Tuesday/March14

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2000
      ("Thoughts from the Portuguese of Fernando Pessoa",
      translated by Thomas Merton) love, John

      When my gaze is clear
      I think and write
      the way flowers wear color,
      yet less perfectly is
      my mode of expression
      for I lack the divine simplicity
      of being entirely myself
      and nothing more.

      When I look
      I am moved--
      and I am nature--
      the breeze rising lightly--
      a wind going by.

      I do not bother with rhymes.
      I have no philosophy.
      If I talk of nature, that is not because
      I know what nature is
      but because I love it.
      My village creek is
      great because it's free.

      The best mysticism is simple
      and does not think.
      It lives on the top of a hill
      in a lonely whitewashed house
      and sings to the rivers.

      The flying bird leaves no trace
      nor marks the earth with her track.
      She flies by the mystery of things.

      And as for the sun each morning--

      It rises on time.

      This plant on my desk shifts slightly,
      as an unknown breeze touches only one
      leaf.

      Look at all the shades of red and orange
      that the sun throws on the gray clouds
      as it sets...

      Dan

      ~ Feel all these breezes and shades
      of life moving through this body
      each moment....
      xan

      You indulge in
      Self improvement

      And

      All you have to show for it
      Is an improved self.

      --Ram Tzu (contributed by Judi Rhodes)

      Andrew's Song
      by O.H.

      andrew dearest, i see you standing on that ridge, looking
      out over
      ragged peaks, wind blowing, fog rolling in, you remain
      still, strong,
      and on the breeze, a voice, (along with a whiff of pepperoni
      and extra
      cheese) comes up from the valley, haggard but true, singing
      just to you:

      lalala...Why this feeling?
      Why this glow?
      Why the thrill when you say hello?
      I must tell you what my heart
      knows is true.
      Mr. Wonderful, that's you!

      lalala...Why this trembling?
      When you speak?
      Why the joy when you touch my cheek?
      I must tell you what my heart knows
      is true,
      Mr. Wonderful, that's you!

      lalala...And why this longing
      to know your charms
      to spend forever,
      here in your arms.

      lalala..Oh, there's much more
      i could say,
      but the words keep
      slipping away,
      And i'm left with only one
      point of view.
      Mr. Wonderful, that's you.

      lalala..One more thing,
      then, I'm through.
      Mr. Wonderful!
      Mr. Wonderful!
      Mr. WON...DER....FUL!
      I....love....you.

      SARLO:
      While i am still dreaming and snoring in the realm of
      duality, i may as well take advantage of the privileges of
      the realm, one of which is to say how it is for me. There's
      plenty of time -- can you say eternity? -- to not
      discriminate when i wake up in the beatitude of nonduality.

      DAN:
      Dear Sarlo, Your post strikes me as quite on-target, and I
      take your reference to the realm of duality as ironic humor
      - duality is included and transcended by, not contradicted
      by nonduality - Nonduality as reality is not opposed to nor
      outside what is commonly considered as "duality" - It's
      Oneness that manifests by using what we call "twoness" and
      "manyness" - hence it's the ending of dualistic
      interpretations, not the ending of perceptual
      differentiation - it's just that the separable subject and
      object are no longer "in" perception.
      Discrimination is therefore key - nonduality without
      discrimination is like a diet of cotton candy - it isn't
      healthy and isn't wise. In fact, it's in the midst of
      discrimination that nonduality is found - a naive love that
      can't discriminate is like trying to have oneness without
      diversity - it's potentially harmful. Love and wisdom are
      two sides of one coin.

      TONY:
      Can one get freedom/moksha with desires?
      It brings up other questions:

      XAN:
      - In moksha what is one free from?
      - What is desire?
      - Can one get free without the desire for freedom?
      - Is it the same for everyone?
      - Does one still get desires with moksha?
      - Who measures freedom?
      - Does dualizing sound like fun?

      TONY:
      How are innate tendencies/samskaras effected by non-dual
      success?

