#2902 - Thursday, August 16, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2007
      #2902 - Thursday, August 16, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality. Amazon site: http://nonduality.com/one.htm
      Check availability at your local Borders Store:
      http://www.bordersstores.com/locator/locator.jsp?tt=gn

      Several fine writings from recent contributors to Nonduality Salon, and a couple of announcements/links that I think you'll like.

      Amusement Park

      by Jodi

      The Venus/Mars of my mind pulls/pushes me through the crowd here at No-Flags Amusement Park.
      Self-evident selves cross Paths, bumping into each other, sometimes smiling, sometimes frowning,
      sometimes shaking a fist. I'm right in the thick of it - I'm on mission. Following my Heart, I'm
      searching for a particular ride, The Carousel of Unknowing. It's Now or never.

      The un-Sattvic smell of Kshatriya-brand hotdogs wafts by. I grab a spiritual map and see that the
      indexer has listed The Carousel of Unknowing, along with all other rides, as location "One". Event-
      ually, I perceive the carousel on the Horizon. The map states that I Am. It's a relief to Be There
      already, because my feet hurt.

      The carousel's music - currently "Ode to Sartre" - is Booming from the Center, which is Illusion.
      Or not. At any rate, here are Ruin's innumerable cousins, including Wisdom, resplendent in a
      Chakra- striped saddle and bridle, and Stupidity, fashionably decked out in Gravitational Black. I
      choose Stupidity (or is this predestined?) and climb on.

      I see that many of the horses are supported by helpful posts. Posts generally reach the heights.
      Some also reach the depths. Some manage to do both at once.

      "Gita-yup," I whisper in Stupidity's ear. She rolls her three eyes. The carousel doesn't start.

      "Move toward Awareness," I suggest. Stupidity glances meditatively at Awareness, who appears to
      have a cushion for a saddle. There is no movement. There is only stillness.

      "Embody Truth?" I plead. Stupidity looks around for Truth. His reins are tied to a podium, and he's
      nuzzling a pre-written speech. I can't blame her for not going there.

      I'm stuck. And worse, although the horses are all branded with the word Exit (and their saddles are
      stamped with varying numbers of little Buddhas), I can't find an exit. The situation is
      intolerable.

      It appears that all horses are forever beyond me. Still, I lean forward to look around: maybe I am
      . . . I lean forward some more: maybe I'm not . . . I lean further: maybe I can never . . . I slump
      forward, hanging from my horse's neck. Yes, Stupidity, thinking is ridiculously meaningless.

      Stupidity whispers in my ear, "Be Nothing." I straighten up and look around. There doesn't seem to
      be a Nothing. This is the last straw. I give up.

      Astonishingly, Nothing happens.

      A bell rings. Effortlessly, The Carousel of Unknowing moves-and- stops. (This ride is not what I
      expected.)

      I give Stupidity a loving pat, dismount, and disappear into the everyday crowd.

      The Real Secret

      Nothing is mine

      and no-one can take

      that away from me.

      I am free.

      Peace,

      Anna

      It is as if...

      It is as if I were living a third life these days. The first two were
      long ago and far away. At first there was a daughter who called me
      Mama and did pirouettes for me to see. Then she left and life rolled
      on into the sea of the everyday once again. The tsunami of my
      husband's death revealed the second life I had to undergo. As
      caregiver I lunged heavily into the sorrow and suffering. I chronicled
      it online. Now I am seemingly free.

      What now? Is it enough to live peaceably within, letting the outer
      manifestation called Vicki find simple pleasures. I think so. I think
      this third life is given over to conscious self-care. I remember
      reading about the Shivapuri Baba who lived so very simply. He taught
      his student, J. G. Bennett, how to procure flowers from the market and
      arrange them to perfection. It was in this way that he learned to
      awaken. I can do that. I have had experience in taking care of
      people...why not flowers?

      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.bobwoodyard.com

      Dear Jerry,

      I am now making available on our websites (radicalhappiness.com and endless-satsang.com) a free 60-minute MP3 recording of a channeled satsang. To hear this talk entitled “Moving from the Ego to Essence,” click on the link below (which is the homepage of my website) and then scroll down to the bottom of the page, where you will find a link to the recording. Here is a description of it:

      ThroughGina Lake , Theo, a collective consciousness, offers inspiration and understanding about how to move out of identification with the ego and into essence and answers questions from participants in a satsang held in Sedona , AZ in February, 2007.

      I realize that the idea of channeled satsang might be a little radical for some, but that is the best description I can find for what I do. If you think your list would enjoy this recording, would you please send it out to them? Thank you!

