#2803 - Monday, April 30, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      #2803 - Monday, April 30, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality http://nonduality.com/one.htm

      Nondual Highlights

      "You talked about the first principle again,
      but I still don't know what it is," I said to Suzuki.
      "I don't know," he said, "is the first principle."
      --Shunryu Suzuki

      "Only in an open, nonjudgmental space can we acknowledge what we are
      feeling.  Only in an open space where we're not all caught up in our
      own version of reality can we see and hear and feel who others really
      are, which allows us to be with them and communicate with them
      compassionately."
       -- Pema Chodron

      From the book, "When Things Fall Apart," published by Shambhala.

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570621608/angelinc
      posted to Daily Dharma

      When a person has lived properly and acted generously,
      he grasps the way things are. He is not dependent on attachments;
      he is free from anger and aversions; what he does becomes perfect action.

      The pureness of perfectly balanced action based on seeing the way things are
      --this is freedom and the ending of ignorance.

      -Sutta Nipata

      From "The Pocket Buddha Reader," edited by Anne Bancroft

      At this moment, is there anything lacking?
      Nirvana is right here now before our eyes.
      This place is the lotus land.
      This body now is the Buddha.
      --Hakuin

      Looking for your own face

      By Farid ud-Din Attar
      (1119? - 1220?)

      English version by Coleman Barks

      Your face is neither infinite nor ephemeral.
      You can never see your own face,
      only a reflection, not the face itself.

      So you sigh in front of mirrors
      and cloud the surface.

      It's better to keep your breath cold.
      Hold it, like a diver does in the ocean.
      One slight movement, the mirror-image goes.

      Don't be dead or asleep or awake.
      Don't be anything.

      What you most want,
      what you travel around wishing to find,
      lose yourself as lovers lose themselves,
      and you'll be that.

      -- from The Hand of Poetry: Five Mystic Poets of Persia, with Lectures by Inayat Khan, Translated by Coleman Barks

      You can only understand what you are not. What you are, you can only be. What you are can never be an object.

      When there is no asking, there is prayer. When there is no meditator, there is meditation. When there is no lover, real love is.

      The timeless non-state cannot be achieved because the mind cannot evolve towards it. The mind can only bring you to the threshold.

      Awakening comes unexpectedly when you do not wait for it, when you live in not-knowing. Only then are you available. When understanding dissolves in being, there is sudden awakening.

      -- Jean Klein

      Mark Scorelle posted to Wisdom-l

      Bone

      1.

      Understand, I am always trying to figure out
      what the soul is,
      and where hidden,
      and what shape -
      and so, last week,
      when I found on the beach
      the ear bone
      of a pilot whale that may have died
      hundreds of years ago, I thought
      maybe I was close
      to discovering something -
      for the ear bone

      2.

      is the portion that lasts longest
      in any of us, man or whale; shaped
      like a squat spoon
      with a pink scoop where
      once, in the lively swimmer's head,
      it joined its two sisters
      in the house of hearing,
      it was only
      two inches long -
      and thought: the soul
      might be like this -
      so hard, so necessary -

      3.

      yet almost nothing.
      Beside me
      the gray sea
      was opening and shutting its wave-doors,
      unfolding over and over
      its time-ridiculing roar;
      I looked but I couldn't see anything
      through its dark-knit glare;