      XAN?
      Wait and see No guarantees

      DAN:
      Waking up is now. As now is all there is, waking up is all
      there is. There is nothing other than waking up.
      There is no separate subject who needs to, or can wake up.
      Trying to get from this now to another now is the only
      ignorance there is. It is ignorance because there is no
      separable self to get from this now to that now. As there
      is only now, there is no one experiencing now. Now alone,
      no subject experiencing it, no object being experienced.
      Now alone - no perception "of" now "by" someone - No object
      of perception. Perception alone, this alone.
      FRANK MAIELLO (brought to us from the Advaitin list by
      Harsha)

      really, the importance of coming to terms with all these
      ideas, has to do with how to release the Mind from doing
      battles. and the battles concern our ancient addiction to
      making judgments. once this habit is broken and dissolved,
      we can then live in choiceless awareness and simply BE. we
      can then rise above ideas of being 'this such way' or 'that
      such thing,' and simply primally *BE*.

      therefore, the philosophical approach i've been attempting
      to convey [in apprehending the nature of perception] is, to
      me, the most effective for achieving this end. the one you
      outlined by deutsch, to me, fails to consider or convey the
      reality component within the Appearance category.

      let me try once more to explain [this admittedly difficult
      and sometimes hair-splitting categorization process. but,
      if we keep in mind, the whole purpose of involving ourselves
      in this effort, is to RELEASE THE MIND FROM ITS OBSESSIONS
      WITH JUDGMENTS...source of all limitation and thus
      suffering. it is the mechanism [of maya] that is responsible
      for the appearance of names and forms (which are *in of
      themselves* mithya or unreal) which is the real constituent
      involved in the world-projection in/of brahman (i.e. the
      leela).

      the changeful/temporal effect (appearance or mithya)
      has a changeless/timeless causal foundation (maya).

      *however*--and this is the point of what i see as the common
      misunderstanding-is that even the appearance aspect,
      although fleeting, has a real component. that the mithya
      aspect uniquely comes in due to our taking the appearance of
      names and forms as real *apart* from their source in
      brahman. and this is where delusion occurs [and the
      metaphors 'barren woman's son,' etc. applies].

      it's interesting that 'illusion' has a parallel meaning in
      the english language as 'maya,' insofar as its possessing
      real and unreal components; which is why interpreting the
      statement: 'the world is an illusion' as something that is
      utterly unreal, is so misleading, causing as it does
      therefore a very fundamental duality.

      the ego-Mind, in its obsession to get caught up in battles
      in terms of attractions and repulsions is due to this
      misunderstanding. Jeddu Krishnamurti's popularizing the
      vedantic concept of choiceless awareness speaks to this very
      issue. that is, no matter what or where the Mind goes, it
      is immersed in satchidananda. that our reactive judgments
      of its adventures (viz. that what we're witnessing is
      compulsively being categorized as real or unreal- that
      internal struggle!--based on a condensed, exclusive focus on
      the Particulars, instead of their holistic effulgent Source
      in brahman) is the real culprit sustaining our internal and
      ancient struggle.

      here's [an amusing, perhaps, in its doggedness value]
      collection of my past attempts to convey the central idea of
      the Mind's obsessive-compulsion with limitation.

      the Particular can never have any weight, since it can never
      be considered something unto itself and apart from its
      source in brahman.

      really the root of our problem is getting captured by
      Particulars and thus becoming disconnected through that
      capture, which is what leads to the duality or plurality of
      our awareness. therefore the method has to address that
      process of being captured.

      the ancient exclusivity-trap has become, over time, a
      permanent dynamic in our field of awareness, and is thus
      permanently set and continuously snares us into the belief
      that each Particular is experienced as apart from its source
      in brahman.

      it's a matter of liberating the awareness from the trap of
      Particulars.

      it's a matter of disengaging our habit of allowing the
      Particulars to set their exclusivity-traps on our
      awareness. in other words, our awarenesss moves into a
      given Particular and we allow that to cause us to forget its
      [and our] substratum which leads to our suffering.

      namaste

      GILL EARDLEY (responding to a broadcasted request for
      information)

      Bernadette Roberts is still alive and gives occasional
      retreats in California. Her address is:

      Bernadette Roberts
      1901 1/2 Montana Ave.
      Santa Monica, CA 90403

      The above information is from:
      http://spiritualsearch.webprovider.com/bernadette_roberts.htm

      love, gill

      editor: also see http://www.nonduality.com/berna.htm

      LARRY:
      Greg, I'm having trouble understanding "no separation" in
      your exposition of the various yogas. It seems to me that
      even in no self, no inside/outside,all the same state there
      is still stuff and therefore space between the stuff even if
      the space and the stuff are both consciousness stuff.

