#2743 - Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2007
      #2743 - Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nondual Highlights

      Read the new book inspired by The Highlights: One: Essential Writings on Nonduality.
      Now at your local Borders bookstore, and through Amazon.com or Sentient Publications:

      Sentient Publications: http://sentientpublications.com

      "This book weaves the desire for nonduality, the teachings of Ramana Maharshi, self-realization confessions from major traditions, and the nondual perspectives of psychotherapy, education, art, and the movie The Matrix, to present a sweeping introduction to the teaching of nonduality. Diverse, sparkling, classic writings make-up this compilation, which might serve as a foundation to a collection of nonduality books."

      The Bear

      by Gary Crowley

      In the book, From Here To Here: Turning Toward Enlightenment, a very strong
      distinction is made between a “me,” which is an identity bound by the illusion
      of conscious will, and an “I,” which is the impersonal experiencing of
      this-here-now.

      One analogy given in the book is the following:

      There is a scene in the movie, The Bear, where a little bear cub is about to be
      attacked by a mountain lion. The little cub stands on its hind legs in an
      attempt to look intimidating. He is very impressed with himself when the
      mountain lion turns and runs away. What the little cub does not see is his
      10-foot tall, 1200-pound father standing upright behind him.

      As in this movie scene, the same event can have many different stories attached
      to it, depending on which perspective it is viewed from. Most human beings move
      through the world viewing themselves and everyone around them as a “me” with
      conscious will. It is a world of “bear cubs” all deluding themselves about the
      actuality of their experiencing. The real formative force (the 1200-pound bear)
      standing behind each of us is the sum of our inherited genetic and conditioned
      tendencies, none of which are within our conscious control.

      The natural human tendency is to ignore all but the most recent and obvious
      links in the chain of cause and effect as we encounter each life situation. The
      illusion of conscious will is so compelling that it often prevents us from
      turning to see the absurdity of our limited view. With a slightly wider
      perspective, it becomes quite clear that each event is merely the most recent
      link in the chain of cause and effect. It is the culmination of your inherited
      and conditioned neurology meeting a life situation.

      With understanding, the larger chain of cause and effect becomes dominant, and
      the illusionary “me” effortlessly fades. All that is required is a few steps
      backward and the spiritual seeker can then begin to understand that external
      circumstances don’t change with an awakening to enlightenment, only the way
      that things are seen changes. The mountain lion still runs away, but what
      changes is the understanding as to why it ran away.

      The awakened might say to the spiritual seeker, “I recognize the weight of the
      entire chain of cause and effect that bears on each moment; you recognize only
      one link.” The awakened recognizes the totality of life’s karma, (“karma”
      literally translates as “cause and effect”). They have seen through the karma
      of “tit for tat, this for that,” which could only manifest through the lens of
      separateness known as the illusion of conscious will.

      The more wisdom there is about the immense weight of the chain of cause and
      effect, the less of an illusionary “me” there is left to block the experiencing
      of your already enlightened being.

      Have you seen through the world of the imaginary “me’s” flexing their
      illusionary conscious wills? Is there a sense of the entire impersonal karmic
      chain of cause and effect, which far outweighs any illusionary “me”? Is there a
      wisdom of life’s inertia that flavors the experiencing of this-here-now in a
      way that allows all the illusionary “me’s” to fade into the distance?

      Once you turn and see the 1200-pound bear standing in the background of each
      moment, the illusionary “me,” though cute when standing on its hind legs, is
      seen for what it is: an illusionary player in the chain of cause and effect.
      And then you are free as the experiencing of this-here-now.

      ~ ~ ~

      For a FREE Chapter of, From Here To Here: Turning Toward Enlightenment, please
      visit http://www.GaryCrowley.com.

      To read Jerry Katz’s review of the book from Nonduality Highlight #2711, please