#2998 - Monday, November 26, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2007
      #2998 - Monday, November 26, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      If you want to be free, get to know your real self.
      It has no form, no appearance, no root,
      No basis, no abode, but is lively and buoyant.
      It responds with versatile facility, but its function
      Cannot be located; when you look for it you become
      Further from it. When you seek it
      You turn away from it all the more.

      --Rinzai (d.867?)

      posted by Mark Scorelle to Wisdom-l

      Millenium Blessing

      There is a grace approaching
      that we shun as much as death,
      it is the completion of our birth

      It does not come in time,
         but in timelessness
      when the mind sinks into the heart
      and we remember.

      It is an insistent grace that draws us
      to the edge and beckons us surrender
      safe territory and enter our enormity.

      We know we must pass
         beyond knowing
      and fear the shedding.

      But we are pulled upward
         none-the-less
      through forgotten ghosts
         and unexpected angels,
      luminous.

      And there is nothing left to say
      but we are That.

      And that is what we sing about.

      From "Breaking the Drought
                Visions of Grace"

       by Stephen Levine, Larsons Publications

      posted by Marguerite to Wisdom-l

      Q: What is this big talk about elimination of the self? How can the self eliminate itself? What kind of metaphysical acrobatics can lead to the disappearance of the acrobat? In the end he will reappear, mightily proud of his disappearing.

      M: You need not chase the "I am" to kill it. You cannot. All you need is a sincere longing for reality. We call it atma-bhakti, the love of the Supreme: or moksha-sankalpa, the determination to be free from the false. Without love, and will inspired by love, nothing can be done. Merely talking about Reality without doing anything about it is self-defeating. There must be love in the relation between the person who says "I am" and the observer of that "I am." As long as the observer, the inner self, the 'higher' self, considers himself apart from the observed, the 'lower' self, despises it and condemns it, the situation is hopeless. It is only when the observer (vyakta) accepts the person (vyakti) as a projection of manifestation of himself, and, so to say, takes the self into the Self, the duality of 'I' and 'this' goes and in the identity of the outer and the inner the Supreme Reality manifests itself.

      This union of the seer and the seen happens when the seer becomes conscious of himself as the seer; he is not merely interested in the seen, which he is anyhow, but also interested in being interested, giving attention to attention, aware of being aware. Affectionate awareness is the crucial factor that brings Reality into focus.

      --Nisargadatta Maharaj from I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      posted by Mark Scorelle to Wisdom-l

      "Where? Where can I enter the way?
      How? How can I study?"
      Kyosei asked: “ What is the noise outside?”
      “That’s the voice of the raindrops, that’s the rain” the student said.
      “Enter from there” Kyosei replied.

      As he listened,
      Mindlessly,
      The eavesdrops entered him.

      WAKA ON KYOSEI'S RAINDROP SOUND

      photo by Alan Larus

      If You Knew

      What if you knew you'd be the last
      to touch someone?
      If you were taking tickets, for example,
      at the theater, tearing them,
      giving back the ragged stubs,
      you might take care to touch that palm,
      brush your fingertips
      along the life line's crease.

      When a man pulls his wheeled suitcase
      too slowly through the airport, when
      the car in front of me doesn't signal,
      when the clerk at the pharmacy
      won't way Thank you, I don't remember
      they're going to die.

      A friend told me she'd been with her aunt.
      They'd just had lunch and the waiter,
      a young gay man with plum black eyes,
      joked as he served the coffee, kissed
      her aunt's powdered cheek when they left.
      Then they walked a half a block and her aunt
      dropped dead on the sidewalk.

      How close does the dragon's spume
      have to come? How wide does the crack
      in heaven have to split?