#2728 - Monday, February 12, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

  • EditGlo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12 3:32 PM

      #2728 - Monday, February 12, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      "FREEDOM FROM THE PAST

      'I would like freedom from my terrible past.'

      'You are now free from it.'

      'But I don't feel it.'

      'That is because you are thinking instead of realizing.
        Thought functioning as memory seems to tie you to the
        past, but it is an illusory rope. When thinking about the past
        you think about it _now_. Now is all there is, so right now
        you are free from the past.'"

      --Vernon Howard, There is a Way Out, p. 79

      My home can be anywhere, heaven or earth.
      All I need is room in my heart.
      And a good source of water, of course.

      If I'm on a mountain, I can set my own pace.
      Down here, I'm busy now putting away herbs.
      But even when I'm not busy I still don't read much.

      You need room in your heart... a big empty space
      To sort out what's real from what's not.

      --Master Hsu Yun

      Like a man floating in water who dies of thirst, afraid of
      drowning: so are those who are learned who do not apply the
      teaching. Like a person skilled in medicine who can't cure his
      own disease: so are those who are learned who do not apply
      the teaching. Like a deaf musician who pleases others, not
      hearing himself: So are those who are learned who do not
      apply the teaching. Like someone on a corner saying all kinds
      of fine things, while having no real inner virtue: so are those
      who don't practice.

      --The Flower Ornament Scripture, trans. by Thomas Cleary

      Some people think that they will practice the dharma once
      they have finished with their worldly business. This is a
      mistaken attitude because our work in the world never
      finishes. Work is like a ripple of water continually moving on
      the surface of the ocean. It is very difficult to break free
      from our occupations in order to practice dharma. The busy
      work with which we fill our lives is only completed at the time
      of our death.

      --Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Meaningful to Behold

      Anything that acts as an antidote to self-grasping is Dharma
      practice. Whereas, even though we may engage in a great
      variety of practices that may appear to be spiritual, if they
      do not act to destroy our self-grasping, they are not Dharma
      practice.

      --Gomo Tulku, "Becoming a Child of the Buddhas"

      Thanks, Robert Frost

      Do you have hope for the future?
      someone asked Robert Frost, toward the end.
      Yes, and even for the past, he replied,
      that it will turn out to have been all right
      for what it was, something we can accept,
      mistakes made by the selves we had to be,
      not able to be, perhaps, what we wished,
      or what looking back half the time it seems
      we could so easily have been, or ought...
      The future, yes, and even for the past,
      that it will become something we can bear.
      And I too, and my children, so I hope,
      will recall as not too heavy the tug
      of those albatrosses I sadly placed
      upon their tender necks. Hope for the past,
      yes, old Frost, your words provide that courage,
      and it brings strange peace that itself passes
      into past, easier to bear because
      you said it, rather casually, as snow
      went on falling in Vermont years ago.

      --David Ray, from Music of Time: Selected and New Poems