#2862 - Wednesday, July 4, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2007
      #2862 - Wednesday, July 4, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality: http://tinyurl.com/2blmhy

      Somewhere in this process, you will come face
      to face with the sudden and shocking realization
      that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a
      shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels
      barreling pell-mell down the hill, utterly out of
      control and hopeless. No problem. You are not
      crazier than you were yesterday. You also are no
      crazier than anybody else around you. The real
      difference is that you have confronted the
      situation; they have not. So they still feel
      relatively comfortable. This does not mean that
      they are better off. Ignorance may be bliss, but
      it does not lead to Liberation. So don't let this
      realization unsettle you. It is a milestone
      actually, a sign of real progress. The very fact
      that you have looked at the problem straight in
      the eye means that you are on your way up and
      out of it.

      --Henepola Guanaratana

      Mukti or liberation is our nature.  It is another
      name for us. Our wanting mukti is a very funny
      thing.  It is like a man who is in the shade,
      voluntarily leaving the shade, going into the sun,
      feeling the severity of the heat there, making
      great efforts to get back to the shade and then
      rejoicing, "How sweet is the shade! I have reached
      the shade at last!"  We are all doing exactly the
      same.  We are not different from the reality.  We
      imagine we are different, that is we create the
      bheda bhava [the feeling of difference] and then
      undergo great sadhana [spiritual practices] to get
      rid of the bheda bhava and realise the oneness.  Why
      imagine or create bheda bhava and then destroy it?

                                   --Sri Ramana Maharshi

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      "Be As You Are"
      The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
      edited by David Godman
      posted to AlongTheWay

      "'One day I will be free of the ego.'
      Who is talking?  The ego.
      To become free of the ego is not really
      a big job but a very small one.  All you
      need to do is be aware of your thoughts
      and emotions - as they happen.
      .
      This is not really a 'doing,' but an alert
      'seeing.'  In that sense, it is true that there
      is nothing you can do to become free of
      the ego.  When that shift happens, which
      is the shift from thinking to awareness, an
      intelligence far greater than the ego's
      cleverness begins to operate in your life."

      --Eckhart Tolle

      From the book "A New Earth"
      posted to Daily Dharma

      The aspirant who frequently measures how far
      he has advanced, or retrograded, upon this path,
      or how long he has stood still, is seeking
      something to be gained for himself, is looking all
      the time at himself. He is measuring the ego
      instead of trying to transcend it altogether. He
      is clinging to self, instead of obeying Jesus'
      injunction to deny it. Looking at the ego, he
      unwittingly stands with his back to the Overself.
      If he is ever to become enlightened, he must
      turn round, cease this endless
      self-measurement, stop fussing over little steps
      forward or backward, let all thoughts about his
      own backwardness or greatness cease, and look
      directly at the goal itself.

      — Notebooks of Paul Brunton
      posted to Wisdom-l

      46. Awareness of Being is Bliss

      "That which you are, your true self, you love it,
      and whatever you do, you do for your own
      happiness. To find it, to know it, to cherish it is
      your basic urge. Since time immemorial you loved
      yourself, but never wisely. Use your body and
      mind wisely in the service of the self, that is all.
      Be true to your own self, love your self
      absolutely. Do not pretend that you love others
      as yourself. Unless you have realized them as
      one with yourself, you cannot love them. Don't
      pretend to be what you are not, don't refuse to
      be what you are. Your love of others is the
      result of self-knowledge, not its cause. Without
      self-realization, no virtue is genuine. When you
      know beyond all doubting that the same life
      flows through all that is and you are that life,
      you will love all naturally and spontaneously.
      When you realize the depth and fullness of your
      love of yourself, you know that every living being
      and the entire universe are included in your
      affection. But when you look at anything as
      separate from you, you cannot love it for you
      are afraid of it. Alienation causes fear and fear
      deepens alienation. It is a vicious circle. Only
      self-realization can break it. Go for it
      resolutely."

      --Nisargardatta,  from I Am That
      posted to Wisdom-l

       Fire goes where there's fuel.

      Truth - the tip of the flame --
      where coming and going coincide,
      birthing and dying are simultaneous,
      never static, ultimately ungraspable.

      We say we want Truth, but resist
      enduring the burning away
      of what is not Truth.

      Fire of Truth eats what's not true -
      the false is the fuel.

      Am I willing to allow love's burning now?

      In each encounter, relationship, moment?

      The past only applies to who I am not -
      the one identified as "me".

      Only that which appears to be other than
      our Essential Nature gets consumed.

      Essential Nature is
      the fireplace, the fire, the fuel.

      The caterpillar cannot understand the
      butterfly, nor kindling the flame.

      What is Awake is Awake in
      dark as well as light.

      It is the light within both, the light
      in which both arise.

      True freedom is this awake, aware space
      in the midst of all life.

      It cannot be defined
      in opposition to bondage.

      It is as free in bondage
      as it is in liberation.

      It is enlightenment
      even from enlightenment.

      Without Love there is no Truth.
      Without Truth there is no Love.

      Love transcends any sense
      of its own absence.

      Refuse to disconnect from love!

      This Love is indiscriminate -
      it loves saints and sinners equally.

      It doesn't fall in and out.

      A deep and simple recognition,
      meeting itself in all arising,
      in every pair of eyes.

      When we sever the conscious connection
      from the heart of Love, which is
      the unspoken, we begin to lie.

      The lie is the core story of separation,
      infinitely modified as the forms
      of our suffering.

      Love is always pre-existing.

      We must disconnect in order to maintain
      the image of being a separate self.

      Fear of this love is the only fear
      greater than fear of death.

      This is the love of seeing God
      wearing all the masks.

      Without being anchored in this Love,
      Truth becomes an abstraction.

      This intimate connection with all beings, with
      life itself, transcends and yet lives within the
      opposites, the paradoxes, of experience and
      perception.

      It has no opposite itself.

      It is non-exclusive -
      even of other flavors of Love.

      It is within all, but not limited to them.

      It is the only thing that can really be
      transformative in relationship to life & the
      world.

      This Love makes friends with the mind. It's
      important to make friends with the mind.
      Otherwise, one sets oneself up for the
      slaughter.

      In such a friendship, mind itself is finally
      realized to be love all along.

      This love was never meant to be contained -
      it is uncontainable.

      When we say we cannot contain it, what
      says so is that which will be consumed by it.

      All positions are position in mind -
      Love/Truth has no position.

      There is no need to make sense of it all.

      We are surrender -

      the verb (surrender) is the description
      of what we are, when we recognize
      ourselves as love.

      The energy of attention can go
      into thought or into silence.

      When thought appears, this energy
      can be escorted into silence -

      this love.

      Love is God's Escort Service.

      All beautiful beings love you!

      The joy is to share joy, to love our loving, to
      pour out like sweet rain on this dusty rock of a
      world, to witness ourselves blossom and unfold
      in glory, and wither and pass away like leaves,
      and feel the unbearable beauty of it all, and
      praise and go silent in awe and majesty.

      LoveAlways
      Bob O'Hearn

      Alan Larus Photos, "Pages"