#2798 - Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2007
      #2798 - Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality http://nonduality.com/one.htm.

      Some really good posts from a variety of sources: original contributions, private emails, blogs, and Nonduality Salon.

      Yosy
      if you seek
      special illumination
      look upon a human face:
      see deeply
      within laughter
      the essence of the ultimate
      truth (jallal from balkh)

      it is better to bind a free man with love
      then to release
      a thousand slaves.

      nonduality is absence of concepts and ideas
      and facing whatever arises as it does
      with an inner smile and gratitude...

      "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times".
      "Tale Of Two Cities".  Charles Dickens

      So are the tales of every human thought process, including our own in
      the duality of life as it exists.  There is a clarity of synthesis
      that moves us beyond its separative experience into the unity of life
      itself.

      Life itself is the experience, we add the colours, the textures, the
      flavours, the sights and sounds depending on how we recreate our
      deepest selves: our visions complete with everything we have ever
      experienced, thought, seen, heard, felt, touched, smelled and then
      remembered.  And so it goes.

      And then we wake up.

      Peace,
      Anna

      The Table
      by Gary Crowley
      Nondual experiencing is not at all complicated. As a matter of fact, it's
      as simple as bumping into your kitchen table. One must only understand that
      when you bump into your kitchen table, you also bump into all the
      experiencing that arises from it. Your entire neurology simply reacts to
      the situation.
      When you understand that you and others don't consciously control the
      perceptions, thoughts, feelings, and emotions that arise in any situation,
      you are open to being the nondual experiencing of each moment. Bumping into
      a table is no different than encountering the rest of life. What you are is
      the experiencing of an inherited and conditioned neurology "bumping into"
      life situations.
      Whether you are bumping into a table, meeting a friend in the park,
      considering the pros and cons of "paper vs. plastic" in the checkout line,
      awed by a beautiful sunrise, or grieving the death of a loved one, it's all
      part of the experiencing of living. Pain, pleasure, confusion, beauty,
      amazement, and grief are some of the many elements of living that are
      experienced along the way.
      Every second of living is interpreted through the lens of your absolutely
      unique neurology that has been built and shaped through your genetics and
      life conditioning. You are the experiencing of your neurological lens
      meeting life. With this understanding, "living" becomes the magnificent and
      completely unique experiencing of each moment.
      The good news is that you are always already the experiencing of life.
      Whatever allows for the dismantling of "the illusion of conscious control
      over your present moment experiencing" will only free you to discover what
      you already are. And then there you'll be, the nondual experiencing you've
      been searching for, but that you have always already been. You'll simply be
      the dynamic experiencing of living - all "Am" and no "I."
      For a FREE Chapter of, From Here To Here: Turning Toward Enlightenment,
      please visit
      http://www.GaryCrowley.com. To read Jerry Katz's review of the
      book from Nonduality Highlight #2711, please visit
      http://www.nonduality.com/hl2711.htm

      from http://nitai.in/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171&sid=614c8fb7f728ceb692aeeaf17975ed4c

      God and People Suffering

      Postby Swami Gaurangapada on 15 Mar 2007, 12:40

      "A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard
      trimmed. The Barber began to work. They began to have a good
      conversation. They talked about so many things and various
      subjects. When they eventually touched on the subject of God,
      the barber said: "I don't believe that God exists.

      "Why do you say that?" asked the customer.

      "Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God
      doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick
      people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there
      would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God
      who would allow all of these things."

      The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he
      didn't want to start an argument. The barber finished his job and
      the customer left the shop.

      Just after he left the barber’s shop, he saw a man in the street with
      long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and
      unkempt. The customer turned back and entered the barbershop again
      and he said to the barber: "You know what? Barbers do not exist."

      "How can you say that?" asked the surprised Barber "I am here, and
      I am a barber. And I just worked on you!"

      "No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did,
      there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards like
      that man outside."

      "Ah, but barbers DO exist! What happens is people do not come to me."

      "Exactly!" affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist! What
      happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him. That's why
      there's so much pain and suffering in the world."

      Bill Rishel

      In physics black holes are referred to as singularities. What this roughly
      means is that all the laws of physics break down, all notions of time,
      space, dimension, etc. are collapsed.

      Black holes can serve as analogy for the living moment, for in the living
      moment there is no time, no is there distance (distance requires time).

      In the living moment all thoughts and forms collapse. In the intense
      vibrance of the moment consciousness becomes as a plasma, compressed as to
      a point, but also seemingly everywhere. The dream of events and happenings
      continues after a fashion, but diaphanously, transparently, as fleeting
      dreams, as shadows dancing on a wall. At the core is a vibrance of such
      intensity that whatever shadows there are instantly fade in significance.
      As the tongues of flame in a fire, such is the impermanent non- lastingness
      of events as they unfold from the vital life of the burning Now.

      There are those who will not understand this. There are those who will
      understand it perfectly. As with a black hole the notion of an "event
      horizon" applies. Once the "event horizon" is crossed there is a *falling
      in*. Having "fallen in" the immediacy of Now grows with crushing intensity.
      The dross of old notions, dearly held, are burned away. Eventually more and
      more the crust of self is melted and extinquished at the core, leaving a
      silent burning blaze.

      So it is not about ideas and understanding. It is about an event horizon,
      and its being crossed or not.

      The blaze of burning presence is utterly indifferent. And yet, somehow
      also, there is an *ache*, a yearning to reach back out across the infinite
      window of nothingness whereby everything collapsed to a singularity. Such
      yearnings are fleeting, just as the tongues of flame... but like the
      tongues of flame, the yearnings *are* again and again.
      Response by Mark Otter

      Yum!

      I've had an aversion to physics metaphors for spiritual matters,
      possibly because some seem to see the finger and not realize it's
      only pointing. But, I love this one. It's clear, and it's clear that
      it's  a metaphor.

      I thought of another this morning. I was talking with someone about
      planetary orbits, and explaining that there is no "hand of God"
      causing Mars to orbit the Earth, but that Mars is actually falling
      into the sun all the time. It just is moving sideways so fast that it
      keeps missing. Seems like an apt metaphor for my ego movements.
      By trying to exert control over my life, I'm moving sideways so fast
      that I fail to fall into God.

      consciously exerting the brakes on myself,

      Mark

      ps I don't know if actively trying to surrender is the ticket, but
      perhaps it serves as that braking mechanism, which allows the loss of
      ego momentum up to some point where the "falling into" just happens.
      It's a concept, but I think I'll explore it just for the fun of it.