#2742 - Monday, February 26, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2007

      #2742 - Monday, February 26, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      ADYASHANTI – from Initial Awakening

      Conversation with Tom (Tape 5a 49:29-b)

      Tom: Hi!

      Adya: Welcome Tom

      Tom: Good to see you again. I want to go back to this Ultimate Reality or
      Truth.

      Adya: Oh, good

      Tom: Cause I guess I'm getting it piece by piece. I'm one of these really
      slow guys. I mean so slow I may never get it. So, from what you're saying it
      sounds like "gap" or the "gateless gate" or whatever is in fact this
      Presence. And my question is: 'is that it?' I mean is that the end of the
      story, basically and that it all unfolds from that or is there more to it --or
      is that it?

      Adya: That's it! For you right now that's it. What's 'it' is to realize that you
      are that simple awake Presence. That's the fundamental realization. Of
      course you can explain it and the mind will go, okay I can buy that, I'll
      understand it. It's not that, it's the realization, it's the fundamental flash
      of recognition: "Oh I'm not Tom! That's not what I am. Tom happening.
      There's nothing wrong with Tom. It's not what I am. Tom is infused, being
      lived by this Presence, Consciousness, whatever you want to call it. That's
      the fundamental realization. That is the fundamental realization.

      Tom: Okay but there's more beyond that I take it.

      Adya: Like what?

      Tom: It seems from the way you talk about it that there's kind of a

      Adya: there's a process of sort of embodying it as a human being through
      the persona

      Tom: but there 's also kind of unfolding of this larger truth of like you said
      yesterday, the many perspectives on any given issue or …

      Adya: those perspectives have nothing to do with Truth. Those are not
      important. They're just perspectives.

      Tom: Yeah but..

      Adya: It's a total non-attachment to them.

      Tom: Right.

      Adya: An effortless non-attachment to particular perspectives. The only
      thing we attach to is because we have identity wrapped up in it. That's why
      we attach.

      Tom: Right.

      Adya: That's the only reason we attach. That's why we attach to ideas
      because we have identity wrapped up in them. We attach to memories
      'cause we have identity wrapped up in them, attach to personas because we
      have identity wrapped up in them. I don't want to get to much into "what's
      more" because then the mind just goes into the future. That's irrelevant.
      Right.

      Gap here, next tape:

      Adya: The birds outside; that's the presence, these flowers next to us;
      that's the presence, the microphone in your hand; that's the presence. You
      want to find God, it's in your hand. You want to go to heaven, you're sitting
      in heaven. There's the fundamental realization. We're always going
      somewhere else. Have you ever noticed? Heaven is somewhere. Somewhere
      other than here. Somewhere other than Now, in some situation that's
      better, that's more halo-enshrouded, more whatever. This is it! Your stinky
      socks. That's God. You want to worship something worthwhile? Take them
      off. Put them on your altar, light incense. You know I want to see a clear
      manifestation of the Divine. Unadulterated. Undistorted. It's your sock.
      Take a good sniff. I know it sounds funny but I am also being serious. We
      keep dividing the world up. The fundamental realization is that everything is
      That. And in our most fundamental sense the nature of Everything is
      Nothing. Everything is an emanation and expression of the Nothingness that
      we are.

      Tom: This whole idea or sense of presence is the first time I have kind of
      connected with what you have been talking about.

      Adya: That’s the doorway. You open to the felt sense of Presence. Yes.

      Tom: It's a little 'p' now, it's not a big 'P' …

      Adya: Don't ask for the big one. You pay attention to what's given. Right?
      There's a sense of presence, oh it's given. Put your mind there. As
      Nisargardatta used to say 'affectionate attention', 'affectionate
      awareness.' Putting your 'Oh, the Presence' and the willingness to feel, to
      open to it, to sense of it, giving yourself to it. This can become the doorway,
      the invitation. If our mind says 'well, you know it's just like a little sense of
      felt Presence, and you know, I want the big explosion or I want the
      Oneness thing or I want to realize that I am the bird or the Chevy outside’
      ….. I'm not there yet. Then we actually start to dismiss what's being given in
      the moment.

      Tom: The denial.

      Adya: The denial. And you see the smallest thing contains everything.
      Everything. The smallest thing contains everything. So you give your
      attention to this one small thing and it reveals everything. So if that
      resonates for you, you can get Ah! --that felt sense of presence, right, an
      inner sense of presence, inner sense of silence. That's what to put
      attention on, cause then at least your spirituality is not an intellectual
      pursuit at that point.

      Tom: Right that's my major problem.

      Adya: So presence is going to be a great invitation for you.

