#2730 - Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - Editor: Gloria

  • EditGlo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14 7:35 PM

      #2730 - Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - Editor: Gloria

      Nondual Highlights

      Happy Valentine's Day to all our readers.
      This issue is made of hearts, that is, heart quotes.

      Sound arises in the inner sky of pure consciousness, the
      heart-space in the head, the sky of the heart. What
      manifests is Life-Power, the One.
      --Nityananda, (Sutra 37)

      "The ancient, effulgent being, the indwelling spirit, subtle,
      deep-hidden in the lotus of the Heart, is hard to know. But
      the wise man following the path of meditation, knows him
      and is freed alike from pleasures and pain."
      --Katha Upanishad, p. 17-18

      Learning how to love is the goal and the purpose of spiritual
      life — not learning how to develop psychic powers, not
      learning how to bow, chant, do yoga, or even meditate, but
      learning to love. Love is the truth. Love is the light.

      --Lama Surya Das, in Awakening to the Sacred

      The practice of metta, uncovering the force of love that can
      uproot fear, anger, and guilt, begins with befriending
      ourselves. The foundation of metta practice is to know how
      to be our own friend. According to the Buddha, "You can
      search throughout the entire universe for someone who is
      more deserving of your love and affection than you are
      yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You
      yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve
      your love and affection." How few of us embrace ourselves
      in this way! With metta practice we uncover the possibility of
      truly respecting ourselves. We discover, as Walt Whitman put
      it, "I am larger and better than I thought. I did not think I
      held so much goodness."

      --Sharon Salzberg, Lovingkindness

      Sonnet XVII

      I don't love you as if you were the salt-rose, topaz
      or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:
      I love you as certain dark things are loved,
      secretly, between the shadow and the soul.

      I love you as the plant that doesn't bloom and carries
      hidden within itself the light of those flowers,
      and thanks to your love, darkly in my body
      lives the dense fragrance that rises from the earth.

      I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
      I love you simply, without problems or pride:
      I love you in this way because I don't know any other way of loving

      but this, in which there is no I or you,
      so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand,
      so intimate that when I fall asleep it is your eyes that close

      ~ Pablo Neruda ~

      (100 Love Sonnets: Cien Sonetos De Amor, trans. by Stephen Tapscott)

      Bark Scar Heart by Rick Ruggles
      www.foundhearts.com

      from Awake Mind, Open Heart by Cynthia Kneen
      The Strong Heart

      "When we say a person has HEART, it doesn't mean they
      are weak and sentimental. We mean they are willing to be
      exposed, willing to be touched nakedly by the world. They
      are strong enough not to wear a suit of armor. They are not
      afraid of their own experience. In this sense heart is the
      one hundred percentness of experience. It is a strength and
      fullness in you that come from putting your awareness in
      the actual experience you are experiencing. This is true
      even of negative experiences. With a strong heart you are
      able to be gentle and sympathetic to all your experiences,
      not only the pleasant ones."

      from Zen 24/7 by Philip Toshio Sudo
      The Humble Heart

      "Masters of the Japanese tea ceremony use the term
      kokoro ire, or, 'inclusion of the heart's spirit.' The best tea
      ceremonies have nothing to do with fancy surroundings or
      making a good impression; the determinant of success is the
      sincere and humble heart of the host."

      from Heart by Gail Godwin
      Largeness of Heart

      "The prime virtue in the Confucian system is jen. Jen is the
      combination of 'human being' and 'two.' It is best
      translated as 'human-heartedness.' In the sociable
      Confucian ethic, one cannot become a person by oneself.
      Jen simultaneously embraces humanity toward others and
      respect for yourself. If you are a person of jen, you have
      the capacity to measure the feelings of others by your own.
      In public and private life, this means you have a largeness of
      heart that seeks to affirm others as you yourself would
      wish to be affirmed."

      All That Matters

      It doesn't matter what Consciousness (or consciousness) means.
      It doesn't matter what subject/object or duality means.
      It doesn't matter what non-duality means.
      First must come Freedom.
      Understanding will follow.
      All that matters is following your own heart.

      That is the only way to be free.

      And being free is all that matters.

      No one can stop you from following your heart.
      So no one can stop you from being free.

      That is the only *real* choice...to follow one's own heart.

      To follow your heart your must know your heart.

      So first is Inquiry into one's heart.
      Inquiry means to go *into* one's heart,
      and to go deeper, and deeper, and deeper...

      And Inquiry means to *abide* in one's heart.
      When speaking, let the speaking be from the heart.
      When looking, let the looking be from the heart.
      Even when thinking, let your heart be in the thinking.

      And in the end one is living the heart in everything,
      one is following the heart in everything,
      one becomes Heart.

      And there is nothing outside of Heart.
      Heart is all.

      It is who you are.

      --Bill Rishel posted on AdvaitaToZen

      from #1508 - Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - Editor: Joyce (Know_Mystery)
      http://www.nonduality.com/hl1508.htm