      GREG:
      I'm forgetting the post you're referring to. So let's see
      if I can respond anyway....

      Right there, in that object-less state, with no
      subject/object distinction apparent, there is no stuff or
      gaps between stuff. Later, looking back, one might say it
      was totally vivid moment like a beautiful sunset or a
      thrilling movie or great sex or our favorite music. Looking
      back, one seems to see gaps between that moment and the
      next, etc. But in that moment there were no gaps. That's
      the free-sample kind of thing.

      LARRY:
      For some, there is even the quality of heightened vividness,
      vividity! Dramatic, DISTINCT, difference. Spectacular
      separateness. There's just noone home to get excited about
      it. What about THAT???

      GREG:
      This is more like the witness state. This is a very nice
      place, and like you say it's very vivid, everything is
      lighter and more transparent, the colors are brighter,
      sounds more full, thoughts more clear, etc. This is
      compared to the field of experience that seems to be
      siphoned through a separate "me" or "mind." But like you
      say, there is still stuff, and gaps between stuff. There's
      stuff, but it's not anyone's stuff.
      HENRY

      I have had my own different teachers and I never have
      attacked any of my teachers. I do not understand why so
      many feel that they have to attack their teachers. These
      very attacks by the students on the teacher, may be why the
      teacher gets sick and dies. In america, the teacher gets
      blamed for everything wrong, but no one every blames the
      students.

      HARSHA

      Ultimately, the problem is not the guru (even though he or
      she might be totally confused). The problem is the
      imagination that leads people to believe that salvation lies
      somewhere other than where they already are.

      JAN BARENDRECHT

      who would even want to be a teacher, now that everyone who
      saw a glimpse can and will start teaching? The Internet has
      taken over verbal teaching and there is so much already that
      many lives can be spent in nondual detached enjoyment of
      digesting wisdom :)

      BRUCE MORGEN

      "Sanat's World News"
      http://swnews.net/ --
      MARCIA

      I am driving my teenager somewhere. She is upset about
      something totally absurd. I am tempted to get upset back
      cause I am the recipient of her hormonal imbalance. This
      would truly be a trip to the funny farm as anyone, who has
      ever gotten upset at an upset teenager, knows.
      I relax, bring attention to the coming and going of my
      breath, and feel a pulsing in my crown chakra. Because of
      the intensity of the temptation to get upset, the pulsing in
      the crown chakra is very strong. I have noticed this
      repeatedly. That the more intense the temptation the more
      intense the pulsing. It is "as if" there is a direct
      connection and something is getting digested.

      Who am i?
      I am god. No, really.

      I just appear to be a fifty year old male of anglo saxon
      descent. I just happen to appear about 6 feet tall, 195
      pounds, blue eyed, brown hair and so forth. But i really am
      god. No kidding.

      Don't ask me for any big miracles. Don't even think about
      it. I don't do any big miracles. If you want wine, buy
      some. If you're dead, get buried. I have done those things
      and more. But that was other times, other needs. Besides,
      raise one person from the dead and you get a name and it
      doesn't matter 'cause the person is still going to die
      sooner or later. Feh.

      If you want little miracles ok. Just smile. Just be kind.
      Just learn how to change a diaper full of diahrea! Help out
      a stranger. Give without asking for a reward. Volunteer
      for something.

      So why did i come here as this person? I wanted to! I also
      came here as you and you and you and you and you ..... and
      you and you. Whether i believe me on this point or not
      doesn't matter. Nope, not at all.

      Now i look around and everything and everyone i see is me.
      But i do not expect anyone to believe me. Most of me is not
      aware that i am me. And you know what? That is just the
      way i like it!

