#2995 - Friday, November 23, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2007
      #2995 - Friday, November 23, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      I'm glad to introduce The Nondual Highlights Podcast #1.

      I'm also pleased to bring you poems by David M. Davis.

      Announcing...

      The Nondual Highlights Podcast #1

      by Dustin LindenSmith

      ~ ~ ~

      I am pleased to welcome Dustin LindenSmith as Nondual Highlights Podcast editor. I've known Dustin for over ten years, since pre-Internet days. We used to sit in my apartment trying to figure out how to make nonduality accessible to the masses. We're still working on it.

      I like these poems by Dave Davis. They're light, they're real, they're about stumbling through life, they're nondual. If you're a book publisher or an interested reader, David Davis can be contacted through the Highlights Editors by replying to this email.

      Poetic  Pointers
      Nowhere

      by
      David M. Davis, MD

      Foreword

      I first was exposed to the Advaita-Vedanta teachings in about 1995 when a friend of mine (Dr. Steve Atherton) invited me to hear Wayne Liquorman speak at his home.  At that time, I purchased two books   “Net of Jewels” by Ramesh Balsekar and “No Way for the Spiritually Advanced” by Ramtzu (aka Wayne Liquorman).  I did not hear Wayne speak again until 2001.  I made no serious attempt to study these teachings but I enjoyed reading Wayne’s poems and I read the pointers in “Net of Jewels” regularly.

      In the spring of 2000, the sense of an individual self with initiative no longer had the reality that it did before. I started reading some of the prominent Advaita teachers in 2001 (whom I have referenced), but the vast majority of my reading occurred subsequent to the shift in consciousness.

      In 2003, poems started arriving which seemed to be pointing to what Ramesh, Wayne and other Advaita teachers had been speaking and writing about.  It occurred to me that these poems might help others see the Truth of who we are more clearly.

      My main debt of gratitude is to Ramesh Balsekar and Wayne Liquorman since it was via their pointers that the poems started happening, but some of the imagery in these poems has been due to my being exposed to other wonderful Advaita teachers, primarily “Sailor”  Bob Adamson, Dr. Stephen Wolinsky and John Wheeler.

      I hope these poems provide pleasure and help those who are still seeking to realize that no search is necessary.

      Instead of organizing the poems chronologically, I put the poems in categories as to what was being pointed to by the poem. Thus, there are many more poems about certain topics than others.

      For the most part, these poems are light hearted, but they point to a truth that is profound,  which if understood will practically eliminate unnecessary suffering in one’s life caused by the false self-center.

      A PRAYER THAT WORKS  -  January 24, 2006

      DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD?

      DO YOU THINK HE HEARS YOUR PRAYERS?

      IF YOU DO- TRY THIS ONE

      DEAR GOD

      I AM TOTALLY CLUELESS

      THEREFORE, AS OF THIS MOMENT, I TURN

      “ME” AND “MY” LIFE COMPLETELY OVER TO YOU

      I NO LONGER WISH TO HAVE ANY OF MY OWN THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS

      I WILL ASSUME THAT FROM NOW ON

      ALL THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS THAT I EXPERIENCE

      ALL INTERPERSONAL ENCOUNTERS

      AND ALL EVENTS THAT HAPPEN TO THIS PSYCHOSOMATIC APPARATUS

      ARE DUE TO YOUR DIVINE WILL, DICTATING WHAT HAPPENS THRU THIS MIND/BODY MECHANISM

      THIS IS UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER AND THE LAST OFFICIAL ACT OF MINE!

      IF GOD HAS HEARD THIS PRAYER

      YOU HAVE NOW BEEN ABSORBED INTO THE COSMIC ONENESS

      NOW RELAX AND ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR LIFE

      ~ ~ ~

      I DON’T KNOW!  -   February 28, 2005

      (For “Sailor” Bob)

      I DON’T KNOW IF I’M COMING OR GOING

      I DON’T KNOW IF IT’S RAINING OR SNOWING

      I DON’T KNOW WHAT’S GOOD OR WHAT’S BAD

      I DON’T KNOW WHAT WILL BE THE NEXT FAD

      I DON’T KNOW WHAT’S RIGHT OR WHAT’S WRONG

      I DON’T KNOW WHO’LL HAVE THE NEXT HIT SONG

      I DON’T KNOW WHICH STOCK WILL TAKE OFF

      I DON’T KNOW HOW TO CURE A COUGH

      I DON’T KNOW HOW TO BE SECURE

      I DON’T KNOW HOW TO BE DEMURE

      BUT I KNOW WHAT I AM

      AND I AM THAT I AM

      I’M IN SYNC

      WITH BOB THE SAILOR MAN

      ~ ~ ~

      “MY” DECISION   -   December 3, 2005

      I DECIDED TO GO TO THE SARAH SILVERMAN MOVIE

      “JESUS IS MAGIC!” TONIGHT

      OF COURSE I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH SARAH’S BIRTH

      OR THAT SHE TURNS ME ON –BIG TIME

      OR HER DECISION TO MAKE THE MOVIE

      OR THE PRODUCTION OF THE MOVIE

      OR THE BUILDING OF THE MOVIE THEATRE NEAR MY HOUSE

      OR THE BABYSITTER BEING AVAILABLE THAT SAME EVENING

      OR MY HAVING BEEN BORN JEWISH, MAKING A FEMALE JEWISH COMIC’S MOVIE MORE APPEALING TO ME THAN OTHER ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS

      OR MY WIFE BEING WILLING TO SEE IT TOO

      OR MY NOT HAVING A MORE PRESSING COMMITMENT, LIKE A BAR MITZVAH, ON THAT SAME NIGHT

      OR THAT MY CAR WORKED AND WE GOT THERE SAFELY

      IS IT SUCH A CRIME TO TAKE THE COOPERATION OF THE UNIVERSE FOR GRANTED?

