#2817 - Friday, May 18, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2007

      #2817 - Friday, May 18, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality: http://nonduality.com/one.htm

      We reached the town of Fusa on the banks of the River Tone towards nightfall. The fishermen of this town catch salmon by spreading wickerwork traps in the river, and sell it in the markets in Edo. We went into one of the fishermen's huts and had a short sleep amidst the fishy smell. Upon waking, however, we hired a boat, and, descending the river under the bright beams of the moon, arrived at Kashima Shrine.

      On the following day it started to rain in the afternoon, and in no way could we see the rise of the full moon. I was told that the former priest of the Kimponji Temple was living in seclusion at the foot of the hill where the shrine was situated. So I went to see him, and was granted a night's shelter. The tranquility of the priest's hermitage was such that it inspired, in the words of the ancient poet, 'a profound sense of meditation' in my heart, and for a while at least I was able to forget the fretful feeling I had about not being able to see the full moon. Shortly before daybreak, however, the moon began to shine through the rifts made in the hanging clouds. I immediately wakened the priest, and other members of the household followed him out of bed. We sat for a long time in utter silence, watching the moonlight trying to penetrate the clouds and listening to the sound of the lingering rain. It was really regrettable that I had come such a long way only to look at the dark shadow of the moon, but I consoled myself by remembering the famous lady who had returned without composing a single poem from the long walk she had taken to hear a cuckoo. The following are the poems we composed on this occasion:

      Regardless of weather,
      The moon shines the same;
      It is the drifting clouds
      That make it seem different
      On different nights.

      --Written by the priest

      Swift the moon
      Across the sky,
      Treetops below
      Dripping with rain.

      --Written by Tosei

      Having slept
      In a temple,
      I watched the moon
      With a solemn look.

      --Written by Tosei

      Having slept
      In the rain,
      The bamboo corrected itself
      To view the moon.

      --Written by Sora

      How lonely it is
      To look at the moon
      Hearing in a temple
      Eavesdrops pattering.

      --Written by Soha

      ~ ~ ~

      from A Visit to the Kashima Shrine, by Basho, a chapetr in "The Narrow Road to the Deep North":