#2737 - Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2007

      #2737 - Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      The theme for this issue is renunciation.

      Even if you have nothing,
      It is hard to find that contentment
      Which comes from renunciation.

      I accept nothing.
      I reject nothing.

      And I am happy.

      --Ashtavakra Gita 13:1

      From "The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita," by Thomas Byrom, 1990

              One of the signs of God-realization is joy.
              There is absolutely no hesitancy in such a
              person, who is like an ocean in joyous
              waves.  But deep beneath the surface, there
              is profound silence and peace.

                      --Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

      Great Swan:  Meetings with Ramakrishna
      by Lex Hixon

      posted to Along The Way

      Arjuna: O Krishna, you have recommended both the path of
      selfless action and sannyasa, the path of renunciation of
      action. Tell me definitely which is better.

      Sri Krishna: Both renunciation of action and the selfless
      performance of action lead to the supreme goal. But the
      path of action is better than renunciation.

      Those who have attained perfect renunciation are free
      from any sense of duality; they are unaffected by likes and
      dislikes, Arjuna, and are free from the bondage of self-will.

      --Bhagavad Gita 5:1-3

      Excerpted from The Bhagavad Gita, translated by Eknath Easwaran

      Usually we think of renunciation as celibacy, poverty,
      obedience, shaving your head, going off somewhere and
      leaving everything behind. Trungpa Rinpoche gave a Tantric,
      nondual interpretation of renunciation: "Renunciation means
      to let go of holding back." Can we let go of holding back?
      Can we relinquish our fears and defenses?

      --Lama Surya Das

      posted to Daily Dharma

      The core of Dharma practice is freeing oneself from the
      attachments of this life. It focuses on the deeper issue of
      gaining complete release from discontent by means of
      freeing our minds from the afflictions of confusion,
      attachment, and anger. In a broader sense, Dharma practice
      is concerned with serving others, in terms of both their
      temporary and ultimate needs.

      Does this mean that one who is committed to Dharma
      suddenly renounces all worldly enjoyments--no more
      vacations, no entertainment, no sensory pleasures? No. If
      one tries that approach it usually results in spiritual burnout;
      and the common rebound is equally extreme sensual
      indulgence. For this reason, the practice of Buddhist Dharma
      is often called The Middle Way because it seeks to avoid
      the extremes of sensual indulgence and severe asceticism.
      The former leads to perpetual dissatisfaction and the
      latter damages one's physical and mental health.... The
      Middle Way is a sensitive exertion of effort that is neither
      lax nor aggressive, and from this practice there ultimately
      arises an increasing satisfaction and delight in virtuous
      activity that is a result of our spiritual transformation.

      --B. Alan Wallace, Tibetan Buddhism from the Ground Up

      There are those sleeping who are awake,
      and others awake who are sound asleep.

      Some of those bathing in sacred pools
      will never get clean.