#2761 - Saturday, March 17, 2007

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2007

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2761, Saturday, March 17, 2007

      By letting go our fascination with the extraordinary
      and spectacular, we can allow ourselves to recognize
      the simple wonder that lies within the ordinary.

      For life is its own purpose and doesn't need a reason
      to be. That is its beauty.

      - Tony Parsons, from As It Is" - The Open Secret of Spiritual Awakening, posted to AlongTheWay

      True happiness is uncaused and this cannot
      disappear for lack of stimulation. It is not
      the opposite of sorrow, it includes all sorrow
      and suffering.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, from I Am That - Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. posted to AlongTheWay

      IF

      If you can disentangle
      yourself from your selfish self
      all heavenly spirits
      will stand ready to serve you

      if you can finally hunt down
      your own beastly self
      you have the right
      to claim Solomon's kingdom

      you are that blessed soul who
      belongs to the garden of paradise
      is it fair to let yourself
      fall apart in a shattered house

      you are the bird of happiness
      in the magic of existence
      what a pity when you let
      yourself be chained and caged

      but if you can break free
      from this dark prison named body
      soon you will see
      you are the sage and the fountain of life

      - Rumi, translated by Nader Khalili, posted to DailyDharma

      The rest here is so invited because we can get ourselves really worked up, but also hear the bugle call of who you are. Hear the deep call and invitation to live that. And let yourself not know how, but don’t stuff it in a closet because you don’t know how, live the don’t know how. Walk into work not knowing how. Greet the clerk at the grocery store with "I don’t know how." It’s just the willingness that opens the door to the complete takeover.

      - Jeannie Zandi

      D: What should the devotee do then?

      M: He has only to live up to the words of the Master and work within. The Master is both "within" and "without,: so he creates conditions to drive you inward and at the same time prepares the "interior" from "without" and exerts a pull from "within,: so that you may be fixed at the Center. You think that the world can be conquered by your own efforts. When you are frustrated externally and are driven inward, you feel, "Oh there is a Power Higher than man!" The ego is like a very powerful elephant which cannot be brought under control by any less powerful than a lion, which in this instance, is no other than the Guru, whose very look makes the elephantlike ego tremble and die. You will know in due course that your glory lies where you cease to exist. In order to gain that state, you should surrender yourself. Then the Master sees that you are in a fit state to receive guidance, and he guides you.

      - Devotee, and Ramana Maharshi, from The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi