#2983 - Sunday, November 11, 2007

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2007

      Nondual Highlights: Issue #2983, Sunday, November 11, 2007

      Direct self-inquiry questions the basic assumption that you are "somebody".

      This assumption is rarely examined because what usually follows is, "What I need, what I want, what I have, what I don't have, what I should have," and on and on.

      These stories keep you identified as a person set apart from the vastness of your true identity. It keeps you identified only as a particular form, a body that is subject to birth and death. This identification is conscious individualization.

      There is nothing evil or even mistaken about individualization. It is natural in the evolution and development of the human being. It is part of the mystery of human beingness.

      - Gangaji, from The Diamond in Your Pocket, posted to The_Now2

      To want nothing and do nothing - that is true creation! To watch the universe emerging and subsiding in one's heart is a wonder.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That, posted to AlongTheWay

      still the body
      still the mind
      still the voice inside

      in silence
      feel the stillness move

      friends
      this feeling
      cannot be imagined

      - Kabir

      A body-mind organism in which enlightenment has happened doesn't become a vegetable. Thoughts will arise. Emotions arise. But those thoughts or emotions or desires are not taken delivery of. They just happen.

      Emptiness is not like a black hole or darkness, or like an empty house or an empty bottle. Emptiness is fullness and openness and flexibility. Because of emptiness it is possible for phenomena to function, for beings to see and hear, and for things to move and change. It is called emptiness because when we examine things we cannot find anything that substantially and solidly exists.

      There is nothing that has a truly existent nature. Everything we perceive appears through ever-changing causes and conditions, without an independent, solid basis. Although from a relative perspective things appear, they arise from emptiness and they dissolve into emptiness. All appearances are like water bubbles or the reflection of the moon in water.

      - Khenchen Palden Sherab, posted to DailyDharma

      The Still-Point of Ecstasy

      On the Night of Creation I was awake,
      Busy at work while everyone slept.
      I was there to see the first wink
      and hear the first tale told.
      I was the first one caught
      in the hair of the Great Imposter.

      Whirling around the still-point of esctasy
      I spun like the wheel of heaven.

      How can I describe this to you?
      you were born later.

      I was a companion of that Ancient Lover;
      Like a bowl with a broken rim
      I endured his tyranny.
      Why shouldn't I be as lustrous as the King's cup?
      I have lived in the room of treasures.
      Why shouldn't this bubble become the sea?
      I am the secret that lies at its bottom . . .

      Shhhh . . . no more words
      Hear only the voice within.
      Remember, the first thing He said was:
      "We are beyond words."

      - Rumi, Ghazal 1529, interpretive version by Jonathan Star, from A Garden Beyond Paradise: The Mystical Poetry of Rumi, posted to Sunlight