NDdigest for Sunday, June 27

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 1999
      Nondual Digest - for Sunday, June 27, 1999:

      To join the Nonduality Salon please go to
      <http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nondualitysalon>

      TimH:

      [] When we stop 'telling' each other what we have been 'told' and start
      telling people what we 'know' we begin to develop a 'bond' of true
      'understanding'. In other words, we can really say that for the first time...
      "this much I know" and mean it. Does this change our 'spin' on the truth?
      Absolutely not! It 'humbles' your truth which then allows it to influence you
      in 'accord' with your common sense of goodness thus bubbling up to where you
      can begin to 'see' your 'self' thus giving you more and more 'self-control'.
      You literally blossum like flower and then continue to do so.... :o). .... or
      so I am told....

      Jerry :

      In perhaps his most famous response to one who requested him to preach
      the Dharma, Buddha simply held up a flower and gazed at it. One of his
      venerable disciples understood in that moment, and smiled, and Zen
      Buddhism was born.

      By Dharma is meant to act within one's nature. So to gaze at a flower is
      to gaze at what is already complete. Buddha did not bother to give a
      koan or a mantra. He did not talk about breathing. In the moment of
      gazing at the flower and the arising of the smile, what breath was
      there? Breath was held. It was not even held. There was no breath. There
      was simply What Is.

      So what you say, Tim, and what I say, all that's fine. But learning from
      Buddha, we see that there is nothing to do, no flowering that has to
      occur. No koan to be answered. There's no mantra to be captured in one's
      heart like a pod. What there is is the flowering already.

      It may be awhile before a person sees that. It may appear that one has
      to 'flower' and that only when one has flowered will one understand
      Buddha's gesture. All one ever comes to see is that there was always the
      flower always there to be gazed at. And then the smile comes. And some
      call that e-n-l-i-g-h-t-e-n-m-e-n-t.

      From: Marcia Paul

      I have been pondering the concept of core wounds and
      trying to make observations in myself. This has been a
      very interesting task.

      I was talking about my observations with my friends today
      in our weekly get together. The discussion centered around
      the idea of being able to touch the wound. Just to simply
      touch it and hold still and bear it I guess would be the best
      way to say it.

      One thing that I noticed in myself and I have noticed this
      before but not frequently and I seem to forget it is this
      kind of nervousness or anxiety surrounding my feelings.
      The best way I can describe it is I can see my mother
      wringing her hands and fussing over little Marcia and
      whether she was okay or not. So little Marcia got the
      "picture" imprinted fairly early that her little feelings
      were something to be worried about.

      And if I look back at my mother's history she came
      from a large family of thirteen children. She was fourth
      in line and it was the depression and they were dirt farmers.
      She had an alcoholic father who beat the children and she
      never ever talked about her upbringing. I was her only
      child and I can see that I wanted/needed to fill those
      gaping wounds in her (me?). She was very anxious in
      her body and was unable to properly nurture as she was
      never nurtured. She did love me very much and I her but
      somehow I could never make it okay. It gets passed on
      and hopefully as I see it I heal it in my children as well as
      myself.

      Anyway as I was driving today I felt very needy. What was
      different was that I said to myself that I was feeling needy.
      I allowed myself to touch the neediness. I really felt needy.
      I didn't blame someone "out there" for not appreciating me.
      The really truly amazing thing was that I saw that something
      inside/interior to the neediness could indeed nurture that
      neediness.

      From: Jerry M. Katz

      It is that which fills the spaces in your life.

      It is that which you've named and instructed others upon.

      It hides behind trees and takes cloud cover.

      You weep.

      And when it comes out

      It is bright and seems to follow you.

      It has led you

      To a clear night

      In the desert.

      You see it is simply always there.

      You return to those who name you Teacher.

      And who ask you

      What led you to the desert?

      What happened there?

      From: Xan

      Papaji:

      From where is the I arising? Plunge there. Beyond 'I' you don�t know. This
      place isn�t known to anyone. You plunge in and see. This is inquiry. Dive
      into the unknown. Then there is no ego.

      From Jerry:

      I was going through some writings and came upon this, so I refreshed it,
      and submit it as a cool choice for a hot day. Today the same park is
      teeming with families and well-fed squirrels.
      ________________________________

      It is nicely snowing in Nova Scotia and, knowing that a large and
      popular park by the ocean would be vacant on what is normally one of its
      most populous days of the year, I suggested we take a walk along the
      Atlantic stretching out like a quiet holy presence, and through and
      around the intertwining network of narrow paved and dirt roads slipping
      through the gathered high and scented pines. We were practically alone.
      It was cold and wet.

      As the park's trails wind here and there, seeming always to be in
      celebration of the perfect unchanging ocean, I realize that so do all
      these streams of email on these forums weave a structure which is a
      celebration of an overall holiness.

      At the core of each of these electronic communications is recognized and
      heard a silent holy presence, the true Guru, the quiet unchanging ocean.

      People communicate from that disposition the best know how. They follow
      and carve endless trails in the park that celebrates the ocean. We are
      in satsang with the silent holy presence. And we are the sangha.