      Click here and then scroll to the bottom of the page to the link for “Moving from the Ego to Essence”: http://radicalhappiness.com

      Gina Lake
      (928) 282-5770
      ginalakenow@...
      www.radicalhappiness.com

      Editor's note: I listened to this hour-long recording which features a full focus upon essence, making ego look negligible. I think many of you will enjoy listening. I would not have known that the speaker was channeled entity had I not been told. I've never heard Gina speak before, so I had nothing to compare her speaking style to. -Jerry

      New book by Peter Fenner, Ph.D.
      Radiant Mind: Awakening Unconditioned Awareness

      Buy Now - http://store.soundstrue.com/bk01133d.html

      Book description
      Whether it is called enlightenment, pure awareness, or "unconditioned
      awareness," there exists an awakened state of pure liberation that is at the
      heart of every contemplative tradition. According to Peter Fenner, this
      experience of boundless consciousness does not have to exist separately
      from our day-to-day, "conditioned" existence. Rather, we can learn to live as
      unique individuals at the same time as we rest in a unified expanse of
      oneness with all existence--a state he calls "Radiant Mind.”

      Students in the West often feel frustrated in trying to follow the Eastern path
      to awakening, confused by seemingly vague or counter-intuitive teachings.
      Peter Fenner created the Radiant Mind practice to help you break through the
      obstacles that are often challenging for practitioners in our culture. Drawing
      on his background in Eastern spirituality and Western psychology, Fenner
      brings you a precise, step-by-step approach to non-dual practice that
      includes:

      • How to observe and dissolve fixations, to live in the here and now
        without being controlled by our desires
      • Listening and speaking in a way that moves us toward pure openness--
        and lets us share this experience with others
      • Tools for identifying our conscious and unconscious sources of suffering--
        and learning to transcend those patterns

      "As extraordinary as unconditioned mind may sound," teaches Peter Fenner,
      "it isn't distant from our everyday life; it's always readily available to us."
      With Radiant Mind this master-teacher crystallizes the contemplative wisdom
      of the East into an eminently accessible guide for living a life suffused with
      pure bliss.

      Buy Now

      About the Author
      Peter Fenner, Ph.D. studied as a monk for nine years with many notable
      Buddhist lamas, including and Thubten Yeshe, Sogyal Rinpoche, and Zopa
      Rinpoche. He is founder of the Center for Timeless Wisdom, and the author
      of numerous books, including Reasoning into Reality (Wisdom Publications,
      1995) and The Edge of Certainty (Nicolas-Hays, 2002). He has taught
      workshops at Stanford Medical School, Columbia University, and elsewhere.

      Endorsements
      Radiant Mind is an excellent guidebook for waking up from our collective
      trance and realizing the promise of enlightened life, both within oneself and
      in our benighted world. Peter Fenner has studied with wise Tibetan elders
      and brought their practical and also nondualistic teachings alive in a modern
      way which can benefit us all, skillfully pointing out how we can discover and
      actualize our innate unconditioned awareness while integrating it into daily
      life, where the rubber actually meets the road on the spiritual path. This
      book will help us to understand and practice the View, Meditation and Action
      of Dzogchen, the Natural Great Perfection.

      Lama Surya Das,
      author of Awakening to the Sacred: Building a Spiritual Life from Scratch,
      Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning and Connection
      into Every Part of Your Life, Letting go of the Person You Used to Be:
      Lessons on Change, Loss and Spiritual Transformation

      [The Radiant Mind course] is a brilliant postmodern implementation of
      Buddhist nondual wisdom. Peter Fenner has taken the refined deconstructive
      practices that have liberated ten of thousands of Asian contemplatives and
      adapted them for effective Western use. I highly recommend it.

      Robert Thurman, Ph.D.,
      Buddhist Scholar, Columbia University,
      President of Tibet House in New York

      Peter Fenner is a teacher-practitioner of the first order. I know of no other
      Western author who communicates the essential reality of unconditioned
      awareness with such power, simplicity, and authenticity. Read this book.
      Enjoy unconditioned awareness.

      Allan Combs, Ph.D.,
      author of: The Radiance of Being:
      Understanding the Grand Integral Vision; Living the Integral Life.

