Tues./March 21/2000

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2000
      Hello! Nondual Highlights has 5 editors, and if anyone else
      would like to edit the highlights once a week, give me, or
      any of the editors, a shout. You can try a creative style of
      editing if you'd like. Thanks for being there. Be sure to
      check-out O.H.'s greeting card. It'll jazz up your day!

      Jerry

      XAN QUOTES GANGAJI

      "I am asking you to tell me what it is you truly want for
      its own sake.
      And if you still imagine that somehow you don't have that,
      let me know what you imagine keeps you from it. Let's
      examine it and see. Is that obstruction to truth real or is
      it part of the webbing, part of the fabric of your
      imagination?"

      SHANKAR (from I AM list)

      Because 'Awareness' exists, 'this one (state)' is not
      'sleep', (and)
      Because there is 'absence of thoughts', it is not 'even
      waking'- Awareness-Existence, Chit-Sat, Vast Form of Shiva
      (is this state), Without 'leaving' this 'Chit', 'abide' in
      'that'.

      Translation of verse 229 in 'Essence of Sadhana' by Sri
      Sadhu Om Swamigal.

      Dear NDS,

      O.H. has sent you a greeting card:

      http://www.123greetings.com/view/K30321045841843

      MANCHINE

      Everyone, everyone is right. Feel that and understand
      that. Listen.
      It's only a matter of context. There is unlimited power in
      the knowledge of others, no matter it comes from.

      ANDREW MACNAB

      Thinking about Gene's and Terry's recent posts about
      boundary issues, skin, ego being the skin of the self, I
      thought of Lao Tzu where he says;

      "The Way produces one; one produces two, two produce three,
      three produce all beings...."

      In the familiar yin yang symbol, one is seen as the whole
      circle, two are the black yin and white yang 'fishes',
      three... in commentaries on Lao Tzu, the three are said to
      be heaven, earth and humanity...
      in the symbol, the white yang section is heaven and the
      black yin section is earth, I think the third, 'humanity' is
      the line between them, the boundary, skin. In this sense,
      there is a skin but its function is to demarcate rather than
      to contain, it is (we are) the means by which all beings
      (the myriad things) take form.

      DAN BERKOW, Ph.D.
      A boundary can be understood either as
      dividing two different things,
      or as the place in which mutual
      interdependent definition occurs.
      Understood the second way,
      the ultimate boundary is
      that which unifies the universe
      by dividing (defining) the universe.
      "I have come not to bring peace,
      but a sword," said Jesus.
      "In the beginning was the Word".

      To know wholeness as distinction,
      love as discrimination;
      to give all things their natures,
      but to have none oneself.
      The ultimate boundary is
      eternity. Eternity is
      our skin, it is the pores
      of our skin.

      SKYE CHAMBERS

      I've never been able to work out what type i am. Just when
      i think i've found slot for me, i discover i'm capable of
      the complete opposite too!. Thats why i don't talk about my
      personal life very often, i'm as changeable as the
      weather...dan knows that ;-)...and i wouldn't have it any
      other way :-)

      No i take that back, thats not quite correct. Even though i
      enjoy all walks of life something never changes and that is
      my need to express myself sincerely and spontaneously. So
      this list is very difficult for me and a lesson in
      discipline. Speech in person is so much faster, so if i am
      misunderstood i can clarify immediately. I prefer a gentle
      manner of speech and expression, my true self has no desire
      to be otherwise, so in person i never experience the hostile
      to - that i could not be so spontaneous here as i no longer
      had full bodily expression. What changes are my abilities,
      and my ever expanding love of and ability to look into all
      facets of life and of course and my beliefs that i have
      inability's, i'm always amazed at how much more we are
      capable of, how the self is always expanding.

      ROGER ISAACS, MARCIA PAUL, AND XAN

      Roger: Is masturbation typically or always a result of
      identification? Is identification involved with it? If one
      has other compulsive physical habits, might these habits be
      an outer sign of inner attachment? Might outward squirming
      of the body, for example, be a symptom of a squirming mind?
      Are stillness in the body & stillness in the mind related or
      is there a dependence? Can one induce the other? Is it
      possible to use challenging circumstances to test &
      encourage stillness in activity? I have only questions.

      Marcia: I have some thoughts on the subject. It seems to me
      that there is more than one use of sex energy. One obvious
      use is procreation. I suspect there are seven ways. Another
      possible use is the creation of a soul.

      But whatever the uses are, if the energy is not being used
      or spent properly it will be used or spent improperly. It
      will leak out in excess movement or overlay other processes
      like emotions where something simple like instinctual
      distaste becomes revulsion. Masturbation relieves a buildup
      of unused sexual energy but it is essentially unsatisfying
      because there is no blending and thus no real satisfaction.

      Xan: When I was studying Chulaqui-quodoshka - the American
      Indian Medicine Ways of sexuality - I learned there are many
      ways to develop and direct sexual energy energy with breath
      and focus, which can then be used for creating, healing,
      consciousness deepening, etc.

      It makes no difference if one is self-pleasuring (The word
      "masturbation" means self abuse so I quit using it.) or
      making love with another, or even if there is a personal
      'lover' relationship. The integrity and skill of these
      practices is quite amazing and I had many exquisite
      experiences while using them.

      The most dramatic is Fire Breath, in which one lies on the
      back alone, hands at rest, breathing and circulating root
      chakra energy up through each chakra until one's head blows
      off!
      This powerful energy can be directed by intention and
      visualization or simply enjoyed.

      There are also levels of orgasm that can be developed far
      beyond what most people reach, even at the best spontaneous
      moments.

      JODYR

      There are no absolute rules regarding sex behavior and
      spirituality.

      If masturbating gets you off, then go for it with gusto.

      If it doesn't, then don't.

      Realization as a phenomenon lies entirely outside the
      purview of sex and all other human behavior.

      While there may be some sort of energy phenomena at play
      during sex, this will not affect one's realization unless
      one decides for it to be so. That is, sex is bad when we
      make it bad, or when you hurt someone else with it. It's
      all about intention, and not about the act or the energy.

      The fact is, way too much time is wasted worrying about the
      effects sex has on spiritual practice. It is the worry
      itself that is harmful, as well as the repression. Sex is
      just sex. It is Shakti's primary manifesting activity.
      Whether for pleasure or procreation, there ain't nothing
      wrong with sex for sex's sake. So if you wanna do it, do it
      for God's sake. Offer your desire and your gratification to
      the Lord. Whether once a year or 3 times a day, it makes no
      difference whatsoever.

      DAN BERKOW, Ph.D.

      Original Awareness has no position.
      An established position is an "imposition",
      and the key is "awakening": observation
      revealing how appearance of a position comes to be,
      and its inherent insubstantiality.
      Defending, asserting, ignoring, or attempting
      to escape this position simply
      perpetuates it.
      Trying to move from this position here
      to freedom there is futile effort,
      as the illusion of a position is maintained.

      Only not moving from the no-position of
      Original Awareness is living truth.
      There is no substitute.
      The reason so many substitutes are