#2914 - Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2007
      #2914 - Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.
      - Alan Watts

      Ed. note:
      This issue is all about Alan Watts, being so potentially huge a topic, that it is "narrowed" to the theme of the above quote. From the many videos on YouTube, I selected a series, recently put on by his son, Mark Watts. This TV talk is even more true and timely now than it was in 1971.

      Alan Watts Speaks...t r a n s c r i b e d

      Why must everyone experience their divinity?
      or, What's so important about Entheogenesis?

         To know that you are God is another way of saying that you feel completely with this universe. You feel profoundly rooted in it and connected with it.

         You feel, in other words, that the whole energy, which expresses itself in the galaxies, is intimate. It is not something to which you are a stranger, but it is that with which you, whatever that is, are intimately bound up. That in your seeing your hearing your talking your thinking your moving, you express that which it is that moves the sun and other stars.

      And if you don't know that,
      if you don't feel that,
      well naturally you feel alien,
      you feel a stranger in the world.

         And if you feel a stranger you feel hostile, and therefore you start to bulldoze things about, to beat it up and to try to make the world submit to your will, and you become a real troublemaker.

      What's the problem? Listen to Real Audio!

         This whole sensation that we're brought up to have,
      of being an island of consciousness locked up in a bag of skin,
      facing outside us a world that is profoundly alien to us
      in the sense that what is outside me is not me,
      this sets up a fundamental sensation of hostility and estrangement
      between ourselves and the so-called "external world"

      http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/s/mschelb/alanwatts.htm

      So the bodhisattva saves all beings, not by preaching sermons to them, but by showing them that they are delivered, they are liberated, by the act of not being able to stop changing.
      - Alan Watts

      Add Video to QuickList
      07:07

      A 1971 television recording with Alan Watts walking in the mountains and talking about the limitations of technology and the problem of trying to keep track of an infinite universe with a single tracked mind. Video posted by Alan's son and courtesy of alanwatts.com.

      Add Video to QuickList
       or click on "more from this user" for all 4 parts

      Good reading, a rich bio, even if you think you already know enough about his life.

      Some interesting external links, too.

      Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.

      - Alan Watts