#2736 - Tuesday, February 19, 2007 - Editor: Gloria

  • EditGlo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2007

      #2736 - Tuesday, February 19, 2007 - Editor: Gloria

      Nondual Highlights
      The theme for this issue is the nameless.
      With thanks to Mark Scorelle of Wisdom-l
      for many of these quotes. His list is centered
      around Paul Brunton's teachings.
      The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
      The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
      The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.
      The named is the mother of ten thousand things.
      Ever desireless, one can see the mystery.
      Ever desiring, one sees the manifestations.
      These two spring from the same source but differ in name;
      this appears as darkness.
      Darkness within darkness.
      The gate to all mystery.

      Tao Te Ching
      Translation by Gia-fu Feng and Jane English
      posted to Along The Way

      "Look closely and you will see that all names and forms are
      but transitory waves on the ocean of consciousness, that
      only consciousness can be said to be, not its
      transformations. In the immensity of consciousness a light
      appears, a tiny point that moves rapidly and traces shapes,
      thoughts and feelings, concepts and ideas, like the pen
      writing on paper. And the ink that leaves a trace is memory.
      You are that tiny point, and by your movement the world is
      ever re-created. Stop moving and there will be no world.
      Look within and you will find that the point of light is the
      reflection of the immensity of light in the body, as the
      sense "I am". There is only light, all else appears. To the
      mind, it [that light] appears as darkness. It can be known
      only through its reflections. All is seen in daylight - except
      daylight. To be the point of light tracing the world is turiya.
      To be the light itself is turiyatita. But of what use are
      names when reality is so near?"

      --Sri Nisargadatta

       It is a state of pure intelligence but without the working of the
      intellectual and ideational process. Its product may be named
      intuition. There are no automatically conceived ideas present in it,
      no habitually followed ways of thinking. It is pure, clear,

      --Paul Brunton, Notebooks

      "Man's entire problem is that he is unaware of being
      unaware, so  self-rescue begins with a new consciousness."

      --Vernon Howard
      "True success is not based on deeds or education or experience,
      but always and only on how much of his artificial self a man has
      --Vernon Howard

      Everything Comes Back to Nothing

      Inexplicably it comes. When you least expect it. For a reason you can
      never know. One moment you are striving, figuring, imagining, and
      then, in the blink of an eye, it all disappears. The struggle
      disappears. The striving disappears. The person disappears. The world
      disappears. Everything disappears, and the person is like a pinpoint
      of light, just receding until it disappears. And there's nobody there
      to witness it. The person is gone. Only, only awareness remains.
      Nothing else. No one to be aware. Nothing to be aware of. Only that
      remains itself. Then it's understood, finally and simply.

      Then everything—all the struggle, all the striving, all the thinking,
      all the figuring, all the surrendering, all the letting go, all the
      grabbing hold of, all the praying, all the begging, all the cursing,
      too—was just a distraction. And only then is it seen that the person
      was, is, and ever will be no more than a thought. With a single
      thought, the person seems to reemerge. With more thoughts, the world
      seems to reemerge right out of nothing. But now you know.

      From a longer article on

      Going beyond. from Clarity

      So there's an awareness of this room right now, but what about the unmanifest level?

      What unmanifest level? Isn't what's appearing enough?

      The appearance is merely a pointer to what is beyond Consciousness.

      Why do you want to go beyond?

      Because that's where all the action is, for creating this manifestation.

      This manifestation isn't created - it spontaneously appears.

      But ultimately there's nothing more important than what is beyond Consciousness.

      When there's exclusive identification with the content of awareness, with the story of 'me' as an imagined entity, there's a tendency for the awareness aspect of Consciousness to be objectified as 'the beyond', a state or realm which once attained will offer oneness, lasting peace.

      But in actuality there is no beyond, nothing to be attained 'ultimately'. There's simply this as it is: simple presence. This is already that 'realm'. Consciousness (awareness and the presently appearing content of awareness) is already one or whole, and when the story of 'me' - of identification - is seen as just a play, a movie, then all pursuit of oneness, all pursuit of the beyond or whatever, quite naturally becomes obsolete.

      I am a fountain, You are my water.

      By Zeynep Hatun
      (20th Century)

      English version by Murat Yagan

      I am a fountain, You are my water.
      I flow from You to You.

      I am an eye, You are my light,
      I look from You to You.

      You are neither my right nor my left.
      You are my foot and my arm as well.

      I am a traveler, You are my road.
      I go from You to You.

      -- from Women in Sufism: A Hidden Treasure - Writings and Stories of Mystics Poets, Scholars & Saints,

      Edited by Camille Adams Helminski

      Poetry Chaikhana Home