#2815 - Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2007

      #2815 - Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality http://nonduality.com/one.htm

      Nondual Highlights

      God connected Spirit with a body,
      in order that the prophet or saint might
      become a refuge for the whole world.

                     - Rumi

      Friend, whatever you are, you must not stand still:

      By Angelus Silesius
      (1624 - 1677)

      English version by Gabriel Rosenstock

      Friend, whatever you are, you must not stand still:
      One must from one light into the other spill

      Angelus Silesius is the monastic name of Johannes Scheffler. Johannes Scheffler was born into a noble Polish Lutheran family. He received a doctorate in philosophy at the University of Padua and became a physician.

      As a young man he was drawn to the writings of the German mystic Jacob Boehme. Scheffler's growing mysticism didn't sit well with the dogmatic forms of German Lutheranism of the time and, in 1653, he converted to Catholicism. He took the name Angelus, adding the surname Silesius, meaning "from Silesia."

      During this time, Selisius was briefly named physician to Emperor Ferdinand III, but he soon renounced his profession and, in 1661, he was ordained a priest and retired to a monastic life in Breslau. He gave his family fortune away to charities.

      He published two books of poetry: The Soul's Spiritual Delight and The Cherubic Pilgrim. Several of his poems are today used as religious hymns in both Catholic and Protestant churches.

      Angelus Silesius was often engaged in public controversy with both the Lutheran Church he had left and also with his adopted Catholic faith. His poetry hinted at a quietest mysticism which asserts that the soul, when it is quiet, can experience God directly -- a practice neither institution has been too fond of.

      ...One must from one light into the other spill

      Ivan

      Poetry Chaikhana Home

      The world is not the illusion.

      It's you who are the illusion.

      Who you are is the context that the entire world
      is happening in.

      As long as you are in the body, however, you
      won't be waking up from the illusion.

      You'll only be waking up to the illusion.

      Even after you've discovered that it's only
      illusory, the mirage of a desert lake still looks
      just like a real lake.

                                     - Chuck Hillig, Seeds for the Soul

      Alan Larus photos, more at link.

      The Buddhist path is designed to reveal deeper levels of reality. We live in a pluralistic society. We live in a racist society, a homophobic and sexist society; in addition, Buddhists of every color, each gender, and all sexual orientations embrace the sectarian prejudices that developed in Asia. We live in a society that is pleading for us to put our shoulders to the wheel.

      We are also, each and every one of us, whole and perfect as is, interrelated, essentially non-separated, and equal. This, too, must be realized. If we forsake the inside for the outside, it is not just Buddhism that is diminished but the horizons for true social transformation as well.

      -Helen Tworkov, Tricycle: The Buddhist Review, Vol. IV, #1 From Everyday Mind, a Tricycle book edited by Jean Smith

      The Single Word of Heart Advice

      Bob O'Hearn - A montage of photo and text, click from one photo to next.