to be useless, and yet they are useful at the same time. They are useless becasue consciousness is already the case. They are useful because they help clarify and calm the mind so that we can more readily recognize that consciousness is already the case.

      - Philip Mistlberger

      The seeker is he who is in search of himself.

      Give up all questions except one: `Who am I?' After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The `I am' is certain. The `I am this' is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality.

      To know what you are, you must first investigate and know what you are not.

      Discover all that you are not -- body, feelings thoughts, time, space, this or that -- nothing, concrete or abstract, which you perceive can be you. The very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive.

      The clearer you understand on the level of mind you can be described in negative terms only, the quicker will you come to the end of your search and realize that you are the limitless being.

      - Nisargadatta, from I Am That

      We loosely talk of Self-realization, for lack of a better term. But how can one realize or make real that which alone is real? All we need to do is to give up our habit of regarding as real that which is unreal. All religious practices are meant solely to help us do this. When we stop regarding the unreal as real, then reality alone will remain, and we will be that.

      - Ramana Maharshi

      You think of the Path
      As a long arduous climb
      Up the mountain.