      Tom: So the main topic of this whole retreat has been how to make it a
      priority, we have to devote ourselves in some way to this quest. I don't
      know whatever you want to call it but you haven't talked much about that.
      I wondered if…

      Adya: Primarily because either you got it or you don't. You can't bake up any
      phony intention in this game. Either you actually want the truth or you
      actually want the awakening of truth, you actually want the truth more
      than you want anything else. You want the truth more than you want to feel
      good. The truth feels good but you can't get there if you want to feel good
      more than you want the truth. You want the Truth no matter what. Of
      course, it is there in everybody, and everybody is the truth. It's a matter
      of connecting with that point in yourself. It's not an anxious thing. "I want
      the Truth and I'm just about to explode, I want it so bad." That's a surface
      thing. What I am talking about is something that's very deep, very vast, very
      broad. Actually, it's quiet.

      Tom: The word intention I think captures it for me.

      Adya: There's the intention of the Truth, of my Being.

      Tom: So out of that will flow whatever needs to be done, I take it. I mean
      you spent 15 years of pretty hard work, it sounds like. Most of the people I
      hear about that have

      Adya: Pretty much

      Tom: achieved something have done that. And yet you talk about it can
      happen in a moment.

      Adya: It does happen, it can happen ..

      Tom: But it seems like to me there is something I need to do.

      Adya: That's the fundamental illusion. I thought that too. If you want to
      play out that fundamental illusion for 15 years like I did, have at it. Go at it.
      Maybe you'll burn out.

      Tom: I've been doing it for ten years.

      Adya: Well hell, that's long enough. That's the fundamental illusion. Right?
      That I have to do something, that I have to do something to get
      somewhere. It just simply ain't true. It's not, not, not, not, true. If it
      takes you 30 years to get yourself to the point where you are willing to
      consider a different possibility then okay. Maybe it took you or maybe it
      took a lot of people 30 years of hard spiritual labor to go "hey, I don't
      have to hang out in the is prison forever." The door has always been open. I
      just thought I had to earn myself a ticket out of here. But there's not
      ticket and there's no gatekeeper. Boy, do I feel dumb now.

      Tom: You look at Buddhism and all this history and you see that they talk
      about lifetimes to achieve what you're talking about. Adya: Yeah, they are
      full of crap.

      Tom: Okay.

      Adya: I tell you -unenlightened people talk about lifetimes, enlightened
      people do not. Period. Tradition I came from, they don't talk about
      lifetimes. You go to Zen …. You meet a real Zen master who’s awake ... any
      of them in history, any of them in history that have been awake …. you will
      not hear them talking about lifetimes. It's always wake up right here, right
      now, this life. This is it. Right here, right now. That's the essence of it.
      Right here, right now. No lifetimes.

      Tom: So those folks that are talking about lifetimes are the ones that
      aren't there.

      Adya: They're propagating a tradition, which is fine. It's just completely
      irrelevant. It is the denial of Truth right now. I'm not saying someone can't
      wake up through that kind of tradition. The problem is when they wake up
      they actually turn around and think it's the tradition that got them there
      and so they keep propagating the same nonsense. You see what I mean? If I
      fell off a barstool, hit my head on the ground and I suddenly woke up and
      became enlightened, I might have a propensity to have all my students
      gather in bars and lob themselves off of stools. A rather ridiculous
      endeavor, wouldn't you think? It would be insane, wouldn't it?

      Tom: Yeah.

      Adya: And yet guess what happens? I was in this tradition and I was
      believing in lifetimes da-a-da-a-da and somehow through all that morass of
      complications I luckily, through grace, woke-up. And the tendency of this
      mind is to say "I woke up because of all that." But if you examine it, there
      is no causal relationship. You cannot make a direct cause-effect relationship.
      It just can't be done. You see?

      Tom: Yeah.

      Adya: Just think about it, I mean look at it with clear eyes, your own
      intelligence, your own innate intelligence. Look at the traditions, if they are
      in the business of pumping out enlightened beings, if that's what it's really
      all about: "We are here to help you become enlightened, welcome into our
      doors” … right? And you as a good consumer advocate you come and say
      “wonderful”. Okay, how many out of every thousand people that walk into
      your door and join your tradition and go through the process, how many
      enlightened beings do you pump out? And most places they are going to
      start going, "Um, ah”, clearing throat, “um, would you like some tea?" Right?
      Maybe one. That's not good for advertising, is it?

      Tom: No, it's not.

      Adya: What is good for advertising is, "it's a long term thing, it's many
      lifetimes, folks, everybody dedicate themselves but don't think that it's
      actually going to work in this lifetime. Come on, get over it, just join in” ….

      Tom: Very interesting.

      Adya: I am just suggesting that we use a little consumer advocacy here.
      What works and what doesn't work. Right? And if we are going to look at
      things with clear eyes it's like a scientific method, either I want to see
      what's true or I don't. And a lot of untruths have been around for 2000
      years, haven't they? Science knows that. Most of science, there was things,
      the world was flat — how long was that around before we discovered it
      wasn't? But there were a lot of wise people that thought it was flat,
      weren't there? Really wise people. And we find out it's not. And yet, for
      some immense taboo that surrounds spirituality, that we don't think we can
      actually look and just go … does this stuff work? What works and what
      doesn't? It's not all nonsense by any means. There's some good stuff in it.