      Buy Now http://store.soundstrue.com/bk01133d.html

      www.radiantmind.net

      If we really dropped illusions for what they can give us or deprive
      us of, we would be alert.  The consequence of not doing this is
      terrifying and unescapable.  We lose our capacity to love.  If you
      wish to love, you must learn to see again.  And if you wish to see,
      you must learn to give up your drug.  It's as simple as that.  Give
      up your dependency.  Tear away the tentacles of society that have
      enveloped and suffocated your being.  You must drop them.
      Externally, everything will go on as before, but though you will
      continue to be in the world, you will no longer be of it.  In your
      heart, you will now be free at last, if utterly alone.  Your
      dependence on your drug will die.  You don't have to go to the
      desert; you're right in the middle of people; you're enjoying them
      immensely.  But they no longer have the power to make you happy or
      miserable.  That's what aloneness means.  In this solitude your
      dependence dies.  The capacity to love is born.  One no longer sees
      others as means of satisfying one's addiction.  Only someone who has
      attempted this knows the terrors of the process.  It's like inviting
      yourself to die.  It's like asking the poor drug addict to give up
      the only happiness he has ever known.  How to replace it with the
      taste of bread and fruit and the clean taste of the morning air, the
      sweetness of the water of the mountain stream?  While he is
      struggling with his withdrawal symptoms and the emptiness he
      experiences within himself now that his drug is gone, nothing can
      fill the emptiness except his drug.  Can you imagine a life in which
      you refuse to enjoy or take pleasure in a single word of appreciation
      or to rest your head on anyone's shoulder for support?  Think of a
      life in which you depend on no one emotionally, so that no one has
      the power to make you happy or miserable anymore.  You refuse to need
      any particular person or to be special to anyone or to call anyone
      your own.  The birds of the air have their nests and the foxes their
      holes, but you will have nowhere to rest your head in your journey
      through life.  If you ever get to this state, you will at last know
      what it means to see with a vision that is clear and unclouded by
      fear or desire.  Every word there is measured.  To see at last with a
      vision that is clear and unclouded by fear or desire.  You will know
      what it means to love.  But to come to the land of love, you must
      pass through the pains of death, for to love persons means to die to
      the need for persons, and to be utterly alone.

      How would you ever get there?  By a ceaseless awareness, by the
      infinite patience and compassion you would have for a drug addict.
      By developing a taste for the good things in life to counter the
      craving for your drug.  What good things?  The love of work which you
      enjoy doing for the love of itself; the love of laughter and intimacy
      with people to whom you do not cling and on whom you do not depend
      emotionally but whose company you enjoy.  It will also help if you
      take on activities that you can do with your whole being, activities
      that you so love to do that while you're engaged in them success,
      recognition, and approval simply do not mean a thing to you.  It will
      help, too, if you return to nature.  Send the crowds away, go up to
      the mountains, and silently commune with trees and flowers and
      animals and birds, with sea and clouds and sky and stars.  I've told
      you what a spiritual exercise it is to gaze at things, to be aware of
      things around you.  Hopefully, the words will drop, the concepts will
      drop, and you will see, you will make contact with reality.  That is
      the cure for loneliness.  Generally, we seek to cure our loneliness
      through emotional dependence on people, through gregariousness and
      noise.  That is no cure.  Get back to things, get back to nature, go
      up in the mountains.  Then you will know that your heart has brought
      you to the vast desert of solitude, there is no one there at your
      side, absolutely no one.

      At first this will seem unbearable.  But it is only because you are
      unaccustomed to aloneness.  If you manage to stay there for a while,
      the desert will suddenly blossom into love.  Your heart will burst
      into song.  And it will be springtime forever; the drug will be out;
      you're free.  Then you will understand what freedom is, what love is,
      what happiness is, what reality is, what truth is, what God is.  You
      will see, you will know beyond concepts and conditioning, addictions
      and attachments.  Does that make sense?

      Let me end this with a lovely story.  There was a man who invented
      the art of making fire.  He took his tools and went to a tribe in the
      north, where it was very cold, bitterly cold.  He taught the people
      there to make fire.  The people were very interested.  He showed them
      the uses to which they could put fire -- they could cook, could keep
      themselves warm, etc.  They were so grateful that they had learned
      the art of making fire.  But before they could express their
      gratitude to the man, he disappeared.  He wasn't concerned with
      getting their recognition or gratitude; he was concerned about their
      well being.  He went to another tribe, where he again began to show
      them the value of his invention.  People were interested there, too,
      a bit too interested for the peace of mind of their priests, who
      began to notice that this man was drawing crowds and they were losing
      their popularity.  So they decided to do away with him.  They
      poisoned him, crucified him, put it any way you like.  But they were
      afraid now that the people might turn against them, so they were very
      wise, even wily.  Do you know what they did?  They had a portrait of
      the man made and mounted it on the main altar of the temple.  The
      instruments for making fire were placed in front of the portrait, and
      the people were taught to revere the portrait and to pay reverence to
      the instruments of fire, which they dutifully did for centuries.  The
      veneration and the worship went on, but there was no fire.

