#2821 - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2007

      #2821 - Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality http://nonduality.com/one.htm

      Nondual Highlights

      "The Breath Inside the Breath" is this issue's theme.

      "This aloneness is worth more than a thousand lives.
      This freedom is worth more than all the lands on earth.
      To be one with the truth for just a moment,
      Is worth more than the world and life itself."

      ~ Rumi

      "There is a life-force within your soul, seek that life.
      There is a gem in the mountain of your body, seek that mine.
      O traveler, if you are in search of That
      Don't look outside, look inside yourself and seek That."

      ~ Rumi

      Mazie Lane on GardenMystics

      When you awaken to truth as it really is, you will have no occult
      vision, you will have no "astral" experience, no ravishing ecstasy.
      You will awaken to it in a state of utter stillness, and you will
      realize that truth was always there within you and that reality was
      always there around you. Truth is not something which has grown and
      developed through your efforts. It is not something which has been
      achieved or attained by laboriously adding up those efforts. It is not
      something which has to be made more and more perfect each year. And
      once your mental eyes are opened to truth they can never be closed
      again.
      ~ Paul Brunton, Notebooks

      Mark Scorelle on Wisdom-l

      Just Now

      In the morning as the storm begins to blow away
      the clear sky appears for a moment and it seems to me
      that there has been something simpler than I could ever
      believe
      simpler than I could have begun to find words for
      not patient not even waiting no more hidden
      than the air itself that became part of me for a while
      with every breath and remained with me unnoticed
      something that was here unnamed unknown in the days
      and the nights not separate from them
      not separate from them as they came and were gone
      it must have been here neither early nor late then
      by what name can I address it now holding out my thanks

      ~ W.S. Merwin

      (The Pupil)

      Are you looking for me? I am in the next seat.
      My shoulder is against yours.
      you will not find me in the stupas, not in Indian shrine
      rooms, nor in synagogues, nor in cathedrals:
      not in masses, nor kirtans, not in legs winding
      around your own neck, nor in eating nothing but vegetables.
      When you really look for me, you will see me instantly —
      you will find me in the tiniest house of time.
      Kabir says: Student, tell me, what is God?
      He is the breath inside the breath

      ~ Kabir

      Ah, what is that phrase . . . "the ties that bind"?
      So Jesus says, leave it all and come and follow me.
      Well, where was he off to in such a hurry anyway?
      Then you got Gautama the Buddha, who left his wife
      and newborn baby to wander around out in the woods,
      and Ramana, who jumped the next train out of town
      after his famous nap, and sure the list goes on,
      all because folks thought it was elsewhere, over
      the rainbow somewhere, up on a mountain or
      out in the desert, and I sure did too, left home
      at 13 to seek God and, well, we all have our destinies,
      yes, but consider for a moment: if it's all one,
      then it really is all one, and so where is there to go
      that is any different than where we are right now?
      Furthermore, and excuse me, but where is 'that' exactly?
      We don't even know where we are right now, what we are,
      who we are, what anything is, and so where's everybody going?
      We're not tethered to the world, we are the world, but
      the world is not us, nothing that we can think or know
      or name is us, and if somebody just sat down and
      let that sink in -- their true condition in the midst
      of all possible worlds -- they wouldn't be in such a rush
      to run off chasing their tail, or at least that's how
      it seems to me on Wednesday morning. It's a little overcast
      here today, Mazie's got to spray the roses for mildew, and
      I've got to clean out the grill gas tubes before going to work.

      LoveAlways
      Bob O'Hearn on GardenMystics

      Marifa sent this from DzogchenPractice

      The Buddha and The Goddess

      Thus have I made up:

      Once the Buddha was walking
      along the forest path in the Oak Grove at Ojai,
      walking without arriving anywhere or having any
      thought of arriving or not arriving.
      And lotuses, shining with the morning dew
      miraculously appeared under every step
      Soft as silk beneath the toes of the Buddha.
      When suddenly, out of the turquoise sky,
      dancing in front of his half-shut inward-looking
      eyes, shimmering like a rainbow
      or a spider's web
      transparent as the dew on a lotus flower
      -- the Goddess appeared quivering
      like a hummingbird in the air before him.

      She, for she was surely a she
      as the Buddha could clearly see
      with his eye of discriminating awareness wisdom, was mostly red in color
      though when the light shifted
      she flashed like a rainbow.
      She was naked except
      for the usual flower ornaments
      goddesses wear.
      Her long hair
      was deep blue, her eyes fathomless pits
      of space, and her third eye a bloodshot
      song of fire.

      The Buddha folded his hands together
      and greeted the Goddess thus:
      "O goddess, why are you blocking my path?
      Before I saw you I was happily going nowhere.
      Now I'm not so sure where I go."
      "You can go around me,"
      said the Goddess, twirling on her heel like a bird
      darting away,
      but just a little way away,
      "or you can come after me
      but you can't pretend I'm not here,
      This is my forest, too."

      With that the Buddha sat
      supple as a snake
      solid as a rock
      beneath a Bo tree
      that sprang full-leaved
      to shade him.
      "Perhaps we should have a chat,"
      he said.
      "After years of arduous practice
      at the time of the morning star
      I penetrated reality and…"
      "Not so fast, Buddha," the Goddess said,
      "I am reality."

      The earth stood still,
      the oceans paused,
      the wind itself listened
      -- a thousand arhats, bodhisattvas and dakinis
      magically appeared to hear
      what would happen in the conversation.
      "I know I take my life in my hands,"
      said the Buddha,
      "But I am known as the Fearless One -- so here goes."
      And he and the Goddess
      without further words
      exchanged glances.
      Light rays like sun beams
      shot forth
      so brightly that even
      Sariputra, the All-Seeing One,
      had to turn away.
      And then they exchanged thoughts
      And the illumination was as bright as a diamond candle
      And then they exchanged minds
      And there was a great silence as vast as the universe that contains everything
      And then they exchanged bodies
      And then clothes
      And the Buddha arose
      as the Goddess
      and the Goddess arose as the Buddha.
      And so on back and forth
      for a hundred thousand hundred thousand kalpas.
      If you meet the Buddha
      you meet the Goddess.
      If you meet the Goddess,
      you meet the Buddha.
      Not only that. This:
      The Buddha is emptiness,
      The Goddess is bliss.
      The Goddess is emptiness,
      The Buddha is bliss.
      And that is what
      And what-not you are
      It's true.

      So here comes the mantra of the Goddess and the Buddha,
      the unsurpassed non-dual mantra. Just to say this mantra,
      just to hear this mantra once, just to hear one word of this mantra
      once makes everything the way it truly is: OK.

      So here it is:
      Earth-walker/ sky-walker
      Hey silent one, Hey great talker
      Not two/ not one
      Not separate/ not apart
      This is the heart
      Bliss is emptiness
      Emptiness is bliss
      Be your breath, Ah
      Smile, Hey, And relax, Ho
      Remember: You can't miss.

      - Rick Fields, May 1987: The Very Short Sutra on the Meeting of the Buddha and the Goddess.