      ~ ~ ~

      PERMEATION   -   November 12, 2006

      ONCE UPON A TIME

      I WAS A PIECE OF DRY BREAD

      SOMEHOW,

      I FOUND MYSELF FLOATING

      IN A HUGE VAT OF UTTERLY DIVINE TOMATO SAUCE

      THE SAUCE STARTED SOAKING ME

      AND AS IT DID SO

      I STARTED FEELING

      JOYFUL, PEACEFUL AND LOVING

      I AM NOW ALMOST COMPLETELY DECOMPOSED

      I SEEM TO BE WHEREVER THE SAUCE IS

      AND THE SAUCE APPEARS TO BE EVERYWHERE

      NOW I FEEL PERPETUAL PEACE

      I FEEL AN UNCAUSED JOY

      I AM JUST LIKE THE SAUCE NOW

      EXCEPT FOR A LITTLE CRUST

      ~ ~ ~

      SPIRITUAL PROGRESS?   -   July 5, 2005

      AM I MORE LOVING THIS YEAR THAN LAST?

      AM I MORE COMPASSIONATE?

      AM I MORE EMPATHETIC?

      IS MY AURA IN BETTER BALANCE?

      AM I RADIATING GOOD VIBES?

      AM I BEING A LOVING HUSBAND AND FATHER?

      ARE MY WIFE AND I MANIFESTING SPIRITUAL TANTRIC ONENESS OR ARE WE JUST HAVING GREAT SEX?

      HAVE I GROWN IN WISDOM?

      AM I REACHING A DEEPER LEVEL IN MY MEDITATION?

      IS MY PLANTAR FASCIITIS PAYING OFF A KARMIC DEBT?

      HAVE I TRULY FORGIVEN MY EX-WIFE?

      DO I ACCEPT MY SELF AND OTHERS MORE?

      AM I A FEW STEPS HIGHER ON THE STAIRWAY TO ENLIGHTENMENT?

      IF QUESTIONS LIKE THESE SEEM FAMILIAR

      YOU HAVE MY SINCERE SYMPATHY

      ~ ~ ~

      THE JUNGLE - August 18, 2004

      (Written at The Beacon in South Lake Tahoe)

      “IT’S A JUNGLE OUT THERE!”

      THAT’S WHAT MY WIFE SAYS

      I BELIEVED IT TOO

      HOW ELSE CAN YOU EXPLAIN 911, ENRON, IRS AUDITS?

      SO IT WAS ME, MY FAMILY, AND A FEW CLOSE FRIENDS

      AGAINST “THE WORLD” AND I WAS GETTING MY ASS KICKED

      OH, I FOUGHT ON AS BEST I COULD

      I WORKED OUT AT THE GYM TO STAY HEALTHY

      I EVEN HAD A GOAL, FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE

      BUT I WAS MAULED BY THE BEAR

      (JUNGLE/FOREST, WHO CARES?)

      DESPITE IT ALL

      AMAZINGLY ENOUGH

      THERE WERE STILL PLENTY OF GOOD TIMES

      THERE WAS A JOY INSIDE THAT THE JUNGLE JUST COULDN’T DEVOUR

      BUT THE JOY WOULD PLAY HIDE AND SEEK

      TOO MUCH OF THE TIME

      I WAS LIKE A SALMON SWIMMING UPSTREAM

      AND THE MERCURY WAS WEIGHING ME DOWN

      I NEEDED AN ESCAPE PLAN

      SO I PUT ALL MY MENTAL ENERGY INTO FINDING “THE SOLUTION”

      BUT THE MENTAL STRAIN WAS TOO MUCH

      MY FUSE BLEW AND MY BULB WENT OUT!

      THANK GOD

      BECAUSE DUE TO THAT EVENT HAPPENING

      I REALIZED THAT I AM THE CURRENT

      NOW THE JOY IS ALWAYS ON

      NOW I NOT ONLY GO WITH THE FLOW I AM THE FLOW

      I HAVEN’T QUIT MY DAY JOB

      BUT NOW I TAKE THE TIME TO SMELL AND FINISH MY VENTI LATTE

      ANYWAY, THE JUNGLE IS AN INTERESTING ADVENTURE

      WHEN YOU’RE THE WHOLE FOOD CHAIN AND NOT JUST THE ZEBRA

      ~ ~ ~

      WHO’S IN CHARGE?    -     February 1, 2005

      I WANTED TO BE A GOLF PRO

      YET SOMEHOW WOUND UP A SHRINK

      I WANTED A LITHE BLUE EYED BLOND

      BUT WENT BONKERS OVER A REUBENESQUE BRUNETTE

      I WANTED A DAUGHTER

      NOW I’VE GOT THREE SONS

      I WANTED TO RETIRE AT 58

      BUT I’M STILL WORKING FULL TIME

      I’M A SHIP WITHOUT A RUDDER

      A TRAIN WITHOUT A TRACK

      A MOVING CAR WITHOUT A DRIVER

      BUT THERE’S NO TURNING BACK

      MY LIFE’S BEING LIVED

      ‘XCEPT IT ISN’T BY ME!

      WHOEVER’S IN CHARGE

      IS ONE HUGE MYSTERY

      ~ ~ ~

      Poetic  Pointers To Nowhere, bDavid M. Davis, MD

      David M. Davis can be contacted through the Highlights Editors by replying to this email.