#2854 - Monday, June 25, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25 9:43 PM

      #2854 - Monday, June 25, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality: http://tinyurl.com/2blmhy

      "You must first remember yourself in order to make
      things right, after which you can forget yourself to
      make things easy."

      --Vernon Howard

      "... in Buddhism we're not that interested in talking
      about the Buddha himself. Nor was he; he wasn't
      interested in people believing in him, so to this day
      Buddhism has never encouraged its followers simply
      to believe in the Buddha. We have always been more
      interested in understanding human psychology, the
      nature of the mind. Thus, Buddhist practitioners
      always try to understand their own mental attitudes,
      concepts, perceptions and consciousness. Those are
      the things that really matter."

      --Lama Yeshe
      posted to DailyDharma

      One finds that no matter how sincere one's
      intention to be attentive and aware, the mind rebels
      against such instructions and races off to indulge in
      all manner of distractions, memories and fantasies. .
      . . The comforting illusion of personal coherence and
      continuity is ripped away to expose only fragmentary
      islands of consciousness separated by yawning gulfs
      of unawareness. . . . The first step in this practice of
      mindful awareness is radical self-acceptance. Such
      self-acceptance, however, does not operate in an
      ethical vacuum, where no moral assessment is made
      of one's emotional states. The training in mindful
      awareness is part of a Buddhist path with values and
      goals. Emotional states are evaluated according to
      whether they increase or decrease the potential for
      suffering. If an emotion, such as hatred or envy, is
      judged to be destructive, then it is simply
      recognized as such. It is neither expressed through
      violent thoughts, words, or deeds, nor is it
      suppressed or denied as incompatible with a
      "spiritual" life. In seeing it for what it is--a transient
      emotional state--one mindfully observes it follow its
      own nature: to arise, abide for a while, and then pass
      away.

      --Stephen Batchelor

      We tend to be particularly unaware that we are
      thinking virtually all the time. The incessant stream
      of thoughts flowing through our minds leaves us very
      little respite for inner quiet. And we leave precious
      little room for ourselves anyway just to be, without
      having to run around doing things all the time. Our
      actions are all too frequently driven rather than
      undertaken in awareness, driven by those perfectly
      ordinary thoughts and impulses that run through the
      mind like a coursing river, if not a waterfall. We get
      caught up in the torrent and it winds up submerging
      our lives as it carries us to places we may not wish to
      go and may not even realize we are headed for.
      Meditation means learning how to get out of this
      current, sit by its bank and listen to it, learn from it,
      and then use its energies to guide us rather than to
      tyrannize us. This process doesn't magically happen
      by itself. It takes energy. We call the effort to
      cultivate our ability to be in the present moment
      "practice" or "meditation practice."

      --Jon Kabat-Zinn

      The Lord is in Me

      By Kabir
      (15th Century)

      English version by Andrew Harvey

      The Lord is in me, and the Lord is in you,
      As life is hidden in every seed.
      So rubble your pride, my friend,
      And look for Him within you.

      When I sit in the heart of His world
      A million suns blaze with light,
      A burning blue sea spreads across the sky,
      Life's turmoil falls quiet,
      All the stains of suffering wash away.

      Listen to the unstruck bells and drums!
      Love is here; plunge into its rapture!
      Rains pour down without water;
      Rivers are streams of light.

      How could I ever express
      How blessed I feel
      To revel in such vast ecstasy
      In my own body?

      This is the music
      Of soul and soul meeting.
      Of the forgetting of all grief.
      This is the music
      That transcends all coming and going.

      -- from Perfume of the Desert: Inspirations from the Sufi Wisdom, by Andrew Harvey / Eryk Hanut

       Alan Larus,  photos with the poem

      http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/shores/consumed.htm

      CONSUMED IN GRACE

      I first saw God when I was a child, six years of age.
      the cheeks of the sun were pale before Him,
      and the earth acted as a shy
      girl, like me.

      Divine light entered my heart from His love
      that did never fully wane,

      though indeed, dear, I can understand how a person's
      faith can at time flicker,

      for what is the mind to do
      with something that becomes the mind's ruin:
      a God that consumes us
      in His grace.

      I have seen what you want;
      it is there,