#2832 - Sunday, June 3, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2007
      #2832 - Sunday, June 3, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      So you've cut up your hide and stretched it,
      pegged it down to dry with definite,
      sharp-pointed desires,

      but have you planted any fruit trees
      for the next generation?

      Wisdom offered you is like a ball
      thrown at a boundary post,

      useless as molasses fed to a tawny bull
      to help it give more milk!

      - Lalla
         14th Century North Indian mystic

      From "Naked Song"
      Versions by Coleman Barks
      posted to AlongTheWay

      "Dear Eckhart"

      Question:  What do we experience when we connect with our real self?  How does that experience change the way we live our own life?

      Answer:  You no longer create suffering for yourself.  Anger, resentment, regret, grievances, anxiety, guilt, etc, which are all inseparable from the egoic state of consciousness, no longer arise.  And when you no longer create suffering for yourself, you no longer create suffering for others.  You have deep empathy, not only with other human beings, but also with nature and all life forms.  You see all life forms as manifestations of the one formless and eternal Life, which is what you are in essence, and you can sense that essence not only in yourself, but in all beings.  In other words, everywhere you encounter yourself.

      Question:  Wouldn't it be more encouraging to set one's goals and try to fulfill them?  That could also give us a strong purpose in life…  What is the difference between the two approaches?

      Answer:  There's nothing wrong with goals and trying to fulfill them – as long as the main focal point of your attention remains the present moment.  It's like being on a journey and knowing where you want to get to, but realizing at the same time that the entire journey ultimately consists of one step – the step you're taking at this moment.  That one step is all there ever is, and so you give it your fullest attention.  In other words, the step you're taking now is primary, the destination – the goal – is secondary.  If the destination becomes primary, you will become stressed and anxious and you will miss life.  You will suffer, and the destination will not make you happy even when you get there, when you attain your goals.

      from Eckhart Tolle's newsletter
      posted to TheNow_2

      500 Years of Female Portraits in Western Art