      Andrew:

      Unusually hot here today, I've been swimming.
      Primal mind is ocean human mind is salt.
      " Like salt from water
      I issue from my heart."-Salvatore Quasimodo

      Ivan:

      There is a brasilian song that says:" ...in this afternoon,
      the sky is overcast but the storm is past. In a small
      opening between the clouds over the west, by the hills,
      a sun ray got his way through, like a sword, liberating
      the earth..."

      Jerry wrote:

      It seems that no matter how refined perception gets, or attuned
      awareness is, or how nondual anyone is, that when communication takes
      place, a layering-out occurs, whether it is a layering of the stages of
      life or the bodies of man or epochs of evolution or kinds of attention
      or qualities of silence. The occultists and the physicist would point to
      the white light and its composition of seven colors of the rainbow. Even
      the two quotes above could each find categorization in terms of seven
      types. I know it sounds New Age and occult, but there's truth and beauty
      to it.

      Andrew responded:

      Any attempt at communicating here has an element of trickery to it.
      Words are put forward as truth in full knowledge that they are devices.
      Even the simplest statement 'I am' has endless layers.

      Jerry writes:

      Since the full picture -- or the seven layers of any perspective -- are
      never fully offered in a single communication (the sixth and seventh
      layers might be said to be wordless anyway, though we have found words
      here!) -- there's always someone offering to fill-in a layer or two, and
      then the original communicator sometimes feels he or she has to explain
      that they were aware of that layer of understanding but for whatever
      reason chose not to express it.

      In my own communications, when I do my best to point to one or another
      layer of understanding, and someone else fills it in with other layers,
      I rarely respond. I don't take it as someone filling-in "my" knowledge;
      I take it in the spirit that someone wishes to enjoy the expression of a
      different layer of understanding, just as I have enjoyed looking at a
      particular layer.

      And it's possible that I don't understand all layers of understanding,
      such as the layers within layers, in which case I am educated by
      another. So, though I spoke of seven layers, it is clear that each layer
      has a certain number of layers, and those layers have layers. Anyone who
      doubts it need only read Alice Bailey's A Treatise On Cosmic Fire.

      From: "Maurice" <postage@...>

      The Toto Bardoque Party

      If you enjoyed the Unicorn Barbeque you will enjoy the Toto Bardoque Party.
      You don't even have to leave your body to attend as you are already there.
      But here now we are going to roast Toto, you know, that little doggie in the
      Wizard of Oz.. Oh no, you exclaim! Sorry, but that is the nature of the Toto
      Bardoque. Oh, I should mention that Toto is a short nickname for Total, for
      What Is, manifested or not. One might call that the Noumen or Total
      Subjectivity, or Consciousness, perhaps, but here it is just that little
      manifested doggie Toto for short, ha ha. Toto is Good Food, I assure you,
      particularly when eaten Whole...now don't worry, Toto isn't going anywhere,
      Toto is immortal, but nevertheless this is a Bardoque. Now what the hell
      does that mean?

      Normally, Gombies (my temporary name for homo sapiens living the waking
      dream in their normal condition of sleep... which also could be called the
      waking dead) are in a trance-like condition in the process of separating
      from their dead bodies (the physical-mechanical apparatus with which they
      identify in the relatively unconscious process of evolving consciousness.
      The Trance is the normal consciousness and is also known as the "Chikhai
      Bardo of which I am taking certain liberties...

      To come to a Toto Bardoque is to begin to realize that Reality is Toto
      :))Consciousness, and when eaten Whole (non-dually), there is no more
      hunger or Bardoques that need be attended.

      Now, apparently, very few will actually consciously come to this Bardoque,
      although many may participate more frequently in the "Chonyid and Sidpa
      Bardoques. But here, in the Bardoquing of Toto, bless Its infinite Doggie
      Heart, there is Final Release in All. What more could you possibly want to
      eat? Come today. Partake of Toto. Through off that Gombieism (again, Gombies
      are dead but don't realize they are dead ...the ego-consciousness thinks it
      is making life)! Dance and be merry at this Toto Bardoque or tomorrow you
      may just be another Gombie where the tail is wagging that dog to death, ha
      ha. Barf, Barf, it up, that indigestable ego lump of illusion creating
      power-thumping tails or heads? Hey, it's raining tails and heads and Toto's
      all over and Noone is doing everything. Time for the Toto Bardoque Party is
      High Noone. See Ya....:)

      Maurice

      << In perhaps his most famous response to one who requested him to preach
      the Dharma, Buddha simply held up a flower and gazed at it. One of his
      venerable disciples understood in that moment, and smiled, and Zen
      Buddhism was born.

      Xan:
      I also read, in a biography of Buddha, that he would hold
      discourses for groups of people, teaching at various levels
      for the people who were present. When he saw someone
      he could see was ripe he would specially address them and
      assist their breakthrough.

      All our ideas of what communication is or should be break down, as well as
      our ideas of enlightenment and how it/we should be.
      Halleleulia!