      There's some great stuff in it. Unbelievably good stuff. But there is as
      much crap as there is good stuff. There is as much culture as there is truth.
      There's as much baggage … so if we start to see through this. Wait a
      minute, what's true, what's not, what's useful, what's not, what confuses,
      what's not, what causes people to delay, what causes them not to delay,
      what causes them to go into a trance, what doesn't? Anyway, you don't
      want to get me going on this. I encourage people to do what a lot of the
      people who really woke up do. The same people we intend to regard
      (highly), like the Buddha for example. The Buddha, he visited the traditions,
      right? He was very much a Hindu and went through the whole thing, and
      after he went through the whole thing, a lot of teachers, a lot of
      teachings, he said, "You know, I'm not enlightened! Hasn't happened. I am
      going to sit down. I am going to figure this out for myself.”

      {sound of a train whistle going by}

      Thank you Buddha. . It's this essential sense of pulling energy back from all
      the ways we put it, not so we come into an arrogant place where we think I
      know everything, but we pull energy back and we really look. ‘cause you
      see, everything I have talked about, can you see how it keeps attention out
      there? Life-times, and this and that and the other. And this is about you and
      me, isn't it? It's about you, it's about me. It's about, "What am I?" It's
      not about how many damn prostrations I can do. It's about who the hell is
      doing them. It's not about how many hours I can sit twisted up. It's about
      "Who's sitting here and why?” It's not about, "I'm seeking enlightenment",
      it's you don't even know who you are. Why seek enlightenment when you
      don't even know who you are that's seeking it. It's this sort of reality
      check-in. It's this "Oh" the sobering up. This is about me. This is about the
      truth about me. It's always been about the truth about me. Can you feel
      this sort of energy that keeps going out? It starts to come back. What am
      I, right here, right now. this instant.

      Tom: Pretty basic.

      Adya: You get it? Pretty basic, huh?

      Tom: Pretty simple, pretty basic, actually.

      Adya: Very, very, very basic. Through the traditions there's beautiful things,
      even through the complicated ones. Through Tibetan Buddhism, you've got
      Dzog-chen. Beautiful pointing-out instructions. Through Zen, of course,
      you've got the questions, "Who am I? What's the face before your parents
      were born?" … that kind of stuff. In the tradition of Ramana you've got a
      very direct, "Who am I?” These are totally direct. Spirituality distilled down
      to its least acceptable form. Right? Because it serves no other agenda
      besides awakening. And yet you pick it up and you've got something atomic
      in your hands. Because it is distilled down to what it's all about. And you
      look into yourself and you see a thought is a thought and a feeling is a
      feeling and an experience is an experience and there is something that's
      before thought, there is something that sees thoughts. There is something
      that notices experience or is experiencing experience. There is something
      that is the ultimate perceiver of all perceptions. There is this sort of
      natural moving back into, right, you get back there and this, whatever this
      is, there becomes a sense of presence as you get closer into the core of
      this that's perceiving, this that is awake. It's sort of like getting close to
      the sun. It emanates a warmth. It emanates a presence. That's why
      presence is talked about. And you just sort of are drawn in. You want to go
      to the sun, you don't move away from the warmth, you move towards it.
      You'll run into the sun. The presence is like the emanation from truth, from
      our own emptiness and it draws you in. There is no theory about it, is there?
      There is no "ism" to it. There is nothing to believe. There is nothing to not
      believe. At that moment you are as far away from all the structures of
      thought, religious, philosophical and otherwise as you could ever be, and you
      are finally alone with yourself. And only then can this I reveal itself. It’s
      not who I can become, you see. That's why lives don't mean anything. Many
      lives. It's what I am, this life, the next life, the last 400 lives. What I am
      now, what I have always been. Not what I can become. I do not become
      enlightened. That's a myth. It's what am I now, what I was then, not what
      will I be anytime in the future.

      Tom: Once you have that sense, you are all those lives, you are all the past
      lives.

      Adya: That's right. You realize this, that's awake, this is what has been
      informing all of them. It was always there. Right? It was always there.

      Tom: Right.

      Adya: That's the marvelously illuminating Buddha Mind, as Bankei used to
      say. Already here.

      Tom: Good. Thank you.

      Adya: Thanks for letting me rant. And having said that, I also quite
      paradoxically have a great, great respect and a real soft spot in my heart,
      believe it or not, given the way I talk about it, but a real soft spot for the
      tradition that I came from. I have a very soft spot for many traditions
      because they're part of the process for a lot of people too. It's like
      everything else that we also have to be willing to see the totality of them.
      So even though I have a tremendous gratitude for my tradition, my
      gratitude did not stop me from seeing what I thought was useful and what I
      thought was useless. But there's a tremendous gratitude for them. Actually
      for all of them. Almost everyone in this room has come through one of them
      in some way or another or at some time or another.

      And so, in that sense, they all serve, if only to get us finally Nowhere. Right.
      Then they have served.  I like to say Zen was a great place, it allowed me
      to fail. I needed to fail, so I did.

      (19:50)
      Thanks to Mark Scorelle and Helga of Wisdom-l