#2840 - Monday, June 11, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2007

      #2840 - Monday, June 11, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      To listen is to continually give up all expectation
      and to give our attention, completely and freshly,
      to what is before us, not really knowing what we
      will hear or what that will mean. In the practice of
      our days, to listen is to lean in, softly, with a
      willingness to be changed by what we hear.

      --Mark Nepo
      posted by Steve Toth

      Metta
      by Ajahn Sumedho

      Metta is very much how we should relate to
      ourselves, too. It's how to relate to ourselves,
      with kindness and acceptance rather than with
      aversion and judgement. Metta implies that we
      accept something that may not be very nice - like if
      you have physical pain or things that aren't very
      nice about your body, or your character. Maybe
      you have a lot of fears or bad temper, or
      something like that. If you have metta it means you
      can accept these for what they are. You're not
      judging it, condemning it from an ignorant,
      self-conscious position. You're aware of it as
      painful, unpleasant, or ugly - but metta practice is
      the ability to accept patiently the flaws, the pain,
      the irritations, and frustrations within our minds
      and bodies and the unpleasant and annoying things
      that impinge on them from outside.

      This is because with metta such things are seen as
      no longer personal, there's not me and you, no
      'you've done this to me...' or 'I've done this to
      you.' Metta is having perspective and not creating a
      problem even about the unfairnesses, injustices,
      inadequacies and so forth, of ourselves or others
      or of society. It doesn't mean that we don't
      notice, or we can't see; but it means we don't
      make problems about it, we don't carry it around in
      our minds with bitterness, resentment, anger and
      destructive tendencies. With metta there's always
      the ability to forgive and start anew and to
      recognise the way things are and not expect
      everything to fit the ideals we have regarding how
      things should be. It doesn't mean that we
      fatalistically resign ourselves to mediocrity and
      tyranny and stupidity, but it means that we aren't
      caught in the pattern of ignorance's conditioning
      mind formations. So we can bear with the
      vicissitudes of life with a kindness and acceptance.

      http://www.amaravati.org/abm/english/documents/the_way_it_is/24std.html

      ---
      Gill Eardley on Allspirit

      "To pray is to pay attention to something or
      someone other than oneself. Whenever a man so
      concentrates his attention -- on a landscape, a
      poem, a geometrical problem, an idol, or the True
      God -- that he completely forgets his own ego and
      desires, he is praying. The primary task of the
      schoolteacher is to teach children, in a secular
      context, the technique of prayer."

       --W. H. Auden

      Everything comes in pairs as death with life and
      darkness with light. Whatever seems to be
      necessary to existence is so only because its
      opposite is equally necessary. Duality is a governing
      factor of the world and everything within it
      including ourselves. That alone is outside the world,
      is nondual, which is the untouchable Reality. This is
      the Chinese idea of yin and yang, and the Bhagavad
      Gita's expression "the pairs of opposites" conveys
      the same idea. Duality is a fact. It is here. But it is
      also an illusion and the opposite truth which
      completes it is the nondual. We may deplore the
      illusory nature of our existence, but we need not
      get lost in it for it is fulfilled, completed, and
      finalized in its complement the Real.

      --Paul Brunton, Notebooks
      Mark Scorelle to Wisdom-l

      To attach oneself to a guru, an avatar, one religion,
      one creed, is to see the stars only. To put one's
      faith in the Infinite Being and in its presence within
      the heart, is to see the vast empty sky itself. The
      stars will come and go, will disintegrate and vanish,
      but the sky remains.

      --Paul Brunton, Notebooks
      Mark Scorelle to Wisdom-l