#2740 - Saturday, February 24, 2007

  • markotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2007

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2740, Saturday, February 24, 2007

      To write something
      and leave it behind us,
      It is but a dream.
      When we awake we know
      There is not even anyone to read it.

      - Ikkyu, posted to DailyDharma

      Any Morning

      Just lying on the couch and being happy.
      Only humming a little, the quiet sound in the head.
      Trouble is busy elsewhere at the moment, it has
      so much to do in the world.

      People who might judge are mostly asleep; they can't
      monitor you all the time, and sometimes they forget.
      When dawn flows over the hedge you can
      get up and act busy.

      Little corners like this, pieces of Heaven
      left lying around, can be picked up and saved.
      People wont even see that you have them,
      they are so light and easy to hide.

      Later in the day you can act like the others.
      You can shake your head. You can frown.

      - William Stafford, posted to Panhala

      We seem not to see that, as we march towards
      the next anticipated "spiritual" high, the treasure
      that we seek is to be discovered not in where we
      are going, but within the simple nature of the very
      footsteps that we take. In our rush to find a better
      situation in time, we trample over the flower of
      beingness that presents itself in every moment.

      - Tony Parsons, As It Is - The Open Secret of Spiritual Awakening, posted to AlongTheWay

      The penetrating intellect, when separated from its friends,
      becomes like an archer whose bow is broken.
      When something makes you rejoice in this world,
      consider at that moment the parting from it.
      Many have been gladdened by what made you glad,
      yet in the end like the wind it escaped.
      It will escape from you, too: don't set your heart upon it.
      Escape from it before it flies from you.
      Before the slipping away of your possessions,
      say to the form of created things, like Mary,
      "I take refuge from you with the Merciful God."*

      *Maryam, 18

      - Rumi, Mathnawi III: 3693; 3698-3700, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance

      Divinity

      Every natural object
      is a conductor of
      Divinity .. .

      Standing alone
      on a mountain top
      it is easy to realize that ...

      Whatever special nests we make ...
      leaves and moss like the marmots and birds
      or tents of piled stone ...

      We all dwell
      in a house of
      one room.