      Every once in a while i wake one of me up just to take a
      look around.
      This is a damn fine cool place. Glad i made it! Heck, i am
      glad that I AM it!

      Now you may be asking why i made this place and what the
      meaning of it all is. The short answer is - because i could
      and it means what it means - it just is!

      There is more to this than i am going to tell you. But i
      will say this about that. There is nothing you can do to
      wake up. It's just something i do to me for random kicks.
      So, if you know you are me, enjoy! If you do not know you
      are me, enjoy!

      HAHAHAHAH and HOHOHOHO!
      Peace - and Love Abiding - Michael

      MELODY

      For some useful information on Dynamic Meditation, including
      what may well be some important caveats, see
      http://www.clipper.net/~calder/Osho.html

      His caution of not holding one's hands up over one's head is
      an interesting one.

      When I let the body 'go'...simply allow to move as it
      will....I find that my hands naturally lift above my head
      for extended periods. I notice that 'lifting' seems to open
      up an energy flow....like the turning on of a closed
      faucet. This I notice not so much in the Dynamic
      Meditation, but in the Nataraj Meditation (which is
      basically a dancing meditation)

      As with all things, the key seems to be: follow the body's
      cues... listen to one's own inner guidance first and
      foremost.

      When the body says "enough" then I quit . The clock and the
      instructions should be seen as "guides" and not as
      instructions "cast in stone".

      I have been advised that the Meditation "NadBrahma" is quite
      effective as well, though certainly "tamer" and less
      strenuous than the other two I've tried....and I look
      forward to experimenting with that one.

      One thing I really like about the Nataraj is that along with
      'opening' channels, it can give you quite an aerobic
      workout, calms the mind considerably and yet....the
      movements are always new...fresh,
      unexpected....unorchestrated....really "now".

      MELODY QUOTES OSHO

      "The methods of the Bauls are very simple. They say that if
      you can dance, many blocks will disappear from your being --
      because when a person dances and really moves into dance,
      and becomes movement, then he becomes liquid. Have you not
      seen it? If you have seen somebody lost in dancing, can't
      you see it? that he is no longer solid? He is flowing.
      The solidity is gone; he has become liquid. This liquidity
      melts the blocks. So dancing is the Yoga of the Baul; he
      dances for hours together. When the moon is in the sky in
      the night, the Bauls will dance the whole night -- because
      for them the moon is a symbol of their Beloved, Krishna.
      They call Krishna "the moon". When the moon is there they
      will dance, and they will dance madly. And this dance is
      not a performance. It is not for somebody else to see. If
      somebody sees it and watches, that's another thing." ~ Osho

      GENE POOLE

      Why do we do this thing of wearing masks? Why do we not
      simply expand into our own potential, have our desired
      reality, and the 'devil take the hindmost'? What do we
      gain, by playing such richly textured and complex games with
      ourselves and each-other? What is the payoff? Why, the
      payoff is 'safety', of course... as provided by the
      programme of the machine, which ignores this moment, to
      connect yesterday to tomorrow. Like trolls, we hide in the
      dark under this 'bridge', and become the very force which we
      fear; we become the very threat, to which the machine is
      programmed to respond. Now, is this whole thing a racket,
      or what?
      TONY O'CLERY

      We move from thinking we are our own thought, to realising
      we are God's thought and eventually we realise there was no
      thought at all. This I believe is the end result of the
      teachings.If you are a Human Animal you can do all the
      things that animals do-mate,eat,sleep,defend whatever.If you
      are an Aspiring Human Being you have to change yourself from
      an animal.You have to take on Ahimsa,not killing an animal
      to eat its meat.

      Human Beings are like a flower,a flower bursts into creation
      and it gets to a certain point,at the end of the day when it
      closes its petals and it goes back in again.Human Beings are
      the same,not every flower bursts into creation and comes
      back in at the same time.Some close earlier some close
      later,the person still coming out into manifestation,they
      are more likely to be a Human Animal.If they have decided to
      close in the petals and come back;whereas they are more
      likely to be an aspiring Human Being.

      NONDUALITY SALON
      Website
      http://www.nonduality.com