#2830 - Friday, June 1, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2007
      #2830 - Friday, June 1, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      "One: Essential Writings on Nonduality": http://nonduality.com/one.htm. A collection of hard to find nondual writings from different traditions. Includes a brand new compilation by David Godman of the writings of Ramana Maharshi.

      Nondual Christianity with a little Buddhism. Have a nice weekend.

      From: "Eric Chaffee"

      Subject: Coming to the end of self

      Here's an item by a good friend who found his way (via
      nonduality.com) to a group I participate with, weekly.
      Thanks, Wil, for sharing the thoughts in this message.
      ~eric.

      [Bible verse]:

      The fact is, I know of nothing good living in me – living,
      that is, in my unspiritual self – for though the will to do
      good is in me, the performance is not, with the result that
      instead of doing the good things that I want to do, I carry
      out the sinful things I do not want.
      - The Apostle Paul
      To the Romans (7:18, 19) (The Jerusalem Bible, Reader’s
      Edition)

      Most Saturdays, I have the great privilege of attending a
      weekly early morning Bible study at a farm outside Buffalo,
      NY. Eric, our moderator, who has been a faithful participant
      for many years, originally invited me. This is a small group
      of men from a rather wide variety of denominational and
      occupational backgrounds with a very real – and, sometimes,
      radical - commitment to Christ. We gather to read a chapter of
      Scripture at a time, reading a verse at a time by turns around
      the table, after which we discuss it, pray about it, maybe
      sing a chorus or a hymn, and then go on to another one, if we
      have time. This has been one of the most intense and most
      edifying spiritual exercises in which I’ve ever taken part.

      A few weeks ago, we spent time in Romans 7 and 8. After
      reading chapter 7, we had taken up the above verses for a few
      minutes, when Eric asked, “Who’s the doer?”. “Who’s the
      doer!”, I exclaimed. “That’s a Buddhist question!” “That’s an
      Eric question”, he responded. [see note, below] I wanted to
      follow this train of thought for a few minutes, but, as most
      of the members are evangelicals, we quickly followed the
      well-worn, but still fruitful, train of discussion about the
      man of sin versus the man of faith. I couldn’t shake the
      question, though; If the doing is not what I want, then who is
      doing it?

      This was still in the back of my mind when another regular
      attendee, the son of the farmhouse owner, Philip, said, “You
      know, I’ve discovered that when I sin, it’s because I want to
      know something. Is that whatever-it-is as good as they say or
      as fun as they say? I just want to know.” I commented that he
      was underscoring the fact that the forbidden fruit in the
      Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:15-17; 3:1-19) was called the tree
      of the knowledge of good and evil. The rest of the group was
      off and running on this idea, but I was stuck with a new
      question: Who wants to know?

      These two questions - Who is the doer? Who wants to know? -
      have been chasing each other around the back of my mind off
      and on since then. As I already called the first one a
      Buddhist question, I can’t help connecting these questions to
      a simple Buddhist mindfulness exercise. Beginners are taught
      to just sit quietly, breath quietly and regularly and watch
      their thoughts. Don’t do anything with them. Just let them
      blow across your mind like clouds in the sky. Then consider:
      Who is sitting? Who is breathing? Who is thinking the
      thoughts? But if you’re thinking the thoughts, how can you be
      watching the thoughts? How can you watch yourself think? You
      are obviously not your body, you are not your breathing, you
      are not your mind, you are not your emotions. You just have
      them. Or do you? Or are you?

      The purpose is to come to the end of ourselves, to recognize
      the unity of all things. In Romans 7, Paul shows how he came
      to the end of himself. He continues (verses 20-24):

      When I act against my will, then, it is not my true self doing
      it, but sin which lives in me. In fact, it seems to be the
      rule, that every single time I want to do good it is something
      evil that comes to hand. In my inmost self I dearly love God’s
      Law, but I can see that my body follows a different law that
      battles against the law which my reason dictates. This is what
      makes me a prisoner of that law of sin which lives inside my
      body. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this
      body doomed to death?

      Echoing the first two of the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism
      (see, for example,
      http://www.buddhamind.info/leftside/under/buddha/4truths.htm),
      Paul recognizes his suffering and sees his
      conflicting desires as the cause of his suffering, but his
      solution to the end of self is not Buddhist at all: “Thanks be
      to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! . . . (T)he law of the
      spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law
      of sin and death.” (7:25; 8:2).

      The doer is this false sense of self we all have, which, if we
      succumb to it, will cause us to sleep the sleep of death.
      However, “there is no necessity for us to obey our unspiritual
      selves or to live unspiritual lives. If you live in that way,
      you are doomed to die; but if by the Spirit you put an end to
      the misdeeds of the body you will live” (8:12, 13).

      And if we will live, we will rise in glory (8:17) and all of
      creation with us. Nothing “in this life can (e)ver be compared
      to the glory as yet unrevealed”, Paul continues (Romans 8:
      18):

      The whole creation is eagerly waiting for God to reveal His
      (children) . . . . (C)reation still retains the hope of being
      freed, like us, from its slavery to decadence, to enjoy the
      same freedom and glory as the children of God. (8:18, 20b,
      21).

      So, there’s the answer: The doer is no one to whom we should
      pay attention! The one who wants to know is not the One Who
      knows all things! If we will come to the end of ourselves in
      Him, in Christ, we will find an end to our suffering, the
      suffering of our little “s” selves. We will truly be children
      of God. “And if we are children we are heirs as well: heirs of
      God and coheirs with Christ . . . “ (8:17). Then, not just we,
      but all of creation, will come through Christ to that freedom,
      glory and unity which was in God before ever the world was
      (John 17: 5).

      And so it is!

      NB: Eric then immediately amended his comment to remark that
      the question was first a 'Paul-question' as Paul asks 'who
      shall deliver me from [doing that which I don't want to be
      doing]?'