#2767 - Thursday/Friday, March 22-23, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24 9:11 AM
      #2767 - Thursday/Friday, March 22-23, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz
      http://nonduality.com

      from http://theobvious.typepad.com/blog/2003/09/index.html

      A foundation of financial unrest

      Jon Husband, in an e-mail, pointed me at Rob Paterson's excellent blog in
      which he quotes the following extract From Sterling Hayden's book, Wanderer:

      "To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm
      foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise you are doomed to a routine
      traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who play with their boats at sea --
      "cruising," it is called.
      Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or
      will not, fit in.

      If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the
      venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is
      all about. "I've always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can't afford
      it." What these men can't afford is _not_ to go. They are enmeshed in the
      cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling
      our lives beneath the wheels of routine -- and before we know it our lives
      are gone.

      What does a man need -- really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and
      shelter, six feet to lie down in -- and some form of working activity that
      will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all-- in the material sense.
      And we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end
      up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous
      gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the
      charade. The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie
      caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is
      sealed. Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be:
      bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?"

      ----------------

      from http://zenfilter.blogspot.com/2005_09_01_archive.html

      66. Children of His Majesty

      Yamaoka Tesshu was a tutor of the emperor. He was also a master of fencing
      and a profound student of Zen.
      His home was the abode of vagabonds. He had but one suit of clothes, for
      they kept him always poor.
      The emperor, observing how worn his garments were, gave Yamaoka some money
      to buy new ones. The next time Yamaoka appeared he wore the same old outfit.
      'What became of the new clothes, Yamaoka?' asked the emperor.
      'I provided clothes for the children of Your Majesty,' explained Yamaoka.

      ---------------

      from the VanDwellers list:

      Posted by: "Jim Foreman"

      Back when I was building the Fokker
      http://www.jimforeman.com/Stories/fokker.htm I did much of the metal work in
      the machine shop of a friend who went by the name of "Moose". He mostly
      built dragster chassis but did some custom hotrod work. He got his start in
      that sort of business building chassis for Rose Bowl floats. He also built
      the car used on the Munsters on TV. He was an amazing designer and metal
      worker. He could look at a problem then sketch it out on a piece of paper or
      draw it on metal with soapstone and it would work.

      There was a guy in Dallas known as "Spider". He did nothing but
      pinstripe and having a "Spider job" was an ego thing among the hot rodders.
      His signature was a pinstripe spider. If you asked him what he got for a
      pinstripe job, he'd simply ask how much you wanted to spend and if you said
      anything under a hundred dollars, he'd laugh at you. When you came to an
      agreement on how much you wanted to spend, you paid him and then had to
      leave because he refused to work while anyone watched. He claimed that he
      didn't know what it would look like before he began, said that it came to
      him as he worked. He mostly traveled from one shop to another and you never
      knew when he'd show up some place. I saw him pull down five grand in two
      days and then he gave Moose $500 for using his paint room.

      He was a rather skuzzy looking character and stayed stoned most of the
      time. One day a kid stopped by the shop and after looking at him for a few
      seconds, asked, "Are you Jesus?"

      Spider replied, "No, I'm God."