#2813 - Monday, May 14, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2007

      #2813 - Monday, May 14, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality: http://nonduality.com/one.htm

      On the tip of my tongue

      ( This praise turning ripe,
      bursting in spring )

      is silence alone.
      --Alan Larus

      photos:

      "A lamp dispels the darkness
      accumulated over a thousand ages.
      In the same way,
      the one clear light of one's consciousness
      dispels the darkness and obstacles
      of ignorance accumulated over the ages."

      -- Tilopa

      From the book "Mahamudra and Atiyoga"
      by Giuseppe Baroetto

      To find a Buddha, you have to see your nature. Whoever sees his nature is a Buddha. If you don't see your nature, invoking Buddhas, reciting sutras, making offerings, and keeping precepts are all useless. Invoking Buddhas results in good karma, reciting sutras results in a good memory; keeping precepts results in a good rebirth, and making offerings results in future blessings, but no Buddha.... To find a Buddha all you have to do is see your nature. Your nature is the Buddha. And the Buddha is the person who's free: free of plans, free of cares. If you don't see your nature and run around all day looking somewhere else, you'll never find a Buddha.

      --The Zen Teachings of Bodhidharma From Everyday Mind

      Talk as much philosophy as you like, worship as many gods as you please, observe ceremonies and sing devotional hymns, but liberation will never come, even after a hundred aeons, without realizing the Oneness.

      -Sankara

      from "The Wisdom of the Hindu Gurus," edited by Timothy Freke

      If you consider all the people you know who seem truly happy, there is likely to be one trait - one essential perspective on life - that each of these happy people share... It is the word now. It is the understanding that happiness exists at just one time. And that time is now.

      -- Willie Nelson
      From The Tao of Willie: A Guide to the Happiness in Your Heart

      wisdom-l@yahoogroups.com    Mark Scorelle

      Touching One Life at a Time

      We have recently enjoyed receiving letters from Fred in Florida, so we
      asked him if we could share some excerpts with you.. .

      January 5, 2004: Dear Open Gate Sangha, A couple of weeks ago I came
      across a guy in here who had a copy of the teachings of Adyashanti and
      I was able to read a few pages of it. The teachings struck a deep
      resounding chord within me...

      January 30: I've been a seeker for almost 19 of the 22 years that I've
      been incarcerated and I have never come across a teacher who speaks
      di­rectly to such a deep part of my being. The words of Adyashanti are
      most certainly alive with Truth which immediately resounds within the
      inner-most part of one's being. To say that I'm moved deeply by them
      would be a gross understatement. My heart tells me that I've finally,
      blessedly, found my way home.. .

      March 5: I've been doing some heavy inquiry into the Truth of that
      which we are. There is, of course, the contradictory sense that there
      is this "me" which feels itself to be separate. My question is, how
      does one break the habit of operating from this "me" and allow the
      Truth to "take over; so to speak? I see the illusion that the entire
      world is caught up in. I've had a taste and have fallen in love with
      my Self. Where do I go from here? .. .

      June 30: The last letter was written when I was about two weeks into
      doing 90 days in what is commonly called "the hole" (also known as
      soli­tary confinement). And although it was supposed to be a
      punishment (e.g., they take all of your possessions; sleeping on a
      steel bed; and being locked in 24 hours a day) it turned out to be
      quite a blessing for me. For the most part I was on retreat simply
      Be-ing. A calm, gentle spacious­ness came which I would sit with for
      hours on end. And the longer I sat in this wonderful Truth of who I am
      the deeper I seemed to go. I was really astonished at the nature I
      found within the Self. It wasn't something to attain and then hold on
      to, but something that is already there. One simply rests in That,
      letting everything go... We have a small sangha here (we average about
      six guys) and share our books among ourselves. Adya's teachings have
      played a central role.

      July 18: I was rather pleasantly surprised when I heard that my June
      30th letter was found to be inspiring. I'd never considered that any
      part of my life situation could be an inspiration. To me it simply is
      what it is with the important part being the attitude and awareness
      with which I choose to experience it all. This is especially true
      since I've become acquainted with the teachings of Adyashanti. I truly
      believe that I was ripe for Adya's teachings when they came my way.
      They speak to me like a voice from my own inner Self. The deeper I go
      into them the more it's as if I've always known these things.. .

      I've got 108 years and at present my parole date is set at 2032. So
      I'll probably be hanging out around here for a little longer.
      Occasionally it pains me deeply that I seem to have screwed my life up
      so badly, and did it at such a young age (18) but that's really all
      just "the story." My life hasn't stopped. I didn't stop growing,. and
      learning. My life is simply different from most folks, and my being
      busted not only (in all probability) saved me from destroying myself
      but it took away all of the distractions and set me firmly on the
      spiritual path. Because of that, and the fact that I've found answers
      in Adya's teachings I cannot count my life as a waste, even if I have
      to spend the rest of it in here. And if I can assist another in
      find­ing their own way to truth? That would be the ultimate
      satisfaction.

      May you all continue to experience the freedom, peace and love that
      you already are.

      Namaste,  Fred

      wisdom-l@yahoogroups.com  Mark Scorelle

      --- In allspirit@yahoogroups.com, Terry Murphy  wrote:

      from "The Way of Chuang Tzu" trans Merton... I have posted this piece
      more than any other single "teaching"... more than the hsinhsinming,
      more than dogen's  genjokoan (The Manifestation of Truth)... it's
      probably in the archives...

      *The Pivot*

      Tao is obscured when men understand only one of a pair of opposites,
      or concentrate only on a partial aspect of being.  Then clear
      expression also becomes muddled by mere wordplay, affirming this one
      aspect and destroying all the rest.

            Hence the wrangling of the Confucians and Mohists; each denies
      what the other affirms, and affirms what the other denies.  What use
      is this struggle to set up "No" against "Yes," and "Yes" against
      "No."  Better to abandon this hopeless effort and seek the true light!

            There is nothing that cannot be seen from the standpoint of the
      "Not-I."  And there is nothing which cannot be seen from the
      standpoint of the "I."  If I begin by looking at anything from the
      viewpoint of the "Not-I," then I do not really *see* it, since it is
      "not-I" that sees it.  If I begin from where I am and see it as I see
      it, then it may also become possible for me to see it as another sees
      it.  Hence the theory of reversal that opposites produce each other,
      depend on each other, and complement each other.

            However this may be, life is followed by death; death is
      followed by life.  The possible becomes impossible; the impossible
      becomes possible.  Right turns into wrong and wrong into right - the
      flow of life alters circumstances and thus things themselves are
      altered in their turn  But disputants continue to affirm and deny the
      same things they've always affirmed and denied, ignoring the new
      aspects of reality presented by the change in conditions.

            The wise man therefore, instead of trying to prove this or that
      point by logical disputation, sees all things in the light of direct
      intuition.  He is not imprisoned by the limitations of the "I," for
      the viewpoint of direct intuition is that of both "I" and "Not-I."
      Hence he sees that on both sides of every argument there is
      both right and wrong.  He also sees that in the end they are
      reducible to the same thing, once they are related to the pivot of
      the Tao.

            When the wise man grasps this pivot, he is in the center of the
      circle, and there he stands while "Yes" and "No" pursue themselves
      around the circumference.

            The pivot of the Tao passes through the center where all
      affirmations and denials converge.  He who grasps the pivot is at the
      still-point from which all movements and oppositions can be seen in
      their rightful relationship.  Hence he sees the limitless
      possibilities of both "Yes" and "No."  Abandoning all thought of
      imposing a limit or taking sides, he rests in direct
      intuition.  Therefore I said, "Better to abandon disputation and seek
      the true light!"