#2740 - Sunday, February 25, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2007
      #2740 - Sunday, February 25, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      The theme for this issue is simplicity.

      Q: How much "ego" do I need?
      A: Just enough so that you don't step in front of a bus.
          --Shunryu Suzuki

      posted to Advaita To Zen

      An extract from a recent satsang with Pamela Wilson

      " Ramana's great question was, "Who am I?"

      Nowadays it's easy to see that we are this formless
      intelligence inside. Yet so many of us, in our innocence,
      still think that thought is thought, and that it's an object,
      and that it's going to be there for eternity, yacking away
      about nothing, bothering us.

      Now, if we are not who we are, how come everything else
      is who they are? Wouldn't it make more sense to say,
      "Well, if I'm not my role, maybe nothing else is its role."

      And rather than wondering what that role is, just ask it
      directly, "Who are you?" It's so much faster than trying
      to figure it out.

      You don't ask it, "Who am I?"

      One of thought's functions is to project onto you,
      because you have no form. It has to come up with
      projection after projection, and just in case you relax
      out of your role it has to create an diversion, quickly.

      So ask it, "Who are you?"

      Curiosity is the way wisdom gets revealed inside. It is the
      forerunner of wisdom. Curiosity arises and, if you sit with
      it, connected right underneath is the wisdom. They are
      not two.

      Each one of these servants inside, from the most
      irritating of emotions, can reveal an incredible amount of
      wisdom when you interview it. First of all they show you
      their functions, and if you have ever had curiosity about
      how creation was created, or how bodies function, or
      what the nature of emotion is, or the nature of thought,
      or the nature of wisdom, all of it is there. These are
      amazing biocomputers, and you can ask and they will
      reveal anything you want to know.

      Be really tender with thought. The pressure we put on it
      is extraordinary. It's only because thought is also the
      great mystery that it is able to function with all that
      pressure of disapproval and dislike and aversion and "I
      wish you would be quiet" - and all our rude projections:
      that you are not spiritual and you are the only thing
      keeping me from my freedom, and would you please just
      shut up!

      That is why in all the great spiritual traditions, at their
      heart is tenderness - just to be kind inside, and then
      everything rights itself. Fear rests. Confusion rests.
      Everything that was perturbing the system rests. Because
      they know that when you are tender inside you no longer
      need their services, because you have returned to your
      true nature."

      Mark Scorelle posted to Wisdom-l

      The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the
      fish are caught, the trap is forgotten.

      The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When
      the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten.

      The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas
      are grasped, the words are forgotten.

      Where can I find a man who has forgotten words?

      He is the one I would like to talk to. -

      Chuang Tzu

      In our souls everything
      moves guided by a mysterious hand.
      We know nothing of our own souls
      that are ununderstandable and say nothing.

      The deepest words
      of the wise man teach us
      the same as the whistle of the wind when it blows
      or the sound of the water when it is flowing.

      ~ Antonio Machado ~

      (The Soul is Here for Its Own Joy, trans. by Robert Bly)

      Nearing Hao-pa

      By Yuan Mei
      (1716 - 1798)

      English version by J. P. Seaton

      (I saw in the mist a little village of a few tiled roofs and joyfully admired it.)

      There's a stream, and there's bamboo,
      there's mulberry and hemp.
      Mist-hid, clouded hamlet,
      a mild, tranquil place.
      Just a few tilled acres.
      Just a few tiled roofs.
      How many lives would I
      have to live, to get
      that simple.

      -- from A Drifting Boat: Chinese Zen Poetry, Edited by J. P. Seaton / Edited by Dennis Maloney

      Poetry Chaikhana Home