#2939 - Thursday, September 27, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2007
      #2939 - Thursday, September 27, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality. Amazon site: http://nonduality.com/one.htm
      Check availability at your local Borders Store:
      http://www.bordersstores.com/locator/locator.jsp?tt=gn

      Question: Alcoholism, Bukowski, Anna, Woodyard, Spero.

      Answer: Name a disease, a drunk, a diva, a doll, and a David.

      This one is an edgy issue of the Highlights. We're a very independent publication. Like nonduality itself, we can't be nailed down. I hope readers enjoy this edgy side of the Highlights.

      I offer these to increase your
      anecdotal knowledge base as well as demonstrate yet another path of
      experience to nonduality.

      I am a recovered alcoholic, a son of alcoholics, and a product of an
      alcoholic lineage.

      Let me first state that there are people today who say they are
      alcoholics, ( or addicts, or manics, etc. ) as an excuse for behavior.
      While this may be true, it is not what what I am writing about.
      Alcoholism is a door - an oppourtunity - to experience and ultimately
      to embrace/surrender to nonduality.

      There are late stage, hopeless alcoholics who have experienced a
      paradigm shift in perspective, as a result of what is known as "the
      death march of ego". Self destructive behavior, taken to the level
      described numerous times in "The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous",
      can, if survived, induce an out of body experience where one will come
      face to face w/one's higher self - the place in consciousness where
      the illusion of the mind's self-generated "seperation" exists.

      It is here where seperation can be experienced and examined for what
      it is, and it's purpose.

      I will never forget the moment I came to the realization that " I am
      Not my Head ".

      This may sound silly or simplistic, however, this revelation was
      profound and confirmed what I had known since childhood - I AM !

      One cannot rationalize I AM. The constructs of the mind - the image
      building, the lies, the judgemental and reactionary nature cannot
      comprehend the all/nothingness of I AM.

      It's just too quiet there - it drives the monkey brain crazy !

      I could share PROFUSELY concerning nonduality, however, I will
      refrain. I will share an author who has helped me greatly in my
      personal quest for greater understanding/participation in nonduality.
      This is Walter C. Lanyon. Lanyon was one of a group of early 20th
      century enlightened authors, including Joel Goldsmith, Mary Baker Eddy
      and Emmett Fox who were given to revealing the true nature of the
      Christian belief system, outside of all the trapings and dogma.
      My favorite epiphany is from John - " at a time when ye THINK, not - I come "

      Be still and know I AM is the exercise. Re-Cognition of I AM is the goal.

      Peace be yours, Mike

      How's this for nonduality?

      Life Is A Bukowski Poem

      First Charles Bukowski's (1920-1994) poem:

      my uncle Jack

         my uncle Jack
      is a mouse
      is a house on fire
      is a war about to begin
      is a man running down the street with a knife in his back.

        my uncle Jack
      is the Santa Monica pier
      is a dusty blue pillow
      is a scratching black and white dog
      is a man with one arm lighting a cigarette with one hand

         my uncle Jack
      is a slice of burnt toast
      is the place you forgot to look for the key
      is the pleasure of finding 3 rolls of toilet paper in the closet
      is the worst dream you've ever had that you can't remember

         my uncle Jack
      is the firecracker that went off in your hand
      is your run-over cat dead outside your driveway at 10:30 a.m.
      is the crap game you won in the Santa Anita parking lot
      is the man your woman left you for that night in the cheap hotel room.

         my uncle Jack
      is your uncle jack
      is death coming like a freight train a clown with weeping eyes
      is your car jack and your fingernails and the scream of the biggest
      mountain now.

      Life Is Like A Bukowski Poem

      Life Is Like A Bukowski Poem
      public, raw and ugly
      no punches held
      back,
      rough, red scars on a
      beaten-down body
      a drunken Soul
      thirsting for more,

      as if you're defending
      your own all-alone life,
      as if an energy
      sucks you through
      to the other side
      where his poems
      live

      oh, so fuckingly beautifully,
      alive.

      (I wrote this poem early this morning, before I attended the funeral
      of a 'patient' who reminded me much of my Mother.)

      --Anna

      The Testing

      The testing of our foundational beliefs happens at least once a day.
      Like the obnoxious noise interrupting our TV show, it drills into our
      brain, reminding us that we are not real. If we are smart, we will use
      that pause to say thank you for the reminder.

      "Do not adjust your set" is another old-fashioned reminder. It isn't
      our problem; it is that of the broadcaster. Fiddling with the knobs
      does us no good. Really.

      Some of us carry our sets around with us in our heads. It's
      unfortunate, because there are no knobs at all on these; we just think
      there are.

      Every now and then someone heaves a sigh and then their set. After the
      loud crash, the peace seems real. Ah, but it isn't. That kind of peace
      cannot be had so easily. For that you need a dish.

      --Vicki Woodyard

      George: Okay, David, since you are examining your work here in public,
      I'd like to ask straight out: what is your work? I have some sense of what it is, and enjoy seeing you;
      but further off-the-cuff explanations from you here would be clarifying.
      .

      David Spero: Well, George, in a nutshell, I really don't "teach" anything at all.
      I show up, sit with those who also show up, then allow the "natural
      state" of sahaja samadhi give its own teaching, radiate its own
      perfume. That "teaching," as I've come to understand and interpret it
      with my limited mind, is a coexistence of advaita Vedanta,
      devotional, and kundalini realizations - all blended - arising
      spontaneously out of One Supreme Unidentifiable Awareness, which can't
      be located in time and space. I often talk about things that people
      want to hear, "enlightenment topics," or I give a specific talk based
      on the general atmosphere present in the room that evening. It's
      pretty simple, really. Bliss is contagious and no effort is required
      to taste It. In a way, I just keep everyone entertained while That
      does Its work. It's quite powerful, absolutely effortless and utterly
      simple. "I" really does not know how this manifests and yet "I" is
      that very happening. I hope this helps....