      Where's the fire?  Where's the love?  Where's the drug uprooted from
      your system?  Where's the freedom?  This is what spirituality is all
      about.  Tragically, we tend to lose sight of this, don't we?  This is
      what Jesus Christ is all about.  But we overemphasized the 'Lord,
      Lord,' didn't we?  Where's the fire?  And if worship isn't leading to
      the fire, if adoration isn't leading to love, if the liturgy isn't
      leading to a clearer perception of reality, if God isn't leading to
      life, of what use is religion except to create more division, more
      fanaticism, more antagonism?  It is not from lack of religion in the
      ordinary sense of the word that the world is suffering, it is from
      lack of love, lack of awareness.  And love is generated through
      awareness and through no other way, no other way.  Understand the
      obstructions you are putting in the way of love, freedom, and
      happiness and they will drop.  Turn on the light of awareness and the
      darkness will disappear.  Happiness is not something you acquire;
      love is not something you produce; love is not something that you
      have; love is something that has you.  You do not have the wind, the
      stars, and the rain.  You don't possess these things; you surrender
      to them.  And surrender occurs when you are aware of your illusions,
      when you are aware of your addictions, when you are aware of your
      desires and fears.  As I told you earlier, first, psychological
      insight is a great help, not analysis, however; analysis is
      paralysis.  Insight is not necessarily analysis.  One of your great
      American therapists put it very well: "It's the 'Aha' experience that
      counts."  Merely analyzing gives no help; it just gives information.
      But if you could produce the "Aha" experience, that's insight.  That
      is change.  Second, the understanding of your addiction is
      important.  You need time.  Alas, so much time that is given to
      worship and singing praise and singing songs could so fruitfully be
      employed in self understanding.  Community is not produced by joint
      liturgical celebrations.  You know deep down in your heart, and so do
      I, that such celebrations only serve to paper over differences.
      Community is created by understanding the blocks that we put in the
      way of community, by understanding the conflicts that arise from our
      fears and our desires.  At that point community arises.  We must
      always beware of making worship just another distraction from the
      important business of living.  And living doesn't mean working in
      government, or being a big businessman, or performing great acts of
      charity.  That isn't living.  Living is to have dropped all the
      impediments and to live in the present moment with freshness.  "The
      birds of the air .  .  .  they neither toil nor spin" -- that is
      living.  I began by saying that people are asleep, dead.  Dead people
      running governments, dead people running big business, dead people
      educating others; come alive!  Worship must help this, or else it's
      useless.  And increasingly -- you know this and so do I -- we're
      losing the youth everywhere.  They hate us; they're not interested in
      having more fears and more guilts laid on them.  They're not
      interested in more sermons and exhortations.  But they are interested
      in learning about love.  How can I be happy?  How can I live?  How
      can I taste these marvelous things that the mystics speak of?  So
      that's the second thing -- understanding.  Third, don't identify.
      Somebody asked me as I was coming here today, "Do you ever feel
      low?"  Boy, do I feel low every now and then.  I get my attacks.  But
      they don't last, they really don't.  What do I do?  First step: I
      don't identify.  Here comes a low feeling.  Instead of getting tense
      about it, instead of getting irritated with myself about it, I
      understand I'm feeling depressed, disappointed, or whatever.  Second
      step: I admit the feeling is in me, not in the other person, e.g., in
      the person who didn't write me a letter, not in the exterior world;
      it's in me.  Because as long as I think it's outside me, I feel
      justified in holding on to my feelings.  I can't say everybody would
      feel this way; in fact, only idiotic people would feel this way, only
      sleeping people.  Third step: I don't identify with the feeling.  "I"
      is not that feeling.  "I" am not lonely, "I" am not depressed, "I" am
      not disappointed.  Disappointment is there, one watches it.  You'd be
      amazed how quickly it glides away.  Anything you're aware of keeps
      changing; clouds keep moving.  As you do this, you also get all kinds
      of insights into why clouds were coming in the first place.

      What kind of feeling comes upon you when you're in touch with nature,
      or when you're absorbed in work that you love?  Or when you're really
      conversing with someone whose company you enjoy in openness and
      intimacy without clinging?  What kind of feelings do you have?
      Compare those feelings with the feelings you have when you win an
      argument, or when you win a race, or when you become popular, or when
      everybody's applauding you.  The latter feelings I call worldly
      feelings; the former feelings I call soul feelings.  Lots of people
      gain the world and lose their soul.  Lots of people live empty,
      soulless lives because they're feeding themselves on popularity,
      appreciation, and praise, on `I'm O.K., you're O.K.,' look at me,
      attend to me, support me, value me, on being the boss, on having
      power, on winning the race.  Do you feed yourself on that?  If you
      do, you're dead.  You've lost your soul.  Feed yourself on other,
      more nourishing material.  Then you'll see the transformation.  I've
      given you a whole program for life, haven't I?

      Anthony de Mello, SJ
      contributed by Mark Otter