#2903 - Friday, August 17, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2007
      #2903 - Friday, August 17, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      NONDUAL HIGHLIGHTS

      This is Always Enough
      ohn Astin

      Just released... August 3rd
      [Editor's Note: Information on ordering appears at the end of book excerpts.]

      Clear and Still
           A review by Gloria Lee
      Silent Retreat

      The nametag
      says it all:

      "I am
      observing
      silence"

      How true.

      This is indeed
      what I am -
      the observing silence,
      and everything
      that is observed.

      John Astin

      To see fish at the bottom of a pond, the water needs to be both clear and still. So does the observer. John Astin renders his precise observations with the artistry of a Zen master's ink drawing. Simplicity and naturalness characterize both his poems and prose. This book is a work of art that will stop you in your tracks. Will you see the vision of reality pointed to by the words? It would be hard to miss, presented in a way that goes so directly to the heart of the matter. Indeed, why complicate it? Few writers can paint a picture of essential truths so succinctly and with such loving grace. Like a hologram, each poem somehow contains the whole.

      There is also a familiarity with the ways life can slip by us, how the moment may elude us. Reading the section "Our Argument with What Is" provides invaluable insights that question our habitual ways of thinking and our unexamined assumptions. The way "All Strategies Eventually Fail" is actually good news! So what if we are going from one unknown to the next unknown? Hasn't it ever been thus, whether we realized it or not?

      "There is no escaping the truth of this impermanence, is there? But who would ever want to?"
      ~   ~   ~

      The mystery that is aware of this moment has already
      accepted it, as it is. We cannot create this radical acceptance
      and we are powerless to make it go away, for the very nature
      of awareness is to accept, without conditions, what is.

      ~   ~   ~

      To not-know is to be free, free from the prison of your own ideas.

      ~   ~   ~

      Awareness is free -- free from knowing what will
      happen next, free from knowing what should happen next, free
      from knowing what anything really is, free from knowing the
      reason for anything, free from knowing what freedom is.

      ~   ~   ~

      The Story

      Rest here and watch.
      See how long it takes for
      the story to reappear –
      that ancient legend that tells us
      this is not enough.

      Keep watching.

      Can you see it happening?
      Nothing is missing, is there,
      until the mind comes back
      to tell us there is,
      no problem
      until the storyteller returns
      to tell us something is wrong.

      Can you see?

      The whole thing
      is made up –
      the destination
      and the path
      to get there.
      Every story,
      even the one
      that tells you to stop
      telling stories,
      is a lie, a tale of lack
      where none
      has ever been.

      (From Chapter I: This Constant Lover)

      ~   ~   ~

      Only the mind seeks confirmation, validation and approval.
      What is awake is simply awake. It is not dependent on
      or conditioned by anything or anybody. It requires no
      validation, no approval. It needs no outside authority to
      confirm or support it. It is its own confirmation.

      ~   ~   ~

      "It is impossible to lose the only thing there is."

      ~   ~   ~

      All the spiritual prescriptions and practices -- be
      non-attached, accept what is, be open to experience, do not cling,
      be compassionate -- these are all descriptions of awareness
      itself, descriptions of what you have always been.

      ~   ~   ~

      The awareness that you are has never believed a single
      thought the mind has produced. Only thought has ever
      believed thought. "That's true." "That's false," thought
      believing thought -- the wheel of suffering...

      ~   ~   ~

      This Human Heart

      Everything
      I have belongs
      to You.
      Everything
      I am
      is You.
      And yet still,
      there is
      something
      in this very
      human heart
      that keeps
      saying:

      "Here,
      take this
      too."

      ~   ~   ~

      What is being pointed to here is not "yes" as opposed to "no,"

      not a surrender that is in opposition to resistance.

      This is the yes that has no opposite,

      the yes that has room in it for both yes and no,

      the openness that has space even for the closing.

      ~   ~   ~

      Every Argument

      Every argument
      the mind
      can conjure up,
      every belief
      and feeling
      that cries out,
      "This could
      not be God,"
      is met by
      the sheer force
      of this mystery
      that welcomes
      everything.

      We are forever
      drowning
      in that Love...

      ©2007 John Astin

      ~   ~   ~

      In August of 2007, Non-Duality Press - http://www.non-dualitybooks.com/
      released "This Is Always Enough," John Astin's latest collection of poetic and prose reflections on the non-dual nature of reality.

      John Astin's website:  http://www.integrativearts.com/
      To see more of John's most recent writings, please visit his blog at Out